• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNBC wants to know how you feel about Panera asking you not to bring your gun

Repeater

Affect OC more than CC

I listened to Jeff Katz on 1140 WRVA yesterday about this topic; many callers said they would continue to carry concealed.

Well, sure! But what about exposed carry (how does that sound)?

So, I'm including a link to Truth Revolt, which as the statement from the sensitive and thoughtful CEO:

Panera Bread Jumps On The "No Guns Allowed" Bandwagon

panera-bread-no-guns-twitter.jpg

Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth.

This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.

Basically, those who expose themselves make others around them feel UNcomfortable and UNwelcome.

So go away. But what if you won't? The CEO says:
We’re certainly not going to put our associates in the position of confronting someone carrying a gun. We won’t put our café management in the position of being law enforcement.

Well, that's helpful. And what is an authorized law enforcement officer? As opposed to unauthorized?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Law enforcement officers make any rational adult uncomfortable, so any place which permits LEOs to be armed to the exclusion of everyone else is an unwelcoming environment.

QED.

Bernymac

Worse, better, unsure...it matters not for as long as the money keeps rolling in. Starbucks, Target, Chipotle...those poor schmucks will have to find another way to make money...oh, wait...nevermind. :shocker::uhoh::shocker::eek::eek:

Arin Morris

Kyle Heying > ‎I Support Open Carry in Oklahoma
EVERYBODY LISTEN TO ME. That hub bub about Panera asking customers not to carry firearms on their premises is ONLY FOR CORPORATE LOCATIONS. If you are in a state that has franchise locations, i.e. our home state of Oklahoma, the states of Arizona and Missouri, and I think Kansas is another one in our franchise, then we welcome you wholeheartedly into our restaurant ARMED, let it be concealed or not, this comes straight from the division manager of the OKC area today. So hey come in, if its Norman or anywhere in OKC or Stillwater and beyond, be armed, I sure as hell would appreciate it because it adds to my job security.

Panera Bread is the latest U.S. company to ask customers not to pack heat.

"Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America" is behind the push. It says it had intense talks with Panera Bread Company for months.

Panera's CEO Ronald M. Shaich released the following statement,

"Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates."

However, Panera Bread Corporate has made this change in policy, which ask guests not to carry guns, and it affects only the Panera LLC/Corporate-owned locations. In Oklahoma, all Panera stores are franchised, and not required to follow the new policy.

All Oklahoma franchised stores follow the Oklahoma state laws pertaining concealed weapons and open carry. In other words, this new mandate does not affect Oklahoma at all.

A Panera spokeswoman said the company will not ask its employees to enforce the new guideline, nor will the policy be posted in the restaurants.

Other chains have adopted voluntary restrictions and have declined to post no-guns signs in their stores.

The "Moms Demand Action" group has gotten several stores to ban guns in their businesses, including Target, Chipotle, Starbucks, Jack in the Box, Chili's and even Oklahoma City-based Sonic.

The main reason is to make customers feel comfortable and to prevent employees from having to intervene if something happens.

source

I'm not going to lie. They have some bomb bagels, especially that cinnamon crunch one. Glad I don't have to give that up.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Law enforcement officers make any rational adult uncomfortable, so any place which permits LEOs to be armed to the exclusion of everyone else is an unwelcoming environment.

QED.

Law enforcement officers, per se, do not make me, a rational adult, uncomfortable. I know many law enforcement officers, have had some in my extended family and have worked professionally with many federal LEAs.

I tend not to categorize people based on who they are or what their legal and honorable profession may be. I have specific opinions about specific people based on my positive -- or negative -- interactions with them.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
My full statement:

Law enforcement officers, per se, do not make me, a rational adult, uncomfortable. I know many law enforcement officers, have had some in my extended family and have worked professionally with many federal LEAs.

I tend not to categorize people based on who they are or what their legal and honorable profession may be. I have specific opinions about specific people based on my positive -- or negative -- interactions with them.

If cops don't interact with you, all cops are good. No?

My statement is broader than that. If I have not had interaction with a person, I have no reason to 'categorize' them as making me feel comfortable or uncomfortable when first in their presence. I hope that my early acculturation has evolved enough to allow me to consider everyone I meet worthy of respect ... which is either enhanced or diminished based on what they *do*, not who they are or what they do for a living.

Naturally, I maintain an evaluative awareness that may affect my sense of comfort, but that is *situational* based on the actions of others (posture, behavior, disparity of force, etc.).

More specifically to the thread, I have had many interactions with LEOs in my long life, and I do not remember ever having experienced any of the kinds of negative behavior that leads some on this forum to be so overtly negative regarding LEOs. Thanks to this forum and others like it, I know the law and my rights and if ever a situation occurs such as some have experienced, I am satisfied that I will know how to react.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I know many law enforcement officers, have had some in my extended family and have worked professionally with many federal LEAs.

Bully. I have friends with LEO jobs, too. And they don't make me uncomfortable per se.

But if you don't go into hyper-alert mode when cops walk into the restaurant you're in, then you've got blinders on. Which is no surprise, given the above.

More specifically to the thread, I have had many interactions with LEOs in my long life, and I do not remember ever having experienced any of the kinds of negative behavior that leads some on this forum to be so overtly negative regarding LEOs.

Then it's highly probable that most of your "interactions" with LEOs actually qualify as "fraternizing". :lol:

It only takes a single abuse of authority to color one's reactions to the presence of on-duty police for a lifetime, and I'd hazard a guess that most of us have been there. The fact that you like to buddy up with 'em doesn't impress, as anecdotes go.

