• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a dilemma, need help

boomer92266

I have posted a while back about getting another gun, and now i have come to the point of getting one or supplies for the one I have. I have a 4 inch barrel service six, it shoots great and conceals much better than i thought it would, I have every single spare part that the gun will ever need if it ever needs it. now my budget won't let me get ammo every check, just about a box every month or so as well as supplies every few months. selling a lot of stuff we didn't need has put me in a spot of being able to get things I've been needing and wanting. I only have about +- 300rds ammo, and I know I need more and I would like a simply rugged holster. I have between $400-$500 to spend maybe a few dollars more but not much and adding more is out of the question. If ya'll had this dilemma what would you do? #1 get a smaller gun in 357 to carry or have as extra one, as I only want to buy one caliber to save money. #2 buy supplies and ammo for the one I have cause I shoot it good already. #3 get another gun the same size to have as backup, as its easy to shoot. if I get another gun, it won't leave much if any for extra's. so what would ya'll do? thanks for the help everyone.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Always have a supply of ammo - how you define "sufficient" is up to you.

A good holster is essential - as is a good gun belt. It may cost more up front, but if what you buy lasts 10 - 20 years (or more) then it will cost less than stuff you replace every few years. With proper maintenance you should be able to see your grandchild wearing your rig.

"One is none and two is one" works out, for me at least, as knowing there is an exact copy in the safe in case my carry gun is confiscated. I try to live so that the odds of that happening are very low, but one never knows. I put having the backup as my third priority, so slowly saved up for the purchase. Ammo is essential. Good gear makes life so much nicer, but you can get by - for a while at least - with the cheap stuff.

As always, YMMV.

stay safe.

Levi

You should consider getting reloading gear. If you are reloading for one cartridge (38spl for you) you can set up for about $350. That investment is a one time payment that should last you a life time.

Reusing your brass and loading light loads will allow you to do a lot more shooting. A 1lbs of Unique and a box of cast bullets will run you $60. Carefully managed, you can get your costs down to as little as $.07 a round.

Just a thought.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I only have about +- 300rds ammo, and I know I need more and I would like a simply rugged holster. I have between $400-$500 to spend maybe a few dollars more but not much and adding more is out of the question. If ya'll had this dilemma what would you do? #1 get a smaller gun in 357 to carry or have as extra one, as I only want to buy one caliber to save money. #2 buy supplies and ammo for the one I have cause I shoot it good already. #3 get another gun the same size to have as backup, as its easy to shoot. if I get another gun, it won't leave much if any for extra's. so what would ya'll do? thanks for the help everyone.

I know the feeling; when I first started carrying, I had only 100 rounds of WWB (dirty, but reliable brass-cased ammo) and the Galco holster I bought set me back another $70 (after S&H).

PERSONALLY, I would simply work with what you already have (option #2); range time is not the same as practicing for a realistic self defense scenario, but it should ingrain the required finger movements into your subconscious.
One thing I've found to be extremely helpful is to buy ammo in bulk instead of in handfuls whenever possible (saves money in the long run), and to hunt for specials.

If you decide to buy a BUG to carry on you or have as a spare, make sure you shop around to find a good price (and don't be afraid to haggle a bit if you can); as you said, if you get another gun, you already won't have much left over to buy extra's (which would include ammo and range/class time).

Add.
I now buy my plinking/range ammo "remanufactured" to save some money that is later reinvested into more ammo. I do, however, keep my preferred ammo on hand and finish each session by firing off 1-2 magazines of my usual carry ammo to remind myself of how it handles (see this thread, post #20 and on: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123046-Places-to-shoot-around-the-Valley).

Last edited:

hovercat

+1 for reloading gear. If you have more time than money, you can start with the Lee Loader, I used one for many years. A pound of Bullseye powder will last 3,500 rounds with a 2.0gr light target load, less if you like more oomph for practice. Primers about $30/1000. Lead bullets can be had cheaply or you can cast your own if you foresee enough shooting to invest in the molds and sizing tools. Still, for $160 or so, plus your time, you can set up to load 20 boxes of bullets and have powder for at least the next 20 boxes.
I also suggest that you google 'Ed's Red' as an inexpensive gun cleaning solvent. Works great as saves on supplies.

krisman45

Don't buy.....Reload.

Get the mat'ls for reloading and start collecting brass for your specific cal. Reloading is actually much less expensive than buying factory loads. Also I would suggest getting a S&W M&P compact or a compact GLOCK 9 MM or .40. Check out my post on holsters too ...... Stealth Gear is the way to go.:)