• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying inside Phoenix Mountain preserve

TexasOC

e0b34d7029a1dfa13b9bfcdfe258c076.jpg

I came across this sign at the entrance to a trail up Piestewa (Squaw) Peak. I was under the impression that bars and restaurants that serve booze were the only places in AZ restricted to permit holders. Can anybody explain? Is it outdated? Illegal? I ignored it and nobody seemed to care, but could I have been busted?

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I came across this sign at the entrance to a trail up Piestewa (Squaw) Peak. I was under the impression that bars and restaurants that serve booze were the only places in AZ restricted to permit holders. Can anybody explain? Is it outdated? Illegal? I ignored it and nobody seemed to care, but could I have been busted?

Outdated, and sometimes illegally left standing.

ASUbae found one somewhere along a mountain trail in Maricopa county and I found one on Sentinel Peak ("A Mountain") down here in Tucson. I believe the goal is to have the signs either amended or taken down, as they are in violation of state preemption as written.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

The problem is - thanks to gov brewer preemption violators face no penalties for violating state laws! So there is no incentive for local tin pot dictator want to be's to comply. This is a form of passive opinion enforcement. They know most people are ignorant of their deception and therefore will comply, when state law allows them not to. This is a common ploy used in many states by less than upright municipalities or agencies.

Last edited:

TexasOC

Glad to hear I was right to ignore it. The sign seemed fishy, but it still made me second guess myself. Maybe next time I'm over there, it will mysteriously fall over 😉