• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in public? Carry at home

The Truth

New to posting here but have reading for a few months (actually registered to ask this question). Could you tell me where you got this information? I usually use handgunlaws and LegalHeat and have never seen anything about being required to OC in a vehicle in NC. I know that you must inform if you are pulled over but want to find where the OC requirements are listed as I have always CC'd the few times I've been there. Luckily I don't go there often but want to make sure I fully understand the law when I do.

If you have a NC CC permit you may CC in your vehicle. Me being an out of stater with no CWP in VA (my home state), I must OC even in my vehicle. I should have specified. However, VA CWP does have reciprocity in NC, so you could carry CC in your vehicle in NC with a VA CWP. In Chapel Hill I'm pretty sure OC is illegal. I haven't done proper research into Chapel Hill because I assumed that OC in vehicle was ok since I can't legally conceal without a permit, so how else would it be possible to carry in my vehicle?

Here's a link for reciprocity to VA CWP
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

NC carry in a vehicle rules (page 7)
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

solus

nevermore1, et el., welcome
first since there are no NC statutes discussing OC, alls fair in love in war' at least that is the the GA feels, however, there are some local communities which have implemented their own interpretation of a lack of OC guidance to mean they must impose their own local guidance on its citizens. these exceptions are far and few between within the state as most are quite enlightened on firearm carry.

regarding your query on vehicle carry, the NC AG provides vehicle carry in his firearm overview:

quote ...when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? unquote
http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx pg 22.

(caveat ~ the above is discussing weapon(s) defined in NC statutes not just firearms!!)

as in all situations during interaction with LE, officer safety, from their perspective at least, is paramount and therefore your notification to them of a firearm in the vehicle will go a long way to making your encounter with them shorter. i subscribe to the theory if it is sitting on the seat, LE's are or should be, adults with fairly good eyesight and can see it in plain sight.

however, as some author's regale, whenever i venture outside my sphere of normal travel there is a locked box (small document fire box from walmart) with appropriate foam with an outline for my firearm (s), in my vehicle sitting open on the passenger seat holding my firearm which keeps it from sliding around due to my NASCAR driving tendencies; protecting it in the event of a crash; or i must evacuate the vehicle hurriedly; or in the event of a LE interaction, i just slam the lid closed, it locks automatically, i can then without hesitation state, i do not have a firearm readily available to me. i have been assured by legal advice, the box does not fall under the purview of Heller search criteria and a search warrant must be obtained to look inside of the box. btw, the box's key is not maintained pm my key ring or in the cabin of the vehicle.

since it appears you have your VA CC permit, just carry CC in your vehicle and proffer your permit (NC statute 14-415.11(a)).with your DL (NC statute 20-29) and proof of insurance when approached & addressed by LE.

ipse

after thought, gentle chiding is in order...you know, instead of ' i think, or i guess, or spreading misinformation with comments: "In Chapel Hill I'm pretty sure OC is illegal" (really!!) there is a NC sub forum out there which has members who live and deal w/NC OC/CC every day and who are well versed with the practice and glad to respond to questions about the Tarheel's firearm statutes.

Last edited:

solus

the initial Pjs & boxer visual(s) were too much and now you have to thrown in one about a baggie and a shower....it's going to be a long long time till i rid myself of those...sigh!
ipse

Nevermore1

The Truth and Solus - Thanks for the replies and clarification. Yes, I do have a CHP for VA.

Solus - Sounds like you drive the same way my husband does! I always feel the need to remind to remind him that he is not on the track (he used to race mini modifieds and is always bugging me for a late model)!

The Truth

after thought, gentle chiding is in order...you know, instead of ' i think, or i guess, or spreading misinformation with comments: "In Chapel Hill I'm pretty sure OC is illegal" (really!!) there is a NC sub forum out there which has members who live and deal w/NC OC/CC every day and who are well versed with the practice and glad to respond to questions about the Tarheel's firearm statutes.

OC of a gun smaller than a minimum size is illegal in Chapel Hill. Your answer could have been that simple. Haha.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but for those who take off their gun when they get home: don't. Home invasions happen at any time of the day, just the same as bad things can happen in "good" parts of town. Just because you are at home doesn't mean there is no potential danger (unless you live in a fortress). Do you want to bet your life on your ability to get to your gun in another room when some lowlife busts through your door?

Not necessary. It's off for comfort, but always within arm's reach.