• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have never been so frusterated (concealed carry)

OC for ME

"Hawaiian"? Not many. But shirts of the same style and cut? MANY THOUSANDS. I see it pretty much several times an hour between my job and school (which is pretty much where I spend 90+% of my time outside of the home). And based on the OP's comments, I'm only about five to ten miles away from him.
I see untucked "dress shirts" all the time, some kind of fashion trend, I don't get it, but I'm older and less wiser where fashion is concerned, just ask my dear wife.

I fall into the OC-ish = CC. Any cop who thinks that concealed means concealed, as in won't/can't "see" needs to point that out to me in the law, personal opinions don't count. Concealed is not defined in RSMo 571.010.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Before moving here to COS, I was living on the beach in Galveston, TX...had plenty of Hawaiian (AKA: "Aloha") shirts, even some of the very same ones (design/prints) Magnum, PI wore (such as those seen here (and other "Selleck" designs on other sites): http://www.mauishirts.com/magnum-pi.html)! Would wear them when I needed to be a bit more formal than mere "Island Casual" as per everyday wear down there as commonly seen in the Gulf Coast Living scene (for example, going to the ($$$) Sunday Brunch @ the Hotel Galvez). In Galveston, Aloha shirts were about as "dressed-up" as you could get, and no one thought such shirts were AT ALL out-of-place. After all, Galveston IS a beach -- the whole island is really (a barrier island/sand bar). But I agree, here in Rocky Mountain High Country they'd be out-of-place...unless I were the former "Old Hippie" Hawaii Governor Abercrombie (recently lost the Democratic Primary -- good riddance) moving here, and the Aloha Shirts (as he'd always wear) were all he had in his suitcase.

But no one above has mentioned the PREMIERE "Old Man Shirt" one can wear to cover you guys who CC: The famous Guayabera shirt...it covers everything, including the also famous "Milwaukee Tumor" so many Old Guys guys have.

Well, almost...

Problem for me is, I never cared for "Old Man Shirts" such as the Guayabera (partly because my Father wore one, and before his time really) so I'd NEVER wear a Guayabera for ANY reason...but for some of you here who are looking for a shirt that is NOT supposed to be worn tucked-in, a Guayabera may be just the ticket -- especially if you ARE an Old Guy (with or without a Milwaukee Tumor) and so no one would notice anything "incongruently amiss" when you wear it. And if your "fashion sense" (IF any) you used to have went out the window YEARS ago as you became an Old Guy -- so you really don't CARE anymore how you look -- a Guayabera may be your top choice. ;-)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to working on my 2 sword canes...no, don't NEED them now, just thinking ahead a few (10-15) years -- when I'm definitely & for sure a 100% USDA Certified Old Guy! ;-)

P.S. Yes, I still have (and intend to KEEP) my "Magnum, PI" shirts: Not only are they Collector's Items, they also will come in handy if/when I move to Hawaii. Then all I'll need is a red Ferrari 308 GTS to complete the picture.

Hmmmm...better start looking for one now. ;-)

Aloha...

Attachments

• 960x540.jpg
    960x540.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

"Concealed means CONCEALED"
Look at these low key, covert operators, you'd never guess in a million years that they were strapped.
orig.jpg

SteveInCO

Apparently IDPA people invariably wear those.

When will someone create a realistic shooting competition? IPSC is full of guns no one would ever actually carry, and IDPA dang near has a dress code that includes shoot me vests. WTF?

Beau

When will someone create a realistic shooting competition? IPSC is full of guns no one would ever actually carry, and IDPA dang near has a dress code that includes shoot me vests. WTF?

Really? Other than open class pistols (which I'm sure get carried by some) what guns would not be carried?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SteveInCO

Really? Other than open class pistols (which I'm sure get carried by some) what guns would not be carried?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Admittedly I am going off the guns that IPSC people show me, rather than actually having gone to an event, but they are invariably huge flared magwell long slide pistols with red dot optics on them and a two ounce trigger pull, costing multiple thousands of dollars, carried in a holster that holds the gun an inch or two away from the body. Utterly unrealistic for daily carry, either open or concealed. Thus it turns the P in IPSC (which stands for "Practical") into a lie as the gun is not practical for every day carry. Sure it'd be great if the BG came after you just as you finished reassembling the gun and you could tight-group quadruple-tap headshot him at 100 yards, but...how likely is that?

I'd love to see an event where you have to sign an affidavit declaring "this is how and what I actually carry, and this is my normal clothing." Get rid of the "shoot me" vests and the buck rogers pistols you don't see people wear in real life. You'd be allowed to change out your defensive ammo for FMJ, but that's it. Maybe three divisions: Open Carry, Carry under an open overcoat or jacket that can be flicked aside, and carry where it's under a shirt or inside a zippered/buttoned jacket and you have to dig the gun out of concealment.

Fallschirjmäger

Y'ain't kidding about it being an unofficial 'uniform'; just google IPDA Vest.
Brandon-Wright-keeps-score-at-ITIs-IDPA-2.0-training-.jpg

That's probably worse than merely openly carrying. At least with open carry it doesn't scream "I Gotta GUN" from all 360-degrees. Anytime you see someone walking around with this getup you can safely assume they're loudly announcing that they're trying to 'hide' something.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I'd love to see an event where you have to sign an affidavit declaring "this is how and what I actually carry, and this is my normal clothing." Get rid of the "shoot me" vests and the buck rogers pistols you don't see people wear in real life. You'd be allowed to change out your defensive ammo for FMJ, but that's it. Maybe three divisions: Open Carry, Carry under an open overcoat or jacket that can be flicked aside, and carry where it's under a shirt or inside a zippered/buttoned jacket and you have to dig the gun out of concealment.

There are quite a few local, regional, and even national "run what you brung" events based on EDC. IDPA/IPSC rules are "revised" as the contestants see the need to do so. I've seen older guys with a J-frame in their pants pocket shoot circles around somebody fully rigged out for IDPA/IPSC. Also, many ranges seem to be adding "practical shooting" without all the fancy rigs, rules, and scoring of the gamesters. In the few I've observed OCers are quicker to clear the holster but may be slower to get the first shot off due to assessing the level of threat being presented.

(A guy with a tire iron at 25 yards does not need shooting, although many CCers will shoot as soon as the gun clears the holster. The "perfect score" is attained by giving voice commands and not drawing until the level of threat increases by the target advancing.)

stay safe.

SteveInCO

Y'ain't kidding about it being an unofficial 'uniform'; just google IPDA Vest.

That's probably worse than merely openly carrying. At least with open carry it doesn't scream "I Gotta GUN" from all 360-degrees. Anytime you see someone walking around with this getup you can safely assume they're loudly announcing that they're trying to 'hide' something.

IDPA also doesn't have an open carry mode. My suggestion improves on that by including separate classes for open and different degrees of concealment, to control for differing speeds of access.

By the way, I carry (and would therefore shoot at this event, if one were ever organized) absolutely bone-stock CZs, The only mod I've made is to swap out those atrocious metal magazine floor plates with the rubber ones that CZ sells aftermarket. The metal ones bend if you look at em crosseyed (I had to actually cut one in half to get it off when I swapped it for the rubber one). I may have to replace the rear sight on one of them because the dots are nearly invisible at the range in spite of careful cleaning.

SteveInCO

I've seen older guys with a J-frame in their pants pocket shoot circles around somebody fully rigged out for IDPA/IPSC.

Good on them!

Also, many ranges seem to be adding "practical shooting" without all the fancy rigs, rules, and scoring of the gamesters. In the few I've observed OCers are quicker to clear the holster but may be slower to get the first shot off due to assessing the level of threat being presented.

My indoor range has "scenario shoots" twice a week, where they adapt various IPSC and IDPA layouts to the square range. Pretty good practice, though I doubt it rises to the level of what you are talking about.