• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed teachers part of Spotsylvania request

TFred

Article published in Sunday's Free Lance-Star.

TFred

Armed teachers part of Spotsy request

Teachers would be able to carry guns in the classroom if Spotsylvania County Supervisor Greg Cebula had his way.

Cebula recently brought up the divisive topic as supervisors discussed their “legislative priorities,” or action they’d like the General Assembly to take during next year’s session.

“I’ll raise a subject that I know everybody will gasp at, but I’m a firm believer that teachers and people who are in the school administration who have concealed carry [permits] have the right to carry on the job,” Cebula said at a meeting. “And this would provide a much greater security venue than we currently have.”

Visit the link above for rest of the story.

Rusty Young Man

The article said:
Others argue that more guns isn’t the solution.

Spotsylvania Education Association President Peter Pfotenhauer, a teacher at Spotsylvania’s Ni River Middle School, agrees that schools need to look at security. But he says he opposes allowing teachers to carry guns on school property, partly because of liability issues.

“It’s a fundamentally different approach to what most teachers see as how they want to relate to students and parents,” Pfotenhauer said. “We are there to nurture and support and educate and encourage. It’s very difficult to do that if you are also there as the primary means of defense.”

Funny. You'd think anyone who actually wants to provide some form of a nurturing, supportive environment for encouraging education (whew, got them all in there:D) would realize that being able to provide some defense from those who would seek to do the children physical harm is one of the biggest tenets of "caring for the children".:rolleyes:

Not everyone is sticking their head in the dirt, at least:
Meanwhile, the supervisors recently voted not to accept grants for two unarmed security guards at elementary schools. Cebula dismissed those positions as nothing more than “glorified hall monitors.”

Last edited:

TFred

Love 'em or hate 'em, one thing you can say about the Free Lance-Star is that their readers LOVE to talk about guns.

The article is up over 70 comments already.

TFred

Last edited: