Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why a gun is needed. Boy survives puma attack in Cupertino Picchetti Ranch.

Why a gun is needed. Boy survives puma attack in Cupertino Picchetti Ranch.

He was among a group of 10 — including his parents, two other parents and some children — who were hiking at the Picchetti Ranch Open Space Preserve

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ion-drags-him/

G00gle Real time
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...kVom3WNx9ach0M
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Shouted at it and it ran off? Hmm, they should have called 911 and waited for a cop to come and save the kid. Those animal rights thugs are gunna be gearing up to save that cat.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

In general guns are very effective against mountain lions. They attack and are on top of you before you can react.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NosePicker View Post
    In general guns are very effective against mountain lions. They attack and are on top of you before you can react.
    Don't you mean guns are very ineffective against mountain lions because of the speed in which they attack?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Don't you mean guns are very ineffective against mountain lions because of the speed in which they attack?
    If you were OC, it w/b like having a target on your body?
    If you were CC, would your delayed response cost you and extra 1/2 of a body part?
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

A mountain lion when it attacks does so with stealth and cunning - it is hunting and gives no warning.

A bear on the OTOH is most frequently not hunting you and uses a ferocious show of force to frighten off intruders. They may still attack, but there is that warning first more often.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    If you were OC, it w/b like having a target on your body?
    If you were CC, would your delayed response cost you and extra 1/2 of a body part?
    No.... If you were cc then it wouldn't target you for the gun. Also you'd have the element of surprise to sneak behind it and judo chop it in the throat. Or finger punch it in the eye.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    No.... If you were cc then it wouldn't target you for the gun. Also you'd have the element of surprise to sneak behind it and judo chop it in the throat. Or finger punch it in the eye.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Any good ninja could still accomplish that even when OCing

Banned
    I would bring some cardboard boxes ... rather catch them alive if you can, right... I did this with other cats with great success.

As exampled in pic.

You are correct. I should have spell checked my post. I meant ARENT effective.

There are numerous cases of mountain lions attacking hunters, in addition to other types of people.

OCing deters mountain lion attacks, those kitties ain't stupid.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Is that why they have been endangered before.

Humans with guns have killed many over the last couple hundreds of years.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

You are correct. I should have spell checked my post. I meant ARENT effective.

There are numerous cases of mountain lions attacking hunters, in addition to other types of people.
    Please give cits of these attacks.

Most mountain lion attacks are against unarmed people a lot of them children.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

If this is in the People's Democratic Republic of Kalifornia there is not Right to self defense, reasonable (gun) or otherwise (rape whistle).

That said, isn't pepper spray permitted by the ruling elite, at least?

Off topic:
    The video was entertaining, but should probably be watched without sound (horribly done).
    I don't know if davidmcbeth's cat-catching plan would work on wild felines.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I would bring some cardboard boxes ... rather catch them alive if you can, right... I did this with other cats with great success.

As exampled in pic.
    Can you give me a verified citation for this picture? I don't see SPCA seal on this potential animal cruelty...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
    That's a scene from the movie "bear" I think ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086945/

Awww thats not right, is it,.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Can you give me a verified citation for this picture? I don't see SPCA seal on this potential animal cruelty...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    I forgot how to delete !!!!!!!!! Now I'm in trouble.

Mountain lion linked to boy's attack slain

Banned
    Sounds like the plot from the movie JAWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sounds like the plot from the movie JAWS.
    Your crack set me off onto a fine reverie of friends and favorite movies.

The writer of Jaws-3D is a neighbor and reprobate that I try to look after (once passed out between garage and house mid-WINTER here!). So I re-read the history of the franchise and was reminded that Roy Scheider of Jaws also led in my all time favorite movie Sorcerer. It had been dismissed as a flop, overshadowed by the coincidental Star Wars flop, but my favorite movie history site has as many words about Sorcerer as about the space opera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorcerer_%28film%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMof5PuQF7w

Oh, and the Sorcerer soundtrack introduced me to Tangerine Dream of which I have a complete collection through 1988 Optical Race. My favorites are Exit and Tyger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJbgBtafsho
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.

...oops! Wrong kitty...alright saddle up fellas we gotta go and bag the real killer and we ain't gunna stop until we get the real killer.

As to the kitties in the box...vacuum sealed would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ...oops! Wrong kitty...alright saddle up fellas we gotta go and bag the real killer and we ain't gunna stop until we get the real killer.

As to the kitties in the box...vacuum sealed would be better.
    That's not nice at all. We shall not go there.

Banned
    That's not nice at all. We shall not go there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Q9E0rtAQs

u can see what animal shelters do with excess inventory .... not for PETA minded folks to watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast