• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny OC encounters today

KBCraig

For all the times I've openly carried a pistol in NH (which is almost any time I'm not at work), I've never had anyone mention it or act uncomfortable. Today, I had three "encounters", as such, two of them perfectly positive.

I walked into a local restaurant today for a campaign event, and as soon as I was through the door one of the county commissioners was sitting right at eye level with my strong side.

"Is that loaded?"

"Of course it is. I don't carry rocks!"

He jumped up and shook my hand with a grin.

Next stop, Walmart. Uneventful as always, but three guys wearing fire department biker vests (but all way too fat to be firefighters, and one with a permanent serious limp) took it upon themselves to do the world's worst job of tailing me through the store. I always make it a point to make eye contact, smile, and nod at people, but it was getting awkward with these guys, since one or two of them would be around every corner I turned, then immediately find something else to look at.

They obviously weren't from around here, and I'm from a helluva long way from here!

Then I stopped at a cafe to pick up a sandwich for my lovely bride. A waitress asked, "So, are you like an undercover cop?" I laughed and said, "If I was, I wouldn't be very undercover!"

She went on to tell me about her brother who carries, but he usually just sticks his gun in his back pocket, so she jokes with him that he's going to blow his butt off by accident.

I didn't bother telling her that I frequently "pocket carry", with guns that are safe to do so.

Today's events were in the far north, in Jefferson, Littleton, and Whitefield.

OC Freedom

Thanks for posting, I like to read about others experiences while open carrying. Always glad to hear when they don't involve negative LE encounters too.

KBCraig

Nothing really new to update this thread. OC is still a non-issue in NH, and even moreso now that we have permitless carry.

I still see OC at least once a month even during heavy coat season. During the "warm months" (anytime it's above 50F), I see OC at least once a week, sometimes several times a week. I'm simply indifferent to concealment. My only fashion choice is that I don't want to look like I'm trying to hide a pistol and failing at it, because that leads to stories claiming "he was trying to hide a gun in his waistband!" Nope, mine is clearly OWB.

Also relevant to life in NH: it's snowing, March 31 into April 1. That's okay: our first year here, it snowed 6" on May 26. That set a good standard for us: as long as it doesn't snow after Labor Day, we're cool.

I'll give the URL and not embed the video, because the language is very NSFW, but Hillbilly Weatherman is both hilarious, and the most accurate forecaster in the state. His day job is designing kitchens and baths, and he does this as a hobby with his sons, in front of a green screen they hung up in their attic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej5zViu0xb0

Last edited: