Thread: Armed teachers part of Spotsylvania request

Armed teachers part of Spotsylvania request

Article published in Sunday's Free Lance-Star.

TFred

Armed teachers part of Spotsy request

Teachers would be able to carry guns in the classroom if Spotsylvania County Supervisor Greg Cebula had his way.

Cebula recently brought up the divisive topic as supervisors discussed their “legislative priorities,” or action they’d like the General Assembly to take during next year’s session.

“I’ll raise a subject that I know everybody will gasp at, but I’m a firm believer that teachers and people who are in the school administration who have concealed carry [permits] have the right to carry on the job,” Cebula said at a meeting. “And this would provide a much greater security venue than we currently have.”

Visit the link above for rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by The article
    Others argue that more guns isn’t the solution.

Spotsylvania Education Association President Peter Pfotenhauer, a teacher at Spotsylvania’s Ni River Middle School, agrees that schools need to look at security. But he says he opposes allowing teachers to carry guns on school property, partly because of liability issues.

“It’s a fundamentally different approach to what most teachers see as how they want to relate to students and parents,” Pfotenhauer said. “We are there to nurture and support and educate and encourage. It’s very difficult to do that if you are also there as the primary means of defense.”
    Funny. You'd think anyone who actually wants to provide some form of a nurturing, supportive environment for encouraging education (whew, got them all in there) would realize that being able to provide some defense from those who would seek to do the children physical harm is one of the biggest tenets of "caring for the children".

Not everyone is sticking their head in the dirt, at least:
    Meanwhile, the supervisors recently voted not to accept grants for two unarmed security guards at elementary schools. Cebula dismissed those positions as nothing more than “glorified hall monitors.”
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 09-14-2014 at 05:22 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Love 'em or hate 'em, one thing you can say about the Free Lance-Star is that their readers LOVE to talk about guns.

The article is up over 70 comments already.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 09-14-2014 at 10:09 AM.

MILLER: A “generation of idiots”!

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.