• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with Firearms, first timer

Keens

Hello Folks,

I'm flying to Phoenix from Denver soon, then back to Denver. I've never flown with firearms before. I'm a little nervous about this, as I've heard horror stories. Like gun got lost, confiscated by TSA or LEO, stolen by baggage handlers, etc. What are your experiences flying with firearms? And the process and any pointers to help me get through this.

I plan on flying with either my S&W Sigma .40 or Ruger LC9, and possibly maybe a .22 rifle (Marlin 60 or a 10/22). Going to see a friend and plan to do some target shooting. Don't plan on taking my good babies for fear they will get lost, then I would cry. If these ones I plan to fly with got lost, I would still cry lol. But not as hard as one of my pretty babies I had to work really hard for.

Ammo requirements? I have HP's I was planning to take and have had the same SD HP's, even loaded into my mags after target shooting so I'm sure they have GSR on them. Should I buy new HP's for the trip? Or will I be ok? I really don't want to spend $$ on a few new fresh box's of Hydrashocks. I do plan to buy a couple boxes of either .40 or 9mm target rounds for when we go target shooting.

Just a little nervous, a family member recently flew, no firearms, and TSA picked him up for GSR and scanned him further. He works with firearms and regularly shoots. So do I! I don't like that lol.

Your input on flying with firearms is greatly appreciated!

Blessings,

Keens

davidmcbeth

Banned
I first call the airlines (not the TSA or gov't agency as the airlines control the stuff going into their planes) and get the information needed...and then follow their directions. Never any problems. I always lock my guns up though, regardless of any instructions.

zach

What type of case are you using?

My suggestion would be to use something other than a case that scream "firearm". Funny how a case with the Glock logo comes up missing, but a case with "trombone inside" never disappears.

Also, if you're worried about the ammo, you can purchase in Phoenix. Cabelas, BassPro and tons of guns shops.

One more thing. Document,document,document. Get the name,ID number of anyone you deal with at the airline. They handle firearms in flights all the time, lots of folks coming here to hunt.

Lyndsy Simon

I've flown multiple times with firearms - barring state-level issues, it's actually easier than flying without them.

You'll need a hard-sided, locking case that can't be pried open with your hands. Walmart sells a cashbox for $15 that's exactly the right size for Glock tupperware to fit inside :) Otherwise, a small safe works great. This case should not be locked with a TSA lock - TSA may not open this case without you present, and you retain the key.

Ammunition must be stored in original packaging, or in a "hard-sided container designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition". Geeze, I have several of those for each of my pistols... they're called magazines.

When I fly, I have the above locking cash box in my suitcase. Inside is my Glock 31, wrapped in a T-shirt. Next to it are 3 loaded magazines, themselves wrapped in a tube sock. Note that it is policy for some airlines to prohibit loaded magazines (I forget which), but it is 100% compliant with federal law. I've never had anyone ask to inspect my ammunition.

At the counter, you declare a bag to check and that it contains a firearm. They may ask you if it is unloaded, which of course it is. Occasionally they'll ask you to demonstrate that it is in fact unloaded. You'll get a red tag that needs to be placed inside a the bag containing the firearm. I scotch tape it to the outside of the cashbox.

That's it, you're done. Your bag will come out on the carousel with everyone else's at the destination. There will be no external markings on your bag indicating that a firearm is inside, nor will there be any markings on your ticket showing you are traveling with a weapon. I've never been subjected to additional security because I had checked a gun.

Lyndsy Simon

What type of case are you using?

My suggestion would be to use something other than a case that scream "firearm". Funny how a case with the Glock logo comes up missing, but a case with "trombone inside" never disappears.

Also, if you're worried about the ammo, you can purchase in Phoenix. Cabelas, BassPro and tons of guns shops.

One more thing. Document,document,document. Get the name,ID number of anyone you deal with at the airline. They handle firearms in flights all the time, lots of folks coming here to hunt.

IMO, that's overkill. I've flown in and out of Dallas, Nashville, Little Rock, Charlotte, Dulles, Austin, and several other smaller airports and have never had a problem at all.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Agreed. I've checked one or more pistols or long guns on dozens of occasions. Never had anything stolen, and some of my cases look like gun cases.

If you're actually worried, video yourself packing the guns and checking them, and video yourself opening the bags. Use your cell phone.

RedRuger

Transporting Firearms on Commercial Aircraft

I travel a lot with firearms. I think the following will get you started right.

1. Check the airline or airlines web page for their requirements.
2. Firearms must be transported in a LOCKED case in CHECKED baggage.
3. Place your UNLOADED gun in a LOCKABLE HARD SIDED case that CAN NOT be easily pried open. I use a SIG case and Pelican cases.
4. Lock the hard sided case with locks that only you have the key or combination (NOT TSA LOCKS). TSA may ask you for the key if they need to inspect the contents of the case.
5. Normally approximately 11 pounds of ammunition in boxes that hold each round (NO BULK AMMO) separately can be placed in the outer luggage.
6. Place the locked hard sided case inside your regular luggage (assuming you are carrying short guns).
7. Secure your regular luggage with TSA compliant locks.
8. When you get to the airport quietly ask the airline attendant which line you need to be in to declare a firearm.
9. When you reach the airline check in quietly tell the clerk I NEED A FIREARMS DECLARATION FORM. DO NOT SAY I HAVE A GUN.
10. They will give you the form to fill out and may or may not check to see that your gun is unloaded. Lock you gun case and normal luggage.
11. At that point they will either take your luggage or direct you where to take it for TSA inspection.
12. Hang around for a while until you are mostly certain that there is not a problem. They will page you if there is a problem.

