• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry "dress code"

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"Dress codes" are for folks that are uncomfortable with confrontation .

Truth!

Yeah, but I don't care if you don't like how I look.

If you have seen me in person, you already know that I have no "fashion sense" whatsoever. If I dress"up", I do that for my Sweet Baboo and no other. I am secure within myself and your opine of my dress is irrelevant to me. I dress for utilility, for my personnal needs. If I upset you, go take a lie down and get over it.

Unwad your panties. People come in all sizes, shapes, colors and dress. All should add at least one firearm to their dress code.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
LOL But your change your cover depending on the occasion and the desired impression?

And I disagree that a book should not be judged by its cover. I've yet to read a book that I judge significant with a garish or trite cover - and I read voluminously. I'll be glad to link my Goodreads account under separate cover. Much of my reading at the moment comes from arXiv.org, not linked to Goodreads, and has only a title page - no cover to judge.
No contradiction whatsoever. When I'm out and about engaged in my private business, how I dress is my business. No shirt no shoes no service is a health issue. Holes in the knees of my work jeans and oil stains on the shirt is of no concern of others. Does a ditch digger wear a three piece suit while digging a ditch? I don't think so.

However, when a group is out selling an idea (right to open carry) the packaging sells the product.

And as to your statement: "And I disagree that a book should not be judged by its cover." Are you saying that a book should be judged by its cover???? At least that is what it sounds like.

Just because we judge books by their covers, does not mean we should.

Last edited:

The Truth

In the Summer time I wear essentially the same thing every day with color variations - above the knee flat front shorts (I've got 6 different pairs, all the same style, different colors, throw in a pair of jungle camo cargo shorts when I'm feeling saucy), and a simple American Apparel T-shirt (I've probably got 10 or 12 of the same style, different colors, throw in a couple V-necks when I'm feeling saucy), sometimes with a graphic. My Summer "dress" attire would consist of those same flat-front above the knee shorts with a long sleeve collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up, likely with no undershirt, top 3 buttons unbuttoned. I find it more comfortable and practical to wear athletic shoes at all times while carrying, unless it's for a quick trip to the mart for cigs or beers.

Winter/Fall attire for me is equally as simple. American Apparel T-shirt with fitted slim straight leg pants. Winter is really where I can "dress up" by simply wearing a nice pair of boots with my normal attire. Frye would be my boot of choice :D

All is worn with a black leather friction only holster - on a brown belt, haha.

OC for ME

Winter/Fall attire for me is equally as simple. American Apparel T-shirt with fitted slim straight leg pants. Winter is really where I can "dress up" by simply wearing a nice pair of boots with my normal attire. Frye would be my boot of choice :D

Is the above, in bold, code for "skinny jeans?" ;)

The Truth

Is the above, in bold, code for "skinny jeans?" ;)

Haha! Negative! I am a bit lanky at 6'2" 175 (31x34 pants size) and I like my pants to fit, not sag off of me. The slim fit straight legs are the only ones that actually fit me!

I save my girls' jeans for when I'm hookin' on the weekends ;)

Kopis

i have mixed feelings. Ive seen people slumming it while OCing but yeah why are their rights different than mine just because im required to wear a suit everyday? I get annoyed when i hear "retired vet arrested for OC" why are his rights different than anyone else... he gets cheap home loans and auto i know though.

I do try to dress a cut above when i OC. That's how i choose to represent OC but Im never "scared" if i see a guy slumming while OCing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I do try to dress a cut above when i OC. That's how i choose to represent OC but Im never "scared" if i see a guy slumming while OCing.

Yup. And for advice, I tend to relate what works for me.

But you're free to do whatever you want, and I really don't care.

wizzi01

I wear tshirts and jeans. I am not changing my clothes just to oc. Also, whatever anyone else is wearing I can gives two craps as long as I can't see your underwear.

Wolfgang1952

I live in jeans and t-shirts, period. The only time I am in a long-sleeved shirt is in the winter, and it better be cold. I just about wear my gear 24/7/365. I may have to work on the tractor in the field or in the shop, work on the bike and then I might have to go to town to get a part or something. I am not going to change my pants or shirt just because I might have some grease or oil on them. Most of the time I will rear the same pair of jeans for three or four days, depending on how dirty they are. The most questions I get or you a bounty hunter? I think they have been watching DOG tomuch.

