• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ready for SB 656: Hello downtown St. Louis! Smile at my new body camera!

Superlite27

As OC will be lawful everywhere in Missouri in 30 days, I am preparing to fully exercise my rights by visiting places previously off limits by law.

That facebook profile pic featuring me and my holstered 1911 standing in front of the St. Louis Arch has been on my mind for years. I anticipate it even more, now that it is a sweet, perfectly legal (soon to be), reality.

I just might take a lawful stroll through Kiener Plaza while I'm there.

It's going to be interesting to find out which Woolworth's.... er..... I mean downtown restaraunts will allow us unwanted folks to eat at their lunch counter.

Of course, I fully expect the possibility that this endeavor might not go as smoothly, or as enjoyably undisturbed as I certanily hope it will.

Therefore, there will be no doubt that I will be documenting every waking moment of this on video. While I would have liked to have purchased one of the more expensive and complicated recording devices that allow for bluetooth transmission of video to one's smartphone, we all have our arbitrary limits to what constitutes "affordable" and "too expensive".

Therefore, I chose to purchase a Scorpion body camera due to its mix of features and price. Detailed Here:

http://www.leacorp.com/scorpion-micro-dv-video-audio-recorder/

While some might consider this too expensive, the features it has are valuable enough to me for the cost.

Although a personal preference, size is very important to me. I don't want a suitcase hanging from my shirt. Heck, I can't even stand a cellphone in my shirt pocket. Too much weight flopping around distracting me. The smaller, the better. This is about as small as I could find without going to a mini-camera wired to a larger remote unit. Of course, there are smaller cameras, but an encounter might last longer than a few minutes, and I definitely want audio capability.

So.....who's up for a downtown excursion as soon as it becomes lawful?

BTW: There are a few other spots that are on my list, out of spite. Yes, spitefulness is an awful trait, but as I am also an honest realist, I am truthful and open about my flaws. Each of us has at least one, and I could do worse than being spiteful. Well, maybe.

Olivette Starbucks is soon to be revisited since Olivette City Council banned OC after a St. Louis Post Dispatch article about open carry in which several of us were interviewed at the Olivette Starbucks.

Anyone up for some good coffee?

Speaking of good coffee, I hear Maplewood's "Coffee Crawl" has some wonderful java! (In 2012, Maplewood completely banned OC solely to prevent it at the Coffee Crawl after a front page story in the Maplewood Patch illustrated the horrors of Open Carry and how we OC'ers would ruin the entire thing caused the city council to go apoplectic.)

Everyone should be sure to attend this annual event next spring!

I know I sure will. Me and my (hopefully) trusty body camera.

Last edited:

Oramac

As OC will be lawful everywhere in Missouri in 30 days, I am preparing to fully exercise my rights by visiting places previously off limits by law.

That facebook profile pic featuring me and my holstered 1911 standing in front of the St. Louis Arch has been on my mind for years. I anticipate it even more, now that it is a sweet, perfectly legal (soon to be), reality.

I just might take a lawful stroll through Kiener Plaza while I'm there.

It's going to be interesting to find out which Woolworth's.... er..... I mean downtown restaraunts will allow us unwanted folks to eat at their lunch counter.

Of course, I fully expect the possibility that this endeavor might not go as smoothly, or as enjoyably undisturbed as I certanily hope it will.

Therefore, there will be no doubt that I will be documenting every waking moment of this on video. While I would have liked to have purchased one of the more expensive and complicated recording devices that allow for bluetooth transmission of video to one's smartphone, we all have our arbitrary limits to what constitutes "affordable" and "too expensive".

Therefore, I chose to purchase a Scorpion body camera due to its mix of features and price. Detailed Here:

While some might consider this too expensive, the features it has are valuable enough to me for the cost.

Although a personal preference, size is very important to me. I don't want a suitcase hanging from my shirt. Heck, I can't even stand a cellphone in my shirt pocket. Too much weight flopping around distracting me. The smaller, the better. This is about as small as I could find without going to a mini-camera wired to a larger remote unit. Of course, there are smaller cameras, but an encounter might last longer than a few minutes, and I definitely want audio capability.

