• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does the state promote patriotism to benefit itself?

Does the state promote patriotism to benefit itself?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

state hater

Banned
I think that the answer to this question is clearly "yes." The state shoves patriotism down the throats of public school children. Public schools (and highly regulated private schools) teach young children to obey authority without question, and that they live in the best country in the world. The mainstream media (aka presstitutes) gives the government's perspective on all sorts of issues, and refuses to cover issues that make the state look bad (they were cheerleaders for the invasion of Iraq, they demean those who question the government's version of events in any given incident, etc.).

stealthyeliminator

This seems like such an obvious question... But unfortunately I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see people answer other than yes.

WalkingWolf

Patriotism is not love of country, if by “country” you mean scenery—amber waves of grain, purple mountain majesty, and the like. Almost every country has pretty collections of rocks, water, and stuff that people grow and eat. If that’s what patriotism is all about, then Americans have precious little for which we can claim any special or unique love. And surely, patriotism cannot mean giving one’s life for a river or a mountain range.

Patriotism is not blind trust in anything our leaders tell us or do. That just replaces some lofty concepts with mindless goose-stepping.

Patriotism is not simply showing up to vote. You need to know a lot more about what motivates a voter before you judge his patriotism. He might be casting a ballot because he just wants something at someone else’s expense. Maybe he doesn’t much care where the politician he’s hiring gets it. Remember Dr. Johnson’s wisdom: “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”

Waving the flag can be an outward sign of patriotism, but let’s not cheapen the term by ever suggesting that it’s anything more than a sign. And while it’s always fitting to mourn those who lost their lives simply because they resided on American soil, that too does not define patriotism

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-true-meaning-of-patriotism

Fascism

1."Everything in the state". The Government is supreme and the country is all-encompasing, and all within it must conform to the ruling body, often a dictator.
2."Nothing outside the state". The country must grow and the implied goal of any fascist nation is to rule the world, and have every human submit to the government.
3."Nothing against the state". Any type of questioning the government is not to be tolerated. If you do not see things our way, you are wrong. If you do not agree with the government, you cannot be allowed to live and taint the minds of the rest of the good citizens.
The use of militarism was implied only as a means to accomplish one of the three above principles, mainly to keep the people and rest of the world in line. Fascist countries are known for their harmony and lack of internal strife. There are no conflicting parties or elections in fascist countries.

Benito Mussolini

Please learn the difference...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One man's expression of his patriotism.....and it wasn't forced on him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc

This country is not perfect, but I will stand beside this man before I will with those that sling sarcasm and negativity around their shoulders like a cloak of superiority. That is indicative of their baggage - speaks volumes.

solus

i just wish state hater you would give this subjective BS a rest...

ipse

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

One man's expression of his patriotism.....and it wasn't forced on him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc

This country is not perfect, but I will stand beside this man before I will with those that sling sarcasm and negativity around their shoulders like a cloak of superiority. That is indicative of their baggage - speaks volumes.

OP's baggage is irrelevant and off topic. A very simply question was asked and it has a simple, obvious answer. You may not like the negativity, I may not either, but the answer to the question is incredibly easy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OP's baggage is irrelevant and off topic. A very simply question was asked and it has a simple, obvious answer. You may not like the negativity, I may not either, but the answer to the question is incredibly easy.
The OP's baggage IS the point - so far it has been his sole contribution to this forum.

Poles with only one answer correct answer have no redeeming purpose IMO - I'll not be led by my nose. Look beyond the question.

stealthyeliminator

The OP's baggage IS the point - so far it has been his sole contribution to this forum.

Poles with only one answer correct answer have no redeeming purpose IMO - I'll not be led by my nose. Look beyond the question.

Meh. Just re-read the OP, appears to be factually correct on all points. I agree with it. Led by your nose? Give me a break. A simple, "yes that's all true, but let's not be negative about it" would probably do a lot more good than trying to put the OP down, purporting that he's just slinging baggage around the forum.

WalkingWolf

Meh. Just re-read the OP, appears to be factually correct on all points. I agree with it. Led by your nose? Give me a break. A simple, "yes that's all true, but let's not be negative about it" would probably do a lot more good than trying to put the OP down, purporting that he's just slinging baggage around the forum.

The thread followed OP's remarks in an attempt to insult other members. It backfired, this thread was a clear continuation of those remarks. But the OP is incorrect, patriotism is not what he described, he clearly is describing fascism. A patriot is about freedom and liberty, and IMO about acceptance of others and their opinions which it appears he is completely devoid.

Grape is on the money, this thread is about trolling. There is nothing wrong with respecting or even loving the flag but hating fascism, IMO the flag represents the people of this nation. Just like refugee Cubans display the Cuban flag. If anybody thinks that they risked their life to be free of communism, yet they love the country they left makes them a communist subject to the Cuban government they are idiots.

The jury is still out though on the OP, we have to see if he continues to be a provocateur.

sudden valley gunner

The State wants people to believe patriotism is something it isn't. Statism, jingoism, nationalism, social contract etc.......nothing to do with being a patriot.

The Truth

Voted no because I think statism and nationalism are shoved down kids' throats by the state for their benefit and to make it appear that being a statist = being a patriot.

Primus

Still trying to figure out this "state" being. Since that matters.... A lot.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

You've gotta be kidding me..... The answer to the poll is obvious. Take your mud to someone else's water.

Don't think too hard, I wouldn't want you to keel over and croak!

Or trip and fall chewing gum...

So one legit question..... And 4 non answers.

A common tactic is when someone doesn't know the answer is to simply attack the person asking the question.

Let me break it down a bit more since it may have been a bit too complicated....

Who is the OP referring to? The term "state" can mean many things.

Is it referencing the United States government? Ok... Just federal? State level (see the different states yet?) Local?

To use the term "state" as some abstract term that has a life of its own is false. Its akin to using the term "boogey man" or "bad guy". Incredibly vague that could many things. So to ask a very pointed question without defining the terms is well.... Dumb.

As already pointed out the question wasn't posed to illicit any intelligent discussion, response, or even a debate.

It was merely more regurgitation of same rhetoric designed to incite like minded fellows to slap him on the back. "Yea man" "your so right brother" " I hate them too good post!!"

And sadly.... Some fell for it...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Truth

Primus, you always play dumb. That's your game, and that's why you don't get a real answer. Learn to use Google, ya blithering smart guy!

"adjective
modifier noun: state

of, provided by, or concerned with the civil government of a country.
"the future of state education"

It's really not that hard to understand, man. You really need the term, "state," defined for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.