• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thrown out of Truckstop of America diner in ABQ on University

Wstar425

Daughter lives in ABQ about a mile south of TSA. I have a Wisconsin CCL, which New Mexico does NOT honor, thus OC. Stood out front waiting on her, when she arrived we went inside and sat at a booth. Firearm side up against the wall.

An older guy, the cook I think came over and asked if that was a pistol on my belt. I said yes. He asked if I was a police officer. I said no. (Irrelevant) he said you will have to leave, you are not allowed inside the building. I asked why is that, and he just repeated you are not allowed inside the building. So, we left and went a couple blocks east to the Range? I think.

I had asked in the store if they sold alcohol, they don't. And they said no problem with a OC firearm.

Range was full , no parking and long wait. This was Sunday morning about 10 am. We went back to Little Anita's and had the worst breakfast and service I have ever had.

Went back to the TSA and asked to see the manager. When he came down he looked like he had been sleeping. I offered to shake his hand and when I got a limp wristed, wet dish wash cloth shake in return, I suspected this was not going to go well. I asked about those firearm policy and he said they follow the laws of the state. I told him I had been thrown out of the diner for OC by the guy who I thought was the cook. At that point I wasn't about to eat there any way. Manager said he must have thought I looked like a threat to the other customers. Keep in mind, I had just had a shower, had on a pink long sleeved shirt and clean jeans. I was the most clean cut, best dressed person there, including him. I asked him if I looked like a threat, and he just repeated that the guy must have thought I was. Carriying a Baby Desert Eagle IWB, hand never on firearm and never out of holster. Daughter is a professional at the hospital, and the best looking woman in that place in a long time!

I said well you are NOT following the laws of the state, since the law says I'm allowed to OC . He said they can refuse service to anyone they want to. I said well I won't be coming back here anymore and I will also be telling this story on the CB radio for the next week or so. He didn't seem to care.

I didn't get managers name, Hispanic guy about 35 with his left arm in some kind of a cast. Cook was a white guy about 60 or so, pretty tall.

Thought I did my homework, what did miss? Overall, visit to ABQ pretty unfriendly. I'm a truck driver, I was on my way to LA going that way due to bridge washouts north of Vegas on I-