• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy kills dog but does not get charged ... even though the dog is a K9 cop

OC for ME

Nevertheless Williams has been reassigned to courthouse bailiff, the sheriff told WITN-TV, adding that the district attorney’s office elected to not bring charges against the deputy due to lack of criminal intent.
Yet, that DA would've, or perhaps still does, prosecute a lawful OCer for GATTTOP. That cop would, or did and does not anymore, arrest a lawful OCer for GATTTOP. Lastly, when has "lack of criminal intent" been a deterrence for any level of LE.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have decided that whatever unhappiness I might have that the cop was not charged for animal cruelty is just that - unhappiness.

What does frost me is that he has (to give him the benefit of the doubt) negligently destroyed city property and is not being held accountable for the dollar loss.

stay safe.

OC for ME

§ 14-360. Cruelty to animals; construction of section.

(a) If any person shall intentionally overdrive, overload, wound, injure, torment, kill, or deprive of necessary sustenance, or cause or procure to be overdriven, overloaded, wounded, injured, tormented, killed, or deprived of necessary sustenance, any animal, every such offender shall for every such offense be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_47.html
Intentionally is the operative word. The DA used the wrong term, the DA should've said that there is no law against forgetting you have a dog in your car, leaving the dog to die in your car, overnight, and as such the state will not pursue a criminal complaint.