• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in public? Carry at home

DaveT319

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but for those who take off their gun when they get home: don't. Home invasions happen at any time of the day, just the same as bad things can happen in "good" parts of town. Just because you are at home doesn't mean there is no potential danger (unless you live in a fortress). Do you want to bet your life on your ability to get to your gun in another room when some lowlife busts through your door?

If you're going to carry, carry always.

Sir Diealotz

Agree and yes I do
At Home
In Public
In Vehicle
While working outside or in my shop
While digging holes with a skid steer loader

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I thought it was a constitutional requirement to have your firearm within arms reach at all times. Doesn't it say somewhere in the good book that if you don't have a sword then beat your plowshare into sword.

If I recall, a few years ago during a home invasion the thug invader tied the old man to a chair. After a couple of hours of ransacking the old man begged and begged to use the bathroom. The thug finely relented and let the old man use the bathroom. That was the thugs mistake. The old man had a gun hidden in the bathroom. Lets just say at the end of that day the world was minus one thug.

Last edited:

Maverick9

I guess it depends on if one is willing or not to allow their wife to be kidnapped !

I'm just amazed someone would find you marriage material...(cymbal, snare drum). :)

Yes, carry at home, since that's where most home invasions happen. And you never know if you're in Bigfoot territory (though most of 'em are harmless).

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I'm just amazed someone would find you marriage material...(cymbal, snare drum). :)

Yes, carry at home, since that's where most home invasions happen. And you never know if you're in Bigfoot territory (though most of 'em are harmless).
Correction!!!! I believe all home invasions happen at home. So if I'm wrong then which home invasions don't happen at home?;)

stealthyeliminator

When I read the thread title I though you were going to be telling people to keep their carry to their own homes :roll eyes: didn't see the username.

I too carry in the house.

But you're right, it can happen anywhere. I chose my residence speicifcally because it's in a 'good' part of town. Within a couple of years someone got shot in the face here in my neighborhood. It can happen anywhere.

rightwinglibertarian

Agree and yes I do
At Home
In Public
In Vehicle
While working outside or in my shop
While digging holes with a skid steer loader

Arent there some states that prohibit this even with a permit? I lose track of the must conceal, must OC or no loaded carry in vehicles. Personally I would be tempted to keep it on the dashboard or in a place that is clearly visible and put some form of bumper sticker on the car warning the owner is armed. If I get stopped, we all know how to deal with LEOs, or should do.

The Truth

Arent there some states that prohibit this even with a permit? I lose track of the must conceal, must OC or no loaded carry in vehicles. Personally I would be tempted to keep it on the dashboard or in a place that is clearly visible and put some form of bumper sticker on the car warning the owner is armed. If I get stopped, we all know how to deal with LEOs, or should do.

VA is essentially whatever you want, just don't CC on your person in the car without a permit. NC is must OC. SC is must CC. In vehicle. I'm sure there are other variants.

Last edited:

Maverick9

VA is essentially whatever you want, just don't CC on your person in the car without a permit. NC is must OC. SC is must CC. In vehicle. I'm sure there are other variants.

It's an interesting 'gotcha' in Va. When I was looking to start carrying, I was afraid to transport the firearm home from the gunshop in the car. I just wasn't sure - oddly it didn't occur to me to Google Va carry laws. Had I known that OC was allowed in Va, I would have armed up years ago (2006).

rightwinglibertarian

i'm most interested in WI, MN and OH as I live in WI, am very close to the MN border and I have family and friends in OH.

WI I believe has the interesting wording that OC in a vehicle without a permit is 'unlawfully concealed'. MN you can carry in a vehicle only with a permit though not sure whether OC or CC and OH i'm not sure at all. Some of the wording in states legislation is a pain in the neck to say the least.

JustaShooter

i'm most interested in WI, MN and OH as I live in WI, am very close to the MN border and I have family and friends in OH.

WI I believe has the interesting wording that OC in a vehicle without a permit is 'unlawfully concealed'. MN you can carry in a vehicle only with a permit though not sure whether OC or CC and OH i'm not sure at all. Some of the wording in states legislation is a pain in the neck to say the least.

In Ohio you cannot legally have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, whether open or concealed, unless you have a license recognized by Ohio (and a WI license is not recognized by Ohio). Once you have a license recognized by Ohio it doesn't matter how you carry it as long as it isn't accessible to unauthorized persons.

MontanaResident

I had a bear looking into my living space last year. The dog let me know, and there was only a screen door keeping him out. Since then I keep vigilant, keep the door closed, and a firearm close by. Sneaky little sheits can come around at anytime.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Arent there some states that prohibit this even with a permit?.

Some states consider vehicle carry "concealed", therefore a "permit" is required, as in Washington. No worries, we follow the law. I do not know of a State that does not allow vehicle carry at all.

I put my pistol in the holster as soon as I get out of bed. At he end of the day, when I get back in that bed, I take it off. I always know where it is, I always know it is loaded, I always know that I have the means to defend myself.

I keep my doors locked because I live in the woods, in a park. Very beautiful, but the whole bloody world walks past my house. Some are not friendly. Please do not burst thru my door. It will not matter who you are, gang banger(we have quite a few), LEO(knock w/warrent), it does not matter. We have planned for it, we have practiced it, we restock the supplies needed to combat it. You will not be successful trying a HI at my location. You will be met with guns, dogs, sharp things, and chemicals. You will not be successful.

Defense of ones Home and Hearth is in your genes. That does not mean that it will come naturally. You may have to cultivate it. Do not wait until it happens to formulate a plan. Strategically placed tools and a plan are needed as well as practice. Your mileage may vary.

Be safe, be prepared. First step would be a handgun, in a holster, at your side.

The Truth

Don't advertise a firearm in ones car, else who will the cops believe on an accusation of armed road-rage when they indeed find a gun in your car, legal or not?

This is how I feel when I cross into NC. I don't understand it, really. I'm forced to handle my pistol and have it in view if anyone were to glance into my truck.

twoskinsonemanns

always carry. Even when I bum around the house in PJs suffering a hang over I still carry. That's why all my PJs have draw strings :)
Even boxers can hold up a light 380

Nevermore1

New to posting here but have reading for a few months (actually registered to ask this question). Could you tell me where you got this information? I usually use handgunlaws and LegalHeat and have never seen anything about being required to OC in a vehicle in NC. I know that you must inform if you are pulled over but want to find where the OC requirements are listed as I have always CC'd the few times I've been there. Luckily I don't go there often but want to make sure I fully understand the law when I do.