• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Lowe's Foods and Walmart

blitz_7

I am new to the gun community and started inquiring at the stores that I go into. I called into Lowes foods corporate and got the OK for open carry and also inquired inside of Walmart and also got the OK. All in Greensboro. I am trying to keep a running list in my head for Greensboro of where I am told it is OK to OC since I am an newbie.
OK: Lowes Foods, Harris Teeter, Walmart...

Feel free to add to the list please so I can feel more comfortable OCing

solus

so pleasant the folks from the Evergreen state dropped by and could constructively contribute and provide insightful information to the OP ~ thanks!.

OP, calling in advance is time consuming and a waste of your energy as you never know, by telephoning, if you're actually discussing the issue with the appropriate individual who has the 'official' say about firearms in their facility.

to save you oddles of time so you have more time so you can actually OC in your community, toddle over to NC OC reports thread in the NC area and read up on what where other NC citizens are carrying and go from there. if you get confused, ask on that thread if someone has experienced a bad carry in such and such establishment.

btw, welcome to OC'g...it is habit forming as you will discover.

ipse

blitz_7

I guess I should have stated that I called Lowes because my wife works there and I didn't want any issues. Her boss had no clue on the rules. I have been looking closely at the signs in the stores I frequent now. Thanks for the suggestions.

papa bear

I guess I should have stated that I called Lowes because my wife works there and I didn't want any issues. Her boss had no clue on the rules. I have been looking closely at the signs in the stores I frequent now. Thanks for the suggestions.

welcome to the forum. keep reading you will learn

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry i'm late to the party.

Asking ahead of time only gives someone the opportunity to tell you "No". Or worse, to call higher up the food chain to get someone else to say "No".

If for some reason you and your OC'd handgun are not welcome you will be informed soon after you arrive. You should thank the person so informing you, leave whatever you have accumulated in potential purchases right there in the middle of the aisle, and politely (which includes no muttering under your breath) leave. If you desire to, before leaving you may politely ask the person their name and position within the establishment. But even if the stockboy tells you you and your gun cannot be there you should not try to buck the issue up the administrative hierarchy then and there. Save that for a phone call, an email, and/or a letter.

Following that line of behavior prevents anybody from using you as an example of the demanding, unreasonable, highly dangerous people walking around with guns.

Your follow-up with management should begin as soon as possible, but unless there are exceptional circumstances I always urge folks to wait no longer than the next day the place is open for business.

stay safe.