This seems like a lot; however it is relatively simple. For more information I like the following sites:

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/accounts.html

Beau

I use a regular hard sided case that can be locked with a padlock. When you fly out of DIA it can add an extra 10-15 minutes as you have to follow someone to a screening room where they scan your bag and then give you the go ahead. I assume they are checking to make sure nothing is loaded or has a magazine in the firearm.

Southwest has a policy that a magazine can not be inserted into the firearm whether unloaded or not. I assume that applies to all airlines but am not sure. Southwest also says no more than 11 lbs. of ammunition. Not sure if that's federal or just their rule.

jackrockblc

Glad I saw this thread. I'll be flying out of town in a few months, and this is extremely helpful - especially the link that RedRuger posted (I'm printing out the PDF guide).

Southwest has a policy that a magazine can not be inserted into the firearm whether unloaded or not. I assume that applies to all airlines but am not sure. Southwest also says no more than 11 lbs. of ammunition. Not sure if that's federal or just their rule.

From what I've found, the no-loaded-firearms is federal. The weight limit on ammunition does appear to be a Southwest policy, though.

Beau

Glad I saw this thread. I'll be flying out of town in a few months, and this is extremely helpful - especially the link that RedRuger posted (I'm printing out the PDF guide).

From what I've found, the no-loaded-firearms is federal. The weight limit on ammunition does appear to be a Southwest policy, though.

I know that the no loaded is federal but Southwest doesn't even allow an unloaded magazine to be inserted into the firearm. Even when not flying Southwest I don't leave unloaded mags in the firearm. I figure why give them something to freak about.

I've also noticed that procedure can vary between airports even with the same airline. Last time I flew from DIA the Southwest Clerk wanted to visually inspect firearms. When I flew back from Milwaukee they didn't have me open the case.

HPmatt

I've found carrying handguns in a pelican box, packed inside my checked bag - the ticket agents are not concerned about weighing your bag when you tell them you need to check a weapon - the skip weighing the bag for the 50# limit. As such can carry a good amount of ammo, boots, etc. I carry ammo in a small (taped shut) cardboard box if I don't have the original boxes.

Want to there is a high level of confidence the airline will not lose your bag - they will catch all kinds of hell if they have to report they lost a bag with firearms inside the secure area.

RedRuger

Another Security Tip

Flare guns are considered firearms for airline transport. If you have valuables (documents, jewelry, electronics, etc) that you want to protect; throw them in a hard sided firearms case; toss in an UNLOADED flare gun, lock the hard sided case with real (not TSA) locks, and then declare the luggage as containing firearms.

solus

I normally travel with 6 pistols in one box and have (knock on wood) never experienced a problem to/from Denver (15 trips a year) or flying to Washington state and back to the east coast.

get there early!!

1. flying out of Denver, leave your locks on your gun box unlocked until you get to the check in counter.
2. declare your suitcase as requiring special handling when you get to the check in counter. (counter personnel may ask to verify it is unloaded ~ do it safely is all I can advise!!
3. fill out the paper work and put the little piece of paper you filled out in your gun box & LOCK YOUR box, with non TSA locks, assuring the box has lock capability on both sides of the case to assure it can not be pried open. TSA has been known to reject carriers if they feel it isn't secure.
4. the counter personnel will hand your suitcase to an individual of foreign origin to take to TSA inspection in the middle of the terminal floor. FORCE (Yelling in a loud voice works well!!) the little individual to wait for you to walk along.
5. TSA will inspect your suitcase and hand it back to the individual of foreign origin, again, INSIST (see above) the little individual wait for you to accompany him as he walks outside and puts your suitcase on the down conveyer belt. WAIT and WATCH it disappear into the bowels of the terminal.

6. aim downstairs to go through physical inspection to get to the terminal. if TSA gets cranky due to reside, smile sweetly and remember they have a job to do and it is the reason you got there early!!

11 pounds is federal limit. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

enjoy your flight

upon arrival, open your suitcase immediately in the terminal pick up area to verify the contents have not be tampered with. if so immediately head to terminal baggage personnel.

I can not provide insight to fly out of phoenix...

ipse

Last edited:

RedRuger

Document

I carry a voice recorder. Be aware voice recording laws vary by state. Conversation might be something like this:

Me to myself: Los Vegas airport Southwest airlines 9:41 am waiting on ticket agent

Me to ticket agent: Good morning Mary B... I need a firearms declaration

Ticket agent: Here is the form. Please sign the back and put it in your gun box. Take your luggage to the TSA counter.

TSA Person: I need to inspect your luggage. Please give me the key.

Me to TSA Person: 9:51 am Good morning Byron .... here is the key

If nothing unusual happens then I just delete the recording when my recorder fills up. Otherwise I have a record with times of what transpired.

RedRuger

This case should not be locked with a TSA lock - TSA may not open this case without you present, and you retain the key.

That is what the rules say. In some airports TSA inspection of luggage is in a public area and you can watch them scan and inspect your luggage. In some airports TSA has a private screening room where you can watch them inspect your luggage. In some airports TSA has no public access to the screening area. They will ask you for the key and disappear into the bowels of the airport. You can quote the rules to them if you want. Their response will probably be " OK YOUR LUGGAGE DOES NOT GET ON THE PLANE".

My advise: Give the TSA Agent (and only the TSA agent) your key and make sure that he understands that you know what his name is and what the date and time is.