See, the thing you don't get is, I have absolutely zero problem "respecting" police officers on an individual basis – should the individual officer warrant my respect (as do the aforementioned friends of mine). This isn't about "respect". It's about the simple fact that the presence of "LEOs" dramatically increases one's odds of wrongful deprivation of civil rights.

The best thing a good cop can do for you is nothing at all. The worst thing a bad cop can do is ruin your month (life?) with virtual impunity.

Again, if that doesn't make you uncomfortable, you're just an ostrich.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Bully. I have friends with LEO jobs, too. And they don't make me uncomfortable per se.

But if you don't go into hyper-alert mode when cops walk into the restaurant you're in, then you've got blinders on. Which is no surprise, given the above.

Then it's highly probable that most of your "interactions" with LEOs actually qualify as "fraternizing". :lol:

It only takes a single abuse of authority to color one's reactions to the presence of on-duty police for a lifetime, and I'd hazard a guess that most of us have been there. The fact that you like to buddy up with 'em doesn't impress, as anecdotes go.

See, the thing you don't get is, I have absolutely zero problem "respecting" police officers on an individual basis – should the individual officer warrant my respect (as do the aforementioned friends of mine). This isn't about "respect". It's about the simple fact that the presence of "LEOs" dramatically increases one's odds of wrongful deprivation of civil rights.

The best thing a good cop can do for you is nothing at all. The worst thing a bad cop can do is ruin your month (life?) with virtual impunity.

Again, if that doesn't make you uncomfortable, you're just an ostrich.

All I can infer from your posting (ignoring the ad hominem comments) is that you must have had some really bad experiences with law enforcement in the past, situations which must have soured your attitude and increased your paranoia. Just because one member of a profession treats you badly does not mean that everyone in that profession is going to treat you badly. It must really suck to be you, living in fear of what some LEO is going to do to you. I am often in the presence of state, local and federal LEOs and not once have I ever felt that they were out to "get" me nor were they plotting to deprive me of my civil rights. Certainly, a bad experience with a particular LEO who violates the law or civil rights would be a bad thing, but even if I were subject to such a situation, it would not make me as paranoid as some on here seem to be.

WalkingWolf

I didn't see anywhere where he mentioned living in fear. I guess you consider not licking the backside of government actors fear.

The truth is given that even a small percentage of cops are bad cops, they all wear the same uniform. The badges do not say "good cop" or "bad cop", so all cops until they act otherwise are treated with the same brush. This goes for people as well, so if a gun on a civilian makes a person feel uncomfortable, then they probably feel the same way about a cop.

WalkingWolf

The main difference between a LAC and a cop is there are very very very few instances of LAC violating rights, shooting innocent people, beating innocent people, burning babies. While cops do not do a lot of the above bad behavior they sometimes do it. Cop usually gets away with it, LAC would not.

SFCRetired

All I can infer from your posting (ignoring the ad hominem comments) is that you must have had some really bad experiences with law enforcement in the past, situations which must have soured your attitude and increased your paranoia. Just because one member of a profession treats you badly does not mean that everyone in that profession is going to treat you badly. It must really suck to be you, living in fear of what some LEO is going to do to you. I am often in the presence of state, local and federal LEOs and not once have I ever felt that they were out to "get" me nor were they plotting to deprive me of my civil rights. Certainly, a bad experience with a particular LEO who violates the law or civil rights would be a bad thing, but even if I were subject to such a situation, it would not make me as paranoid as some on here seem to be.

Granted that not all members of law enforcement are less than honest, upstanding members of their profession; I cannot, nor can anyone else, tell the good ones from the bad ones by visual inspection. That being said, to minimize any chance of an interaction with the likes of Daniel Harless, it is far better to stay well away from all of them unless you know a particular member of that profession well enough to know what kind of person they are.

You must also remember that just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you. :lol:

Coach Ike

After my vote, the total is 10% better and 86% worse. Hopefully, businesses will wise up and quit listening to the vocal minority and react to what the majority want.

OC for ME

My full statement:

My statement is broader than that. If I have not had interaction with a person, I have no reason to 'categorize' them as making me feel comfortable or uncomfortable when first in their presence. I hope that my early acculturation has evolved enough to allow me to consider everyone I meet worthy of respect ... which is either enhanced or diminished based on what they *do*, not who they are or what they do for a living.

Naturally, I maintain an evaluative awareness that may affect my sense of comfort, but that is *situational* based on the actions of others (posture, behavior, disparity of force, etc.).

More specifically to the thread, I have had many interactions with LEOs in my long life, and I do not remember ever having experienced any of the kinds of negative behavior that leads some on this forum to be so overtly negative regarding LEOs. Thanks to this forum and others like it, I know the law and my rights and if ever a situation occurs such as some have experienced, I am satisfied that I will know how to react.
We are not talking about "person" but cops.

I have had a cop buddy of mine violate my rights because he is compelled by cop shop policy to disarm citizens for "officer safety." He was not happy about it, kept apologizing, and was not feeling to good about himself when he came over to the house the next day to explain. He wears a body camera, got a MWAG, and I was the guy. He and another cop responded...the other cop did not know me. The entire encounter lasted less than two minutes. I said not one word to either of them. Complied with their demands and we parted ways.

Cop buddy: Excuse me Sir, may I see your CCW endorsement.
Other cop: Removes my XD from its holster from behind.
Me (OCing): Provided endorsement and DL, he calls it in.
Cop buddy: Thanks you Sir.
Other cop: Placed my XD back in its holster.
Other cop: You are free to go.
Me: I go on about my business and they depart.

A good cop will violate your rights and likely feel bad about doing so.