Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have never been so frusterated (concealed carry)

I have never been so frusterated (concealed carry)

I now live close to the Denver area, and open carry is not permissive. A while back I applied for and received a CHP. this is so I would not have to worry about the clothing accidentally covering my weapon. And I could choose for me if an environment would be determining my choice. For the most part, I advocate openly carrying.

Now, Denver has funny laws. The comical part for me... I have no idea how to conceal a large weapon in summer wear. Everything looks so awkward, and so obvious.

Frustrated at the legislature (or whatever Denver's lawmaking body is called). What were they thinking... is this what the people really wanted?

Not in my experience. It was the city government that put up the fight, not the people.

The only thing I can suggest is to use either a larger cover shirt as I do, or us a subcompact gun for summer wear.

I carry a Walther PPQ, and can conceal it effectively with a larger shirt. I've worn it concealed with other people not for feet from me in a classroom without being discovered.

Centurion
    I am not aware of any prohibition on "printing" in Denver County, Colorado--- Only that OPEN CARRY is not allowed per what I see as a bad State Supreme Court ruling.

So while in Denver, Conceal since you have a permit but don't worry about printing. So what if the LEO sees what he may suspect is a firearm due to the bulge at your carry location. You are in compliance with the law if it is covered!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 09-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JonStore View Post
    I now live close to the Denver area, and open carry is not permissive. A while back I applied for and received a CHP. this is so I would not have to worry about the clothing accidentally covering my weapon. And I could choose for me if an environment would be determining my choice. For the most part, I advocate openly carrying.

Now, Denver has funny laws. The comical part for me... I have no idea how to conceal a large weapon in summer wear. Everything looks so awkward, and so obvious.

Frustrated at the legislature (or whatever Denver's lawmaking body is called). What were they thinking... is this what the people really wanted?
    Need a inner waist band holster and carry appendix. Concealing full size will be no problem.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

.... The comical part for me... I have no idea how to conceal a large weapon in summer wear. Everything looks so awkward, and so obvious.

I'm not allowed to post/link to this, so please do not read it. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...9897.html&

Cotton Hawaiian shirts can be your friend for CC - large prints break up outlines, loose fit and the ability to not button below the level of your belt without looking like some sort of fashion pervert.

Another friend can be Madras plaid worn loose (unbuttoned, untucked).

If you find the shirts are blowing open and exposing your handgun (just so we are clear about what's being exposed) pin/sew some washers to the corners to add some weight there. For the truely tacticool, run long zip-ties inside the front of the shirt where the buttons and button holes are.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Fanny pack ?

I carry full size pistol and routinely print while carrying in Denver. It's covered. No you may not see what's under my shirt. I don't care what you think it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I carry full size pistol and routinely print while carrying in Denver. It's covered. No you may not see what's under my shirt. I don't care what you think it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Though I avoid Denver as much as possible, I do have to visit in occasion. I print, but it's only noticeable from certain angles and if the light is good. But my response, if it's brought up, is the same as Beau's. I open carry wherever else I can, so those who know me don't need to ask.

what i do...

There is a fine line between concealed and having your pistol so concealed that you might as well not have it at all.
    Anyhow .. I carry a glock 17 or xds 3.3 I have many holsters to choose from.
    Some leather on the outside of belt work well since the ride high but on my 32" waist everything shows. So unless I wanna go super stealth ....I'll just carry my xds under a normal t-shirt with the paddle holster it came with.
    So shop around for a holster stay away from the cheap stuff ...maybe eBay? Some good stuff there, a good leather one will set you back bout 50$ but it's worth it or maybe a normal paddle holster ..Fobus makes good once and so does Uncle Mike's.

IWB holster mean you have to but two sizes of trousers. the CC Industrial Complex minions must have more disposable income than regular folks do. Hawaii shirts...looks silly in Denver unless your are a liberal hipster...was that redundant?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I can't imagine how the OP copes. I mean really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue-inflatable-ads-man.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	12009

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    A lot of us just avoid Denver whenever possible. Works for me most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue-inflatable-ads-man.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	12009
    Instead if imagining, ask. I cope amazingly well. From time to time I vent.

The day of the posting, I coped with a hoodie. It was a cool day and the hoodie was light.

Be well,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszu View Post
    There is a fine line between concealed and having your pistol so concealed that you might as well not have it at all.
    Anyhow .. I carry a glock 17 or xds 3.3 I have many holsters to choose from.
    Some leather on the outside of belt work well since the ride high but on my 32" waist everything shows. So unless I wanna go super stealth ....I'll just carry my xds under a normal t-shirt with the paddle holster it came with.
    So shop around for a holster stay away from the cheap stuff ...maybe eBay? Some good stuff there, a good leather one will set you back bout 50$ but it's worth it or maybe a normal paddle holster ..Fobus makes good once and so does Uncle Mike's.
    My holster came with a paddle, but I am using the belt loop attachment. I'll switch things around and see what looks good. I am thinking that I might have to make another gun purchase.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'm not allowed to post/link to this, so please do not read it. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...9897.html&

Cotton Hawaiian shirts can be your friend for CC - large prints break up outlines, loose fit and the ability to not button below the level of your belt without looking like some sort of fashion pervert.

Another friend can be Madras plaid worn loose (unbuttoned, untucked).

If you find the shirts are blowing open and exposing your handgun (just so we are clear about what's being exposed) pin/sew some washers to the corners to add some weight there. For the truely tacticool, run long zip-ties inside the front of the shirt where the buttons and button holes are.

stay safe.
    Thank you for that. It was a good laugh when I got to option #3. This would not do for me, I have a 32 inch waist.

Best,
    Jon

Hawaiian shirts scream "I got me a gat under my shirt." So, how many Hawaiian shirts do you see being worn in your neck of the woods.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Hawaiian shirts scream "I got me a gat under my shirt." So, how many Hawaiian shirts do you see being worn in your neck of the woods.

Heard the same for fanny packs and lots of other wear seems now day every things screams "I got a gat under my shirt"

One can think he has a gun there proving it is another matter.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 09-10-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    "Hawaiian"? Not many. But shirts of the same style and cut? MANY THOUSANDS. I see it pretty much several times an hour between my job and school (which is pretty much where I spend 90+% of my time outside of the home). And based on the OP's comments, I'm only about five to ten miles away from him.
    Last edited by jackrockblc; 09-10-2014 at 10:23 AM.

A gun in a paddle holster with a shirt over it may be "concealed" according to the letter of the law but that's it. To anyone with even a little situational awareness can tell its a gun.

IWB. Appendix or over the hip (which I hate but seems popular).

You can wear a T-shirt and be concealed (especially appendix). No need to wear any crazy special clothes. You literally just wear normal clothes.

Drawbacks are you can't tuck shirt in, you can't be crazy obese (a little overweight is fine), and sitting for long periods of time require adjustment.

Positives- its concealed (if that's the whole goal anyways) and I don't mean "oh it's half way kind of concealed". You can wear your normal clothes no need for a "shoot me vest" (idpa guys know what I mean).

And no its not any slower then having a shirt hang over and it be on your hip.

Remember if your trying to conceal with an open carry holster it's going to work like open carrying with an IWB. Half a** basically...

Use the appropriate holster, method, and maybe gun (don't need a small gun but its easier) and your results will improve dramatically.

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Hawaiian shirt? Not often.

I do see a T-shirt (tucked in) under a button down shirt (usually flannel or some other heavier fabric) untucked--the poor man's sportscoat--and that seems to equal "concealed firearm" a lot.

I've seen people at the range printing SO badly that it's comedic. (Imagine a literal red brick under their shirt--that badly!) At that point, guy, you might as fricking well be open. Except of course that 90% of people STILL won't notice a bulge that sticks out as much as a brick would.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    "Hawaiian"? Not many. But shirts of the same style and cut? MANY THOUSANDS. I see it pretty much several times an hour between my job and school (which is pretty much where I spend 90+% of my time outside of the home). And based on the OP's comments, I'm only about five to ten miles away from him.
    I see untucked "dress shirts" all the time, some kind of fashion trend, I don't get it, but I'm older and less wiser where fashion is concerned, just ask my dear wife.

I fall into the OC-ish = CC. Any cop who thinks that concealed means concealed, as in won't/can't "see" needs to point that out to me in the law, personal opinions don't count. Concealed is not defined in RSMo 571.010.

Campaign Veteran
    Before moving here to COS, I was living on the beach in Galveston, TX...had plenty of Hawaiian (AKA: "Aloha") shirts, even some of the very same ones (design/prints) Magnum, PI wore (such as those seen here (and other "Selleck" designs on other sites): http://www.mauishirts.com/magnum-pi.html)! Would wear them when I needed to be a bit more formal than mere "Island Casual" as per everyday wear down there as commonly seen in the Gulf Coast Living scene (for example, going to the ($$$) Sunday Brunch @ the Hotel Galvez). In Galveston, Aloha shirts were about as "dressed-up" as you could get, and no one thought such shirts were AT ALL out-of-place. After all, Galveston IS a beach -- the whole island is really (a barrier island/sand bar). But I agree, here in Rocky Mountain High Country they'd be out-of-place...unless I were the former "Old Hippie" Hawaii Governor Abercrombie (recently lost the Democratic Primary -- good riddance) moving here, and the Aloha Shirts (as he'd always wear) were all he had in his suitcase.

But no one above has mentioned the PREMIERE "Old Man Shirt" one can wear to cover you guys who CC: The famous Guayabera shirt...it covers everything, including the also famous "Milwaukee Tumor" so many Old Guys guys have.

Well, almost...

Problem for me is, I never cared for "Old Man Shirts" such as the Guayabera (partly because my Father wore one, and before his time really) so I'd NEVER wear a Guayabera for ANY reason...but for some of you here who are looking for a shirt that is NOT supposed to be worn tucked-in, a Guayabera may be just the ticket -- especially if you ARE an Old Guy (with or without a Milwaukee Tumor) and so no one would notice anything "incongruently amiss" when you wear it. And if your "fashion sense" (IF any) you used to have went out the window YEARS ago as you became an Old Guy -- so you really don't CARE anymore how you look -- a Guayabera may be your top choice. ;-)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to working on my 2 sword canes...no, don't NEED them now, just thinking ahead a few (10-15) years -- when I'm definitely & for sure a 100% USDA Certified Old Guy! ;-)

P.S. Yes, I still have (and intend to KEEP) my "Magnum, PI" shirts: Not only are they Collector's Items, they also will come in handy if/when I move to Hawaii. Then all I'll need is a red Ferrari 308 GTS to complete the picture.

Hmmmm...better start looking for one now. ;-)

Aloha...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	960x540.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	12023  
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 09-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

"Concealed means CONCEALED"
    Look at these low key, covert operators, you'd never guess in a million years that they were strapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    "Concealed means CONCEALED"
    Look at these low key, covert operators, you'd never guess in a million years that they were strapped.
    Hence the label "shoot me vest"

Apparently IDPA people invariably wear those.

When will someone create a realistic shooting competition? IPSC is full of guns no one would ever actually carry, and IDPA dang near has a dress code that includes shoot me vests. WTF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast