• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I have never been so frusterated (concealed carry)

JonStore

I now live close to the Denver area, and open carry is not permissive. A while back I applied for and received a CHP. this is so I would not have to worry about the clothing accidentally covering my weapon. And I could choose for me if an environment would be determining my choice. For the most part, I advocate openly carrying.

Now, Denver has funny laws. The comical part for me... I have no idea how to conceal a large weapon in summer wear. Everything looks so awkward, and so obvious.

Frustrated at the legislature (or whatever Denver's lawmaking body is called). What were they thinking... is this what the people really wanted?

jackrockblc

Not in my experience. It was the city government that put up the fight, not the people.

The only thing I can suggest is to use either a larger cover shirt as I do, or us a subcompact gun for summer wear.

I carry a Walther PPQ, and can conceal it effectively with a larger shirt. I've worn it concealed with other people not for feet from me in a classroom without being discovered.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am not aware of any prohibition on "printing" in Denver County, Colorado--- Only that OPEN CARRY is not allowed per what I see as a bad State Supreme Court ruling.

So while in Denver, Conceal since you have a permit but don't worry about printing. So what if the LEO sees what he may suspect is a firearm due to the bulge at your carry location. You are in compliance with the law if it is covered!

Last edited:

Primus

I now live close to the Denver area, and open carry is not permissive. A while back I applied for and received a CHP. this is so I would not have to worry about the clothing accidentally covering my weapon. And I could choose for me if an environment would be determining my choice. For the most part, I advocate openly carrying.

Now, Denver has funny laws. The comical part for me... I have no idea how to conceal a large weapon in summer wear. Everything looks so awkward, and so obvious.

Frustrated at the legislature (or whatever Denver's lawmaking body is called). What were they thinking... is this what the people really wanted?

Need a inner waist band holster and carry appendix. Concealing full size will be no problem.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... The comical part for me... I have no idea how to conceal a large weapon in summer wear. Everything looks so awkward, and so obvious.

I'm not allowed to post/link to this, so please do not read it. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-19897.html&

Cotton Hawaiian shirts can be your friend for CC - large prints break up outlines, loose fit and the ability to not button below the level of your belt without looking like some sort of fashion pervert.

Another friend can be Madras plaid worn loose (unbuttoned, untucked).

If you find the shirts are blowing open and exposing your handgun (just so we are clear about what's being exposed) pin/sew some washers to the corners to add some weight there. For the truely tacticool, run long zip-ties inside the front of the shirt where the buttons and button holes are.

stay safe.

Beau

I carry full size pistol and routinely print while carrying in Denver. It's covered. No you may not see what's under my shirt. I don't care what you think it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jackrockblc

I carry full size pistol and routinely print while carrying in Denver. It's covered. No you may not see what's under my shirt. I don't care what you think it is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Agreed. Though I avoid Denver as much as possible, I do have to visit in occasion. I print, but it's only noticeable from certain angles and if the light is good. But my response, if it's brought up, is the same as Beau's. I open carry wherever else I can, so those who know me don't need to ask.

lukaszu

what i do...

There is a fine line between concealed and having your pistol so concealed that you might as well not have it at all.
Anyhow .. I carry a glock 17 or xds 3.3 I have many holsters to choose from.
Some leather on the outside of belt work well since the ride high but on my 32" waist everything shows. So unless I wanna go super stealth ....I'll just carry my xds under a normal t-shirt with the paddle holster it came with.
So shop around for a holster stay away from the cheap stuff ...maybe eBay? Some good stuff there, a good leather one will set you back bout 50$ but it's worth it or maybe a normal paddle holster ..Fobus makes good once and so does Uncle Mike's.

OC for ME

IWB holster mean you have to but two sizes of trousers. the CC Industrial Complex minions must have more disposable income than regular folks do. Hawaii shirts...looks silly in Denver unless your are a liberal hipster...was that redundant?

JonStore

There is a fine line between concealed and having your pistol so concealed that you might as well not have it at all.
Anyhow .. I carry a glock 17 or xds 3.3 I have many holsters to choose from.
Some leather on the outside of belt work well since the ride high but on my 32" waist everything shows. So unless I wanna go super stealth ....I'll just carry my xds under a normal t-shirt with the paddle holster it came with.
So shop around for a holster stay away from the cheap stuff ...maybe eBay? Some good stuff there, a good leather one will set you back bout 50$ but it's worth it or maybe a normal paddle holster ..Fobus makes good once and so does Uncle Mike's.

My holster came with a paddle, but I am using the belt loop attachment. I'll switch things around and see what looks good. I am thinking that I might have to make another gun purchase.

Jon

JonStore

I'm not allowed to post/link to this, so please do not read it. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-19897.html&

Cotton Hawaiian shirts can be your friend for CC - large prints break up outlines, loose fit and the ability to not button below the level of your belt without looking like some sort of fashion pervert.

Another friend can be Madras plaid worn loose (unbuttoned, untucked).

If you find the shirts are blowing open and exposing your handgun (just so we are clear about what's being exposed) pin/sew some washers to the corners to add some weight there. For the truely tacticool, run long zip-ties inside the front of the shirt where the buttons and button holes are.

stay safe.

Thank you for that. It was a good laugh when I got to option #3. This would not do for me, I have a 32 inch waist.

Best,
Jon

Firearms Iinstuctor

Hawaiian shirts scream "I got me a gat under my shirt." So, how many Hawaiian shirts do you see being worn in your neck of the woods.

Heard the same for fanny packs and lots of other wear seems now day every things screams "I got a gat under my shirt"

One can think he has a gun there proving it is another matter.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

Hawaiian shirts scream "I got me a gat under my shirt." So, how many Hawaiian shirts do you see being worn in your neck of the woods.

"Hawaiian"? Not many. But shirts of the same style and cut? MANY THOUSANDS. I see it pretty much several times an hour between my job and school (which is pretty much where I spend 90+% of my time outside of the home). And based on the OP's comments, I'm only about five to ten miles away from him.

Last edited:

Primus

A gun in a paddle holster with a shirt over it may be "concealed" according to the letter of the law but that's it. To anyone with even a little situational awareness can tell its a gun.

IWB. Appendix or over the hip (which I hate but seems popular).

You can wear a T-shirt and be concealed (especially appendix). No need to wear any crazy special clothes. You literally just wear normal clothes.

Drawbacks are you can't tuck shirt in, you can't be crazy obese (a little overweight is fine), and sitting for long periods of time require adjustment.

Positives- its concealed (if that's the whole goal anyways) and I don't mean "oh it's half way kind of concealed". You can wear your normal clothes no need for a "shoot me vest" (idpa guys know what I mean).

And no its not any slower then having a shirt hang over and it be on your hip.

Remember if your trying to conceal with an open carry holster it's going to work like open carrying with an IWB. Half a** basically...

Use the appropriate holster, method, and maybe gun (don't need a small gun but its easier) and your results will improve dramatically.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

SteveInCO

Hawaiian shirt? Not often.

I do see a T-shirt (tucked in) under a button down shirt (usually flannel or some other heavier fabric) untucked--the poor man's sportscoat--and that seems to equal "concealed firearm" a lot.

I've seen people at the range printing SO badly that it's comedic. (Imagine a literal red brick under their shirt--that badly!) At that point, guy, you might as fricking well be open. Except of course that 90% of people STILL won't notice a bulge that sticks out as much as a brick would.