• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clay deputy's son, 2, accidentally fires father's gun inside Wendy's;

WalkingWolf

(4)(a) Any parent or guardian of a minor, or other adult responsible for the welfare of a minor, who knowingly and willfully permits the minor to possess a firearm in violation of subsection (3) commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Primus

(4)(a) Any parent or guardian of a minor, or other adult responsible for the welfare of a minor, who knowingly and willfully permits the minor to possess a firearm in violation of subsection (3) commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

So your alleging his guy KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLY PERMITTED his kid to possess the gun in the store?

Lol :D

WalkingWolf

784.05 Culpable negligence.—

3) Whoever violates subsection (1) by storing or leaving a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a minor commits, if the minor obtains the firearm and uses it to inflict injury or death upon himself or herself or any other person, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Primus

784.05 Culpable negligence.—

3) Whoever violates subsection (1) by storing or leaving a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a minor commits, if the minor obtains the firearm and uses it to inflict injury or death upon himself or herself or any other person, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

AND USES IT TO INFLICT INJURY OR DEATH UPON HIMSELF OR HERSELF OR ANY OTHER PERSON...... Close....but don't think anyone was injured...

notalawyer

The minor did not possess the firearm, his father did. :banghead:

And if you attempt to imply that the child (by pulling the trigger) was possessing it, it was not permitted knowingly and willfully by his father. :cool:

Care to try for another statute?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

AND USES IT TO INFLICT INJURY OR DEATH UPON HIMSELF OR HERSELF OR ANY OTHER PERSON...... Close....but don't think anyone was injured...

Bullet fragments bouncing off the floor also struck the boy’s grandfather as well as two female customers who were standing nearby.

WalkingWolf

The minor did not possess the firearm, his father did. :banghead:

And if you attempt to imply that the child (by pulling the trigger) was possessing it, it was not permitted knowingly and willfully by his father. :cool:

So the father actually discharged the firearm? The child had to have at least his finger on the unsecured firearm to discharge it. But to be honest I believe the officer is blatant liar, and the child did not discharge it, HE DID. He would rather blame a two year old than admit he is an idiot.

Last edited:

notalawyer

So the father actually discharged the firearm? The child had to have at least his finger on the unsecured firearm to discharge it. But to be honest I believe the officer is blatant liar, and the child did not discharge it, HE DID. He would rather blame a two year old than admit he is an idiot.

Perhaps, but not criminally so. :lol:

WalkingWolf

Perhaps, but not criminally so. :lol:

No from what I have seen if he negligently discharged his firearm in a public place he can't be charged. Unless he willfully discharged the firearm, but he can be charged if his son did, because the gun obviously was not secure from a minor. Now we know he will not be, and if it happened to a LAC they probably would be.

Also it is unfortunate unless there is a crime involved it is legal to lie to police in Florida, so he cannot be charged with that. But that does not mean he cannot be fired from his job, for both lying, and being stupid. What kind of moron police officer is so stupid and situational dumb to not notice a minor sticking a hand in the pocket that holds your gun? Ohhh never-mind I already know the answer.

Imagine that~~ a gun grab committed by a two year old on a conceal carrier. Kinda blows the OC gun grab myth out of the water. I don't know any OCers were a two year old fired their gun.

notalawyer

No from what I have seen if he negligently discharged his firearm in a public place he can't be charged. Unless he willfully discharged the firearm, but he can be charged if his son did, because the gun obviously was not secure from a minor. Now we know he will not be, and if it happened to a LAC they probably would be.

Also it is unfortunate unless there is a crime involved it is legal to lie to police in Florida, so he cannot be charged with that. But that does not mean he cannot be fired from his job, for both lying, and being stupid. What kind of moron police officer is so stupid and situational dumb to not notice a minor sticking a hand in the pocket that holds your gun? Ohhh never-mind I already know the answer.

Imagine that~~ a gun grab committed by a two year old on a conceal carrier. Kinda blows the OC gun grab myth out of the water. I don't know any OCers were a two year old fired their gun.

but he can be charged if his son did, because the gun obviously was not secure from a minor.
Nope. Storage != Carry.
790.174(1)
A person who stores or leaves, on a premise[SUP]*[/SUP] under his or her control, a loaded firearm... and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent
In this story, the firearm was not 'stored' or 'left' on a premises. Additionally, although not applicable to this situation, no reasonable person would suspect that a minor is likely to gain access to a firearm in a pocket or a holster without consent of his/her parent.

Also it is unfortunate unless there is a crime involved it is legal to lie to police in Florida,
Why do you feel it's unfortunate?

And it's not just when a crime is committed it is a very specific set of crimes and only when the 'lie' is a material fact in relation to the crime being investigated. None of which apply when discussing the presence of a firearm. As it should be.

[SUP]*[/SUP] Editorial comment on the statutory language:
The word PREMISE (singular) refers to a proposition for arguing a point a writer or speaker wants to make.

The word PREMISES (plural) would be the correct choice when referring to a location–land or the buildings on the land. It can also refer to a building or part of a building, as in "Our designer is located on the PREMISES." Therefore, the business profile sentence should read this way:

The Truth

I was thinking the exact same thing! Hilarious!

Florida State Statue 790. Allowing a child to have
access or fail to stop a child from gaining access to
a firearm.

Thanks.