So.....who's up for a downtown excursion as soon as it becomes lawful?

BTW: There are a few other spots that are on my list, out of spite. Yes, spitefulness is an awful trait, but as I am also an honest realist, I am truthful and open about my flaws. Each of us has at least one, and I could do worse than being spiteful. Well, maybe.

Olivette Starbucks is soon to be revisited since Olivette City Council banned OC after a St. Louis Post Dispatch article about open carry in which several of us were interviewed at the Olivette Starbucks.

Anyone up for some good coffee?

Speaking of good coffee, I hear Maplewood's "Coffee Crawl" has some wonderful java! (In 2012, Maplewood completely banned OC solely to prevent it at the Coffee Crawl after a front page story in the Maplewood Patch illustrated the horrors of Open Carry and how we OC'ers would ruin the entire thing caused the city council to go apoplectic.)

Everyone should be sure to attend this annual event next spring!

I know I sure will. Me and my (hopefully) trusty body camera.

Sounds interesting. Depending on the date/time, I could be down for a trip to the Arch. Would certainly make a pretty darn good picture.

kcgunfan

In not sure if this is intentional, but there are a couple points I'd like to clarify.

The new law only applies to people with a CCW permit.

The Museum of Western Expansion is a federal facility, doesn't care about state laws, has searches, and you will have a bad day should you attempt to carry in there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Therefore, I chose to purchase a Scorpion body camera due to its mix of features and price. Detailed Here:

While some might consider this too expensive, the features it has are valuable enough to me for the cost...
No offense meant, but a word to others who may not know differently: the camera that the OP purchased is NOT new and sophisticated. In fact, it seems like every Chinese firm out there has a copy of a camera that looks just like it, and has had for a few years. For instance, this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/VEHO-VCC003MUVIPRO/22791360

I've seen them for $29.95, but couldn't find the listing easily.

Maverick9

No offense meant, but a word to others who may not know differently: the camera that the OP purchased is NOT new and sophisticated. In fact, it seems like every Chinese firm out there has a copy of a camera that looks just like it, and has had for a few years. For instance, this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/VEHO-VCC003MUVIPRO/22791360

I've seen them for $29.95, but couldn't find the listing easily.

Having just gone off on a mini cam review, the Scorpion looks like a pretty good camera, unlike the Veho models which look cr*ptastic. Be careful what you buy, though, there are a lot of low quality things out there.
Not affiliated but there's a YT channel by a guy named harrymedan which goes over a lot of different tiny bodywear cams and a pretty good glasses cam.

On the carrying to test out, you should go with a friend or two who also are up on the law and carrying. You might want to carry a card with pertinent info on the 'new law' as well as a phone with an atty on speed dial.

Good luck!

OC for ME

In addition, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed handgun may be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest or if there is no reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity.
This is the part that bugs Chief Dotson to no end. Restoring liberty is a impediment to LE efforts to "fight crime" just ask das Chief.

jad316

Just wondering when the LEO chiefs, LT's and higher ups are going to speak with patrol officers about the new passage of SB656......

When the lawsuits start hitting them in the ass. Most Chiefs. LT's and higher up supervision just plain don't care because they think qualified immunity will protect them.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

In not sure if this is intentional, but there are a couple points I'd like to clarify.

The new law only applies to people with a CCW permit.

The Museum of Western Expansion is a federal facility, doesn't care about state laws, has searches, and you will have a bad day should you attempt to carry in there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

well they had best care if it's a public place as that would mean they are prohibited from restricting the bearing of arms and no searches are lawful without a warrant or unless a person has been lawfully detailed and we know bearing arms is not RAS. It's an absolute right which can and should be exercised.

Just wondering when the LEO chiefs, LT's and higher ups are going to speak with patrol officers about the new passage of SB656......

I doubt they'll bother and we'll see a spate of assaults and kidnappings in the state by paid government criminals.

Redbaron007

Sometime after October 12 would be my guess.

There's already chatter. Anecdotal, but several city and county LEOs don't really care here....OCing w/out a CCW is the norm. Not sure what the leadership is exactly saying.....but rumors are, nothing big here.

Although.....I would love to be a fly on the wall around Chief KCMO. ;)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
As OC will be lawful everywhere in Missouri in 30 days, I am preparing to fully exercise my rights by visiting places previously off limits by law...
I may just be forced to join you. And, we could invite BriKuz along! PM him and message me, please.

What laws does MO have like "Inducing Panic" and "Disorderly Conduct"?

OC for ME

I may just be forced to join you. And, we could invite BriKuz along! PM him and message me, please.

What laws does MO have like "Inducing Panic" and "Disorderly Conduct"?
Sort of...

Peace disturbance--penalty. 574.010. 1. A person commits the crime of peace disturbance if:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5740000010.HTM
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes%5Cc574.htm
OC by itself does not meet the requirements of this RSMo, however, this has not stopped cops from charging folks anyway.

BriKuz

Might not be able to do anything right away... Short on "activism money" at the moment... I'll have to check with the wife.

jad316

I emailed the following email to St. Louis County Captains and their response so far.
Captains,
I emailing you in regards to Senate Bill 656: OPEN CARRY ORDINANCE~21.750 which takes affect on October 11, 2014. My question is, have you and your staff discussed this new ordinance with the rank and file officers patrolling the streets of St. Louis County. So as they will be understanding when seeing this new carry method and also per the law you have a section that reads "IN ADDITION, NO PERSON CARRYING A CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED HANDGUN MAY BE DISARMED OR PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER UNLESS UNDER ARREST OR IF THERE IS NO REASONABLE AND ARTICULABLE SUSPICION OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY". And will the dispatchers be made aware of a man with a gun call could very well be a CCW holder exercising this new right. Basically I'm just wondering how your officers will be addressing fellow citizens when engaging them as they are your responsibility.

Captain Sack: Response

Sir, we are aware of Senate Bill 656, and we keep our officers appraised of legislation updates such as this. When our 9-1-1 call takers receive calls of this nature; we obtain as much information from the caller as possible and dispatch an officer to conduct an investigation. The officers are trained to handle each call for service based on the individual circumstances of the situation.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at the phone number listed below.

Captain Steve Sack, Commander,
Bureau of Communications
St. Louis County Police Department
7900 Forsyth, Clayton, MO 63105
Office 314-615-5361
Fax 314-615-4698
cid:image004.png@01CF6F72.CEE9D6E0

OC for ME

I emailed the following email to St. Louis County Captains and their response so far.
Captains,
I emailing you in regards to Senate Bill 656: OPEN CARRY ORDINANCE~21.750 which takes affect on October 11, 2014. My question is, have you and your staff discussed this new ordinance with the rank and file officers patrolling the streets of St. Louis County. So as they will be understanding when seeing this new carry method and also per the law you have a section that reads "IN ADDITION, NO PERSON CARRYING A CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED HANDGUN MAY BE DISARMED OR PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER UNLESS UNDER ARREST OR IF THERE IS NO REASONABLE AND ARTICULABLE SUSPICION OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY". And will the dispatchers be made aware of a man with a gun call could very well be a CCW holder exercising this new right. Basically I'm just wondering how your officers will be addressing fellow citizens when engaging them as they are your responsibility.

Captain Sack: Response

Sir, we are aware of Senate Bill 656, and we keep our officers appraised of legislation updates such as this. When our 9-1-1 call takers receive calls of this nature; we obtain as much information from the caller as possible and dispatch an officer to conduct an investigation. The officers are trained to handle each call for service based on the individual circumstances of the situation.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at the phone number listed below.

Captain Steve Sack, Commander,
Bureau of Communications
St. Louis County Police Department
7900 Forsyth, Clayton, MO 63105
Office 314-615-5361
Fax 314-615-4698
cid:image004.png@01CF6F72.CEE9D6E0
The bolded phrase is a problematic depending on the jurisdiction.