• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USAF requires enlistment to an oath containing the word "god" -TSGT refuses

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Eay-peasy. Someone in the AF is being a Richard Cranium because they think they can.

When I am called to court, or need a document notarized, or anyhing else that requires a response "under oath" I remind the person that I am allowed to make an affirmation and it is just as legall binding.

Here's the current text of the oath on enlistment: http://www.history.army.mil/html/faq/oaths.html . Note that parenthetical "or affirm" - making affirmation negates needing to utter the "So help me God" statement at the end and a short discussion with someone in JAG should clear it up.

stay safe.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Amish won't swear or affirm. All they will say is they will tell the truth. I've been in court a number of times with Amish and they just won't swear or affirm.

sudden valley gunner

Amish won't swear or affirm. All they will say is they will tell the truth. I've been in court a number of times with Amish and they just won't swear or affirm.

+1 The history behind the 5th amendment is very intriguing I am reading a book now recommended by Citizen "The Origin of the Fifth Amendment" and much of it was a fight against forced oaths. ( ex officio for instance)

davidmcbeth

Banned
+1 The history behind the 5th amendment is very intriguing I am reading a book now recommended by Citizen "The Origin of the Fifth Amendment" and much of it was a fight against forced oaths. ( ex officio for instance)

I think in Israel ... anything you say cannot be used against you in their court system ...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It was made very clear to us when I took my military oaths, that "affirm" was acceptable as a substitute for "swear," and "so help me God" was completely optional. After all, all it means is a request to your God to help you with the oath you just took; Grammatically, it wouldn't be part of the oath, anyway.

People that refuse oaths (like the Pledge) are usually the people that actually paid attention to the words and while they object (usually technically correctly) to the words, they have every intention of being a model person in the performance of their duties. Many of those who take them didn't, yet no one cares.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

It was made very clear to us when I took my military oaths, that "affirm" was acceptable as a substitute for "swear," and "so help me God" was completely optional. After all, all it means is a request to your God to help you with the oath you just took; Grammatically, it wouldn't be part of the oath, anyway.

People that refuse oaths (like the Pledge) are usually the people that actually paid attention to the words and while they object (usually technically correctly) to the words, they have every intention of being a model person in the performance of their duties. Many of those who take them didn't, yet no one cares.

I was sworn in four times (DEP, Ship-out date, First Enlistment at AG, and at 2nd Enlistment). Each time, it was clear to me that I did NOT have to utter the last phrase, nor was it expected of me.