Wolf

wimwag

I live in jeans and t-shirts, period. The only time I am in a long-sleeved shirt is in the winter, and it better be cold. I just about wear my gear 24/7/365. I may have to work on the tractor in the field or in the shop, work on the bike and then I might have to go to town to get a part or something. I am not going to change my pants or shirt just because I might have some grease or oil on them. Most of the time I will rear the same pair of jeans for three or four days, depending on how dirty they are. The most questions I get or you a bounty hunter? I think they have been watching DOG tomuch.

Wolf

Wow. Lol I've never been asked that. I have been asked if I'm working undercover.

Lyndsy Simon

90% of the time, I wear a T-shirt. Most of my shirts are either solid colors or have logos of various vendors in the software industry. I usually wear either jeans or jean shorts, and leather work boots or sandals. If I'm not at work, I have a Glock 31 on my hip.

The rest of the time I'm in jeans and a button-up shirt. This is mostly for church, but occasionally I'll get a wild hair to dress up a bit. I usually carry a 1911 or a Hi-Power on these days.

glock22oc

Most of the time, I dress down so that I am not confused as being a cop. I usually wear jean shorts and solid color Hanes pocket t-shirts, 2A t-shirts or redneck type t-shirts with Dukes of Hazzard or Hank Jr or etc on them. If going somewhere really nice, I will sometimes wear a nice polo shirt. My shirts are usually tucked in, but not always. Sometimes, I am wearing dirty oilfield clothes and got my jean legs stuffed down in the top of my work boots.

I dress in what is comfortable for me and where I am going, but I do not try to meet a OC dress code. I guess I would rather have someone say hey there goes some redneck carrying a gun, instead of them saying there goes a cop. I feel like if you dress like a cop, people might tend to see it that way, instead of an average citizen protecting himself. Whatever my dress is for the day, I am OC until bed time. I carry the full-size Glock 22 FDE in a Blackhawk Serpa, so it does kinda tend to stand out.

Stay safe and carry on!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I guess I would rather have someone say hey there goes some redneck carrying a gun, instead of them saying there goes a cop.

Hell yeah!

I was about to say that I'd just as soon CC as OC looking like a cop, but that's not true. I've been accustomed to the tactical advantages of OC. :cool:

sudden valley gunner

Truth!

If you have seen me in person, you already know that I have no "fashion sense" whatsoever. If I dress"up", I do that for my Sweet Baboo and no other. I am secure within myself and your opine of my dress is irrelevant to me. I dress for utilility, for my personnal needs. If I upset you, go take a lie down and get over it.

Unwad your panties. People come in all sizes, shapes, colors and dress. All should add at least one firearm to their dress code.

+!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Spurs and chaps would be overkill?

wimwag

I think whatever anyone chooses to wear is acceptable.

Someone said something about sending a message while OCing...how about the message that all have this right and as individuals we are different and come as you are?

cabledawg

I didn't read through all the posts, so I may be beating a dead horse (or bringing it back to life). At first, I used to think that to OC meant to look "clean". Being in the military, I am used to be clean shaven and having properly fitted clothes to ensure I present a "professional" image. But the more I OCed, the more I realized I couldn't always look my best. Middle of a house project and gotta run to the hardware store to replace a broken part. I'm in dirty jeans and an old tshirt. Out hiking with the family in my cargo shorts and sweat soaked tank top. Or I've been on leave for a week and have some stubble growing out. SO I cant always be a sharp dresser, but I can still OC. Now my only concern with attire is that my waistband has belt loops and a belt that can support my sidearm. Sure I still try to be cleaned up before I go out, but its more about not looking like a slob and less about looking the part to OC.

wimwag

I encourage beating the horse. Go to it brother! If you.didn't we would be off topic.

Wolfgang1952

I all ways had a beard while I was in the NAVY. For the next 10 ½ years I was a LEO and had to be clean shaved. When I left the Force in 86 I threw away my razor and told my barber he wasn’t making any more money off of me. Now I am just me. If you don’t like me the way I am _________ you………..
Like I stated before the most question is are you a Bounty Hunter? My answer is. Is there a bounty on you? If so, I’ll be happy to collect.

Wolf