• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here

reroka

First I would like to say a whole lot of great info. I am Richard Green, I live in Timberlake NC, today I bought a S&W 40 Cal that I plan on OCing. I also plan on getting my CC permit in Oct. I have already signed up for the class. It seem that open carry is not that big of a deal in this state from what I have read here.

I am still a little worried about carry a hand gun in the open, such as someone trying to sneak behind me and taking it, a cop stopping my and give me a hard time, Gen concerns that I am sure others have had. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself and say thank you for posting such great info. I also planning on attending one or more of your lunch and shoots here real soon.

Rusty Young Man

First I would like to say a whole lot of great info. I am Richard Green, I live in Timberlake NC, today I bought a S&W 40 Cal that I plan on OCing. I also plan on getting my CC permit in Oct. I have already signed up for the class. It seem that open carry is not that big of a deal in this state from what I have read here.

I am still a little worried about carry a hand gun in the open, such as someone trying to sneak behind me and taking it, a cop stopping my and give me a hard time, Gen concerns that I am sure others have had. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself and say thank you for posting such great info. I also planning on attending one or more of your lunch and shoots here real soon.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from (usually:uhoh:) sunny, dry Arizona reroka!:)
Guess the NC folks are a bit busy right now.:confused:

The "gun snatching" myth seems to be propagated by those with a vested interest in having people pay for CC classes and permits ("follow the money trail", is all I'll say for the time being), and Situational Awareness will go a long way in preventing the opportunity for a gun snatch to occur (like allowing someone unfettered access to your OCed sidearm or letting someone come too close to your strong side, etc.).;)

Other than a quality holster, a voice and/or video recorder of some sort (antis have been known to spin tales longer than the Illiad and make the Devil look honest), and a good understanding of the law (I actually keep a print out of the relevant AZ statutes in my back pocket), I think you're good to go.:)

One last thing (I promise; I really only intended to welcome you to the forum:lol:): Don't pass up the chance to familiarize yourself with how your new sidearm handles when you feed it with your carry ammo.
Best of luck in NC.:)

Last edited:

The Truth

Nice choice with the .40 cal. I have one as well.

Welcome, and take Rusty Young Man's advice!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO.

About that gun snatch worry of yours - have you been able to find a verified report that an OCer was targeted because they were OCing? (Regardless of what some moderator will tell you, there really is a three-figure monetary reward for that report. Contact me via PM when you think you are ready to collect it.)

Cops can (and probably will) harass you for being out in public, let alone for anything specific you are doing such as OCing, sitting on a park bench near a playground, or walking past a school (Nobody walks any more. You must be up to something!). Read how other folks have dealt with cops - both good and bad ways of doing so. Practice/rehearse the good ways. Then go out and about. You don't stay cowering in your bedroom because an asteroid might hit the Earth, do you?

stay safe.

blitz_7

Greetings from greensboro nc. I am also new here and will be OCing. There is something about exercising my right that appeals to me. It is weird that the encounters I have with people here in NC include them pushing me to CC.

reroka

To answer your question, I have not seen or researched for any type of report. It's just something in the back of my mind.

I am also worried about how police react if I am at a starbucks in Raleigh and they see it. How are they going to react. I have seen some pretty bad videos on youtube with cops and people who are OCing. More bad vides than good.

Another welcome to OCDO.

About that gun snatch worry of yours - have you been able to find a verified report that an OCer was targeted because they were OCing? (Regardless of what some moderator will tell you, there really is a three-figure monetary reward for that report. Contact me via PM when you think you are ready to collect it.)

Cops can (and probably will) harass you for being out in public, let alone for anything specific you are doing such as OCing, sitting on a park bench near a playground, or walking past a school (Nobody walks any more. You must be up to something!). Read how other folks have dealt with cops - both good and bad ways of doing so. Practice/rehearse the good ways. Then go out and about. You don't stay cowering in your bedroom because an asteroid might hit the Earth, do you?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's understandable to be a bit cautious when doing something for the first time. Sometimes us old-timers forget what it was like our first time on the metaphorical high board.

