• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

insane patriotards get butthurt over mechanic using imperial flag to fix machinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe because they show respect to our nation's flag and want others to do likewise.

I personally preferred the time when the penalty was more severe.

stealthyeliminator

I treat all of my flags with respect*, but I'm not going to get butt hurt if someone else treats theirs poorly. I have no right to interfere with them doing what they want with their flag. I'm surprised that you would think otherwise, grapeshot.

*I do not own an American flag

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I treat all of my flags with respect*, but I'm not going to get butt hurt if someone else treats theirs poorly. I have no right to interfere with them doing what they want with their flag. I'm surprised that you would think otherwise, grapeshot.

*I do not own an American flag
Did not say that I would interfere..... or had a right to do so.

state hater

Banned
What is this, the freaking stone age? People actually are treating some inanimate object as if it is a god. That is stone age superstition at its worst.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think that they have the right to do whatever they want to the flag. And we have a right to make a stink about it.

I personally, have no emotional attachment to anything made by man. Use it as toilet paper as much as I care.

stealthyeliminator

Did not say that I would interfere..... or had a right to do so.

You said you preferred the time when the penalty was more severe. So, you preferred the time when people did more wrong, in that they intervened more where they had no right to intervene at all? Did I misunderstand what you meant by 'when the penalty was more severe'?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What is this, the freaking stone age? People actually are treating some inanimate object as if it is a god. That is stone age superstition at its worst.
You make a straw man argument (introduction of a deity) then compound it by being insulting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You said you preferred the time when the penalty was more severe. So, you preferred the time when people did more wrong, in that they intervened more where they had no right to intervene at all? Did I misunderstand what you meant by 'when the penalty was more severe'?

When the penalty was more severe, there was less desecration for a combination of reasons.

It was a different time. One in which I found much to favor.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A citizen has the right to do what he wishes with a flag in his ownership.

A public employee does not have the same latitude with a flag owned by the government he is paid by. He is claiming ignorance, fine; that's one thing. He is also refusing to apologize even though ordered to do so by his boss, the mayor. That's also interesting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When the penalty was more severe, there was less desecration for a combination of reasons.

It was a different time. One in which I found much to favor.
So you don't respect people's right to do what they want to their own property?
I do not take kindly to having my words misrepresented - you should stop while you are ahead.

solus

i am sure there are more than one out here who also, at times, wish for more productive accountability for those who infringe on other's sensibilities. however, to judge previous eras of the way it was done or handled and then in current time criticize people's actions in the past is like Monday morning quarterbacking and extremely non productive to the scheme of things, especially when we fail to learn anything. I know my grand father and even my father, at times, longed and wished for the return to the way things were, vice the way they had mutated throughout their lifetimes.

C'est la vie, plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

ipse

Last edited:

state hater

Banned
I do not take kindly to having my words misrepresented - you should stop while you are ahead.

Then I'll let you explain how "I personally preferred the time when the penalty was more severe." [in the context of flag-burning] is compatible with private property rights.

WalkingWolf

While it is nothing I would do, or would approve of, it is another instance of one group trying to control what a individual does, or group that harms no one.

People need to learn to move on with matters that are outside their hands, and live and let live.

twoskinsonemanns

Maybe because they show respect to our nation's flag and want others to do likewise.

I personally preferred the time when the penalty was more severe.

I personally prefer the state not have laws implying their symbols are connected to god or religion.
Desecration means damaging something holy. Holy meaning connected to god or religion.
There are many things I may think are ugly that still should not bring the State's wrath.

twoskinsonemanns

While it is nothing I would do, or would approve of, it is another instance of one group trying to control what a individual does, or group that harms no one.

People need to learn to move on with matters that are outside their hands, and live and let live.

perfectly said.

Status
Not open for further replies.