• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first post and my first OC

Joeydonutz

Hi I'm joe, I'm up in Reno.

For a while I've youtubed OC and wanted to try it. Well today I finaly got the gusto.

I walked virginia street with my .40 for about 20 minutes before police interaction. I saw them coming! Right under the arch one cruiser 45* angle parked to block traffic and 3 more cruisers behind me.

So out comes the camera.

At the same time I'm running a scanner and hear one of the officers say "he's a youtuber, don't take the bait" the door of the cruiser closest to me opens up, notices the iPhone, shuts his door and high tailed it outta there. I got that on film but then when I went to film the other officers I had my finger on the lense. Darn it! Anyhow the immediately flipped u turns and split. I walked up and down for about an hour after that. I had a couple of thanks and one "can you do that?" And that was all I went home.

Having felt emboldened by this first experience I decided to take my motorcycle out and do the same thing. Wouldn't you know it, at virginia and n McCarran I pull side by side to RPD transporting some crook to jail. We made eyes, he saw it for sure and didn't say a word. I went left, he went straight and that was that.

Then I went to Walmart and bought a few items. I think I scared a kid a little but not too much fuss other than the first "swat" style roadblock runaway officers.

I get it now, we need to desensitize the public to good guys with guns.

Mods, please move if posted incorrectly. Thanks for letting me join the forum. OC on the bike for life I'm thinking.

Bernymac

Did you OC with the purpose of doing the video? Do you carry a scanner all the time?
Post the video of the PD hightailing it out of there.

Last edited:

wimwag

Please forgive my initial instinct.

Did you mean you wanted to try OC, or you wanted to try YouTubing something?

Liveleak is much better than YouTube. Or storing it and threatening to release it unless they correct their behavior.

The Big Guy

Your experience would seem to most of us to be highly unusual as the police generally leave us alone. It is my opinion that if they thought they had a reason to make contact with you, the fact you were obviously recording would not stop them. I'm sorry but something does not seem right with your account.

Regardless, welcome to the forum and I hope we hear more from you. This is a good place to learn the ins and outs of OC. Any questions you might have can be answered here.

TBG

Joeydonutz

Please forgive my initial instinct.

Did you mean you wanted to try OC, or you wanted to try YouTubing something?

No concern for youtube at all. The way I got descended upon scared me and it was like I was acting out of instinct. I've never done OC before and probably scared a tourist. Looking back, it wasn't my smartest move. I've seen quite a few videos where (Gabriel nobles) guys get violated pretty bad so I ran the scanner to not be caught by surprise. The whole make cops look bad thing isn't my bag. We need them. But not a local army.

I've never had a youtube account and don't want one. I just kinda went monkey see monkey do. I'm a native Nevadan and so thankful for our state constitution. Had there been contact I would have ID'd and not try to play lawyer. I didn't want to stir trouble, I wanted to OC.

I can see the errors on my part now. Any advice is appreciated.

Joeydonutz

Your experience would seem to most of us to be highly unusual as the police generally leave us alone. It is my opinion that if they thought they had a reason to make contact with you, the fact you were obviously recording would not stop them. I'm sorry but something does not seem right with your account.

Regardless, welcome to the forum and I hope we hear more from you. This is a good place to learn the ins and outs of OC. Any questions you might have can be answered here.

TBG[/

That's what happened. Thanks for the welcome. Please help me do this the right way with some advice.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No concern for youtube at all. The way I got descended upon scared me and it was like I was acting out of instinct. I've never done OC before and probably scared a tourist. Looking back, it wasn't my smartest move. I've seen quite a few videos where (Gabriel nobles) guys get violated pretty bad so I ran the scanner to not be caught by surprise. The whole make cops look bad thing isn't my bag. We need them. But not a local army.

I've never had a youtube account and don't want one. I just kinda went monkey see monkey do. I'm a native Nevadan and so thankful for our state constitution. Had there been contact I would have ID'd and not try to play lawyer. I didn't want to stir trouble, I wanted to OC.

Thank you for your response.

Now, whether you are YouTubing or not, there is no 'playing lawyer' about your right not to show ID or identify yourself without the cops having RAS (Reasonable Articulable Suspicion of an actual crime). Indeed, unless you are performing a licensed activity, there is no need to carry ID. Walking down the street, even openly carrying a firearm, is NOT an activity requiring a license, and therefore no ID required. Many of us don't carry ID. I keep a bunch of cash in my pocket. My ID stays in the truck.

Regardless, when I do have ID, I will affirm my rights not to identify myself upon casual, consensual, fishing expeditions.

Stick around, you'll get lots of ideas. And keep OC'ing while developing your own style. It's better to make petty mistakes while armed then while unarmed.

Last edited:

renoglock22

I have walked Virginia st. many times, including during events like Hot August Nights, and never once had anything like that remotely happened. I have had looks from LEO, but never anything like that. Cops are not gonna roll up on you like that and then split because of a camera, it makes them look weak and afraid.

wrightme

If you plan to OC, simply OC. Go about your business and OC. There really would be no need for you to have your scanner and camera ready while you take a planned OC walk down a specific street.

Going to the grocery store? Simply go to the store and OC while you are doing what you normally would have been doing then. Grocery shopping.

wimwag

What errors? If you want to OC, do it! It's a right, not a privilege. Other people's opinions don't mean jack.