But 128 pages with nobody being curbstomped or shot http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?65619-NC-OC-experience-reports/page128 .

You could consider asking for an OC-buddy to go with you the first time or two. (Of course, you should volunteer to buy breakfast/lunch/dinner/late night snack :lol: )

stay safe.

reroka

If anyone in the Timberlake/Roxboro area know a place to shoot your handgun. As I have fired many handguns in the past mostly 9mm and .22. I would like to go to a place where I can shoot this. I have never fired a 40 cal and would like to know how powerful, how much kick and so on.

The Truth

One thing to keep in mind...

In the state of North Carolina, OC is not reasonable suspicion to detain you, so unless a cop has reasonable articulable suspicion that you have committed or are going to commit a crime, you are FREE TO GO. If you feel uncomfortable during a mutually consensual encounter with Law Enforcement (LE, or LEO), ask, "Am I free to go?" If you receive no answer, walk away calmly and don't look back. You are free to go and should do just that - GTFO. The following cite is very interesting, and I suggest you thoroughly read it and take notes.

cite:

http://www.fedagent.com/columns/cas...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

As far as Starbucks goes, check for signs near the door prohibiting firearms if you're really worried about it. Other than that, you can only be arrested if you are told to leave and decide not to. It's a trespass, no gun-related charge. Basically, you should be fine unless management decides to make a stand, and even in that case, you just leave - no problem...typically. Always be polite and cordial, always ask for things to be explained to you so that you are in the know for future reference.

Here's a pretty good cite:

http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/?p=4132

I am not a lawyer.

jtitus07

I have seen some pretty bad videos on youtube with cops and people who are OCing. More bad vides than good.

No one wants to watch a 1000 videos of a cop walking past someone without batting an eye, but that is what happens 90% of the time.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO! As far as your concerns my best advice is from the philosopher Nike "Just do it". Your tensions will ease after a while.

I forgot as a former cop you should not talk to cops. Unless they are your friends of course. Since 9/11 it seems a cops primary job has been to lock up citizens instead of keep the peace.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I am also worried about how police react if I am at a starbucks in Raleigh and they see it. How are they going to react. I have seen some pretty bad videos on youtube with cops and people who are OCing. More bad vides than good.

If I decided to post my OC files I'd guess it would be about 100+ Gb of non-event footage and the maybe 2 Gb where something kind of interesting gets said/seen. As it was posted above, boring OC videos where nothing occurs don't bring in a high number of viewers.:lol:

razor_baghdad

If I decided to post my OC files I'd guess it would be about 100+ Gb of non-event footage and the maybe 2 Gb where something kind of interesting gets said/seen. As it was posted above, boring OC videos where nothing occurs don't bring in a high number of viewers.:lol:

BINGO. WE HAVE A WINNER!! OC away my friend. NC is a Gold Star state all the way. You shouldn't have any problem with "most" places that you decide to frequent. Always remember "No Stop and ID".
4 things to take with you: 1. Gun (obviously, and loaded) 2. Holster (duh - or VA tuck) 3. A DVR - best I've seen are $30-40 and can hang around your neck for constant recording, unseen. 4. OC Tri-folds or OC cards - printed as actual cards or just on plain paper. Both serve well for OC information.

As far as the gun grab, my most nervous moments are at the cash register on the way out. I always turn strong side towards the nearest merchandise rack, (90 degrees) to keep an eye on the comings and goings around the exit. While in an aisle casually shopping, keep your head on a swivel and ALWAYS know who/what is behind you. You should NEVER be surprised when someone walks by you.

WalkingWolf

I always unload the cart from the front, any mythical gun grab would have to be from around the grocery cart. But then I do it that way because the cart is easier to unload.

ron73440

NC is great for OC, why get a CC permit?

BlowMonkey5

welcome, reroka.....I'm pretty new to OCing also, so I understand your concerns. However, I've noticed when I Oc, my SA goes thru the roof. I feel that you will also find this to be true over time. As the world's most interesting OCer, once said "Stay alert, my friend."