• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now it is panera bread. Keep your guns out of our restaurants

Law abider

One more restaurant bites the dust. Leos get special treatment. WOW

In a Monday statement, the restaurant chain cites “Panera Warmth” as part of the reasoning behind the decision:

“Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.”

Anti-gun groups, like former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety, have tried to pressure various businesses into announcing anti-gun policies.

chowda

One more restaurant bites the dust. Leos get special treatment. WOW

Don't see what's so hard to comprehend.
LEOs DO get special treatment due to the responsibilities/duties to the public they have. Part of their job description, their uniforms, their training, their support structure, the legal system, etc. I don't equate some kid with an ak around his neck walking into panera with a LEO walking into Panera bread. Sorry, but they aren't the same.

Yet another business made a business decision on what they can do on their private property. I'd do the same thing if I had people bringing long guns onto my private property where I run a business. I'd do it in a heart beat and if they whined about it, I'd prohibit pistols too--probably would do that right off as my exercising my rights would engender a lot of angst among the long gun toters would certainly bring a gaggle of the armed goslings in if they have pistols and annoy my customers....that pay my and my employees bills.

rickyray9

That sucks =/ If every conservative would boycott these types of venues, especially during politically charge election seasons, then they'd probably change their tune pretty quickly.

Leos get special treatment. WOW

LEOs ALWAYS get special treatment at restaurants. I know from personal experience that most places comp entire meals for cops (fast food joints included.) It is rooted, however, in LEO culture to tip the server the entire value of the meal that they just got for free, so I guess that part balances out.

If I had a restaurant, I'd give 10%-20% off for ALL OCing parties

chowda

LEOs ALWAYS get special treatment at restaurants. I know from personal experience that most places comp entire meals for cops (fast food joints included.)
I think the person was talking about "special treatment" meaning the police don't have to take off their firearms, duty belt, vest, etc. and leave them in their car outside. And with the outright animosity out there by some people, even on this board, it would be dangerous for a uniformed police officer to go into a restaurant after leaving his means to defend himself out in his vehicle. Yes, some people out there specifically target police officers. That's why their name and address aren't given out as people will want revenge or just acting out some deep seated anger at an authority figure.

I know of no places, nor instances of comping entire meals to police officers. I doubt if that's even allowed due to the many possibilities of a conflict of interest on so many levels. But common is a 'free coffee' at places like the local neighborhood stop and rob.

pkbites

I know of no places, nor instances of comping entire meals to police officers. I doubt if that's even allowed due to the many possibilities of a conflict of interest on so many levels. But common is a 'free coffee' at places like the local neighborhood stop and rob.

At one time it was very common to get tons of stuff free, including full meals. Circa the late 90's all that stopped not because of the businesses but because gratuity policies of law enforcement agencies were beefed up and strictly enforced. Even a free soda or cup of coffee is forbidden unless it is free to the entire public. Written policy states that actively looking for a handout is not only grounds for dismissal, it could be grounds for a Misconduct in Public Office charge under the right situations.

Business still try to give free stuff but we have to refuse it. If we order something and they won't take our money we are required to leave the price of the item on the counter/table. What happens to it after that is the businesses business.

Oh, and I was at a Panera about a month ago and did not see any anti-signs.

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
The "no guns" press statement is a request not a demand. They have no formal policy requiring or suggesting any of their locations post.

OC for ME

At one time it was very common to get tons of stuff free, including full meals. Circa the late 90's all that stopped not because of the businesses but because gratuity policies of law enforcement agencies were beefed up and strictly enforced. Even a free soda or cup of coffee is forbidden unless it is free to the entire public. Written policy states that actively looking for a handout is not only grounds for dismissal, it could be grounds for a Misconduct in Public Office charge under the right situations.

Business still try to give free stuff but we have to refuse it. If we order something and they won't take our money we are required to leave the price of the item on the counter/table. What happens to it after that is the businesses business.

Oh, and I was at a Panera about a month ago and did not see any anti-signs.
I'd like to see this policy...check the fine print...see if doughnuts are exempt from the policy. ;)

pkbites

I'd like to see this policy...check the fine print...see if doughnuts are exempt from the policy. ;)

Yes.

Doesn't mean there aren't officers breaking it. I don't.

At one time we used to be able to go to the fair park and get as many cream puffs as we wanted. The state fair cops would even make rounds to all the departments in the county and bring flats of them. No more.

WalkingWolf

McDonald's in Chicago used to give us free meals, they refused money. Most Burger Kings were free or half price, most other restaurants were half price. It was against policy to accept, but it was pretty hard to refuse the half price when they rang it up that way without asking.

Most business should be educated that crimes do not happen when there are LAC OCing. And that allowing OC would decrease their chance of crime, but instead they listen to Mad Moms. Or some of them do, most of the local business welcome OC.

Primus

Yes.

Doesn't mean there aren't officers breaking it. I don't.

At one time we used to be able to go to the fair park and get as many cream puffs as we wanted. The state fair cops would even make rounds to all the departments in the county and bring flats of them. No more.

Cream puffs? Damn.... Lol

I don't know of many of places locally that cut us big discounts. I have one chicken place that will discount maybe 10% and some local gas stations will offer free coffee to keep us coming there.

I think the best deal I've seen is a local gas station charges a dollar for everything in the store. So whether it's a candy or energy drink it's a dollar a piece. When you pay full price they take offense to it.

chowda

Circa the late 90's all that stopped not because of the businesses but because gratuity policies of law enforcement agencies were beefed up and strictly enforced.

That would make sense as on the surface, a cup o joe wouldn't seem like much, but lines can get blurred and larger items can be viewed as currying favors or even 'buying a police presence'.

pkbites

That would make sense as on the surface, a cup o joe wouldn't seem like much, but lines can get blurred and larger items can be viewed as currying favors or even 'buying a police presence'.

It can bite you in the donkey. Some years back when bungee jumping was the fad some off duty officers all went one day and did it. The operator knew who they were and gave them a special "police discount".

About a week later the bungee operator got in a bit of minor hot water at his business. When 2 of the officers showed up he got mad and complained to the supervisor that he had "taken care of" those officers and they should leave him alone.

They were off duty when he gave them the discount. But see how that works? CHOMP! :eek:

smithman

The "no guns" press statement is a request not a demand. They have no formal policy requiring or suggesting any of their locations post.

Just because some company makes some seemingly anti-gun statement to pander to some moms, doesn't mean that you can't carry there. they are just being douchbags but wouldn't actually post a sign on their door. The people who care about this statement are satisfied, and to them this place is now a gun free zone. But we know better.
Not posted = Carry on. Regardless of whatever public statements have been issued.

I for one, continue to OC at my nearby Panera, and will continue to do so. The yuppies need to see you armed.