• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop it NFL...get rid of 2pt conversions .. go back to 1 pt conversion only POLL IT !

After a TD, then what?

• Only 1 pt conversion is good (olden times)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • either 1 pt or 2pt conversion is good (todays)

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Make even more options available (future?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The NFL has made all scoring too easy (outta here NFL)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My favorite option, I think, wasn't listed. I only read about this recently, and I think I like it.

For the past couple years, many coaches have advocated getting rid of the one-point conversion altogether, making a touchdown worth 7 points automatically. 1256 out of 1261 attempts were good last year, or maybe the year before. Why waste the time and the potential for injuries?

Many of these coaches, including Billacheat, argue that you can still have an attempt to get the ball into the end zone. If you succeed, one extra point. If you fail, you lose a point, essentially making it the same scoring as now, but without the stupid automatic kick attempt. I favor this option, as I like the drama it can lead to.

My Seahawks rarely let the other team close enough for it to matter, though.

Last edited:

Superlite27

I enjoy the optional two point conversion.

Each year, teams have only a few regular season games on a weekly basis.

Although 1256 out of 1261 attempts were made, for the few misses, the lost point could have disasterous consequences. (This statistic does seem rather large, though. You'd think there'd be more misses and blocks. Instead of getting rid of the extra point, maybe the NFL should increase the distance to 30 yards?)

As for the two point conversion, it adds a difficult choice to the game. Increased risk of failure vs. additional points.

I've seen bungled decisions on both sides: Teams that unnecessarily go for two and fail when a touchdown and fieldgoal would tie (and end up losing by a single point) and, my favorite, such as the Dallas Cowboys in a playoff game several years ago:

The Cowboys were down 21 - 10 and had just scored a TD with two minutes left in the game. When they elected to forgo the two point conversion and play it safe with the extra point, I wondered aloud at my T.V. screen, "Do you morons realize that if, by some miracle, you do happen to recover the ball in the next two minutes, a field goal will only get you to 20?".

Sure as $#!T, they recovered a fumble and got to their own 25 with 3 seconds left.

I loved it. A field goal could have tied it......

....if they would have successfully gotten the two point conversion two minutes earlier.

I mean, strategically, if they would have failed the two point conversion, they'd still be in the same boat: Needing a touchdown to win. Therefore: Extra point or failed two point conversion = need a touchdown. Successful two point conversion = field goal ties.

What kind of idiot doesn't try for the only option that improves your odds?

I honestly think the Chicago Cubs and the Dallas Cowboys could exchange starting lineups and there'd be absolutely no noticeable deterioration to either team's performance.

So, IMHO, keep the two point conversion. It adds additional opportunities for bungled decision making.

There's nothing more entertaining than watching the Dallas Cowboys F things up.

(Except, maybe, watching the Cubs do it. The only difference is, I kinda' feel sorry for the Cubs.)

wimwag

Careful with that blasphemy. It's not the team, it's Jason Garrett. And Orlando Scandrick. He's cost us 7 games, by my count.

The two point conversion is gold. It's the wild card that can change the dynamic of the game. I remember watching Leon Lett recover the onside kick and then Aikman throws a TD and Emmitt took it in for 2 and the Eagles sucked the big one. If your going to get rid of the 2pt conversion, might as well get rid of the safety, free kick option and punting too. It's bad enough that big hits are penalized. Anyone who played D knows that you live for the big hit. Let football be football! You know football is dangerous and that's part of the reason we break our bodies. I just messed my neck up playing some street football this week. I cant turn my head to the left. No regrets! I bounced my brother off a truck and forced the fumble. Pussification of this nation includes gutting our most popular sport. By liberal decree, all men must sprout manginas.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Careful with that blasphemy. It's not the team, it's Jason Garrett. And Orlando Scandrick. He's cost us 7 games, by my count.

The two point conversion is gold. It's the wild card that can change the dynamic of the game. I remember watching Leon Lett recover the onside kick and then Aikman throws a TD and Emmitt took it in for 2 and the Eagles sucked the big one. If your going to get rid of the 2pt conversion, might as well get rid of the safety, free kick option and punting too. It's bad enough that big hits are penalized. Anyone who played D knows that you live for the big hit. Let football be football! You know football is dangerous and that's part of the reason we break our bodies. I just messed my neck up playing some street football this week. I cant turn my head to the left. No regrets! I bounced my brother off a truck and forced the fumble. Pussification of this nation includes gutting our most popular sport. By liberal decree, all men must sprout manginas.

I think that the 2pt conversion is more pussification ... can't get it in the endzone? Then you deserve to lose IMO.

Its good you have no regrets about pounding your brother into a truck !

wimwag

I think that the 2pt conversion is more pussification ... can't get it in the endzone? Then you deserve to lose IMO.

Its good you have no regrets about pounding your brother into a truck !

I bet he does lol

Don't feel like wussing out and kicking the ball? Ram it down their throats!

OC for ME

Never let it be said that something that has been around for over 100 years and works as intended should remain unchanged.
The 2003 game between the New Orleans Saints and Jacksonville Jaguars where, after scoring a touchdown as time expired as a result of the multiple-lateral River City Relay, Saints kicker John Carney missed the extra point, giving the Jaguars a 20-19 victory.

On November 11, 1979 the New York Jets lost to the Buffalo Bills 14-12 - the difference coming from two missed extra points by place kicker Toni Linhart. Linhart never played another game in the NFL.

Another 2003 game, this one between the Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was sent to overtime after what would have been a game-winning extra point was blocked; the Panthers won the game in overtime 12-9.

A 2005 game between the Green Bay Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers is another notable exception, as the Buccaneers won 17-16, the difference being Ryan Longwell missing an extra point after a Packers touchdown.
It certainly is not broke therefore it is ripe for messin with.

wimwag

If the game were extended by 2 quarters, I do believe Romo would have repeated that 3 drive 3 interception performance.

wimwag

I wouldn't mind being friends...just as long as you go along to get along.

Saw a photo posted on Facebook, my wife's account, of T. Romo lying on the ground. The caption:

Get up Romo, it is only the coin toss."

I believe Aaron Rodgers invented that move. You know, because you only get 3 timeouts and he can't count that high.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I inhaled a skittle when Witten didn't fumble the ball.

He's on my bench this week in my fantasy team ... he did fumble, just after he was down.Aside

Aside from the turnovers that decided the game ... the cowboys did OK, although romo looked like a rookie at times

wimwag

He's on my bench this week in my fantasy team ... he did fumble, just after he was down.Aside

Aside from the turnovers that decided the game ... the cowboys did OK, although romo looked like a rookie at times

The defense did pretty food considering Jerry gave away all our talent and a future hall of famer. I think Romo isn't 100% healed. He had trouble scrambling to the left and that's the way he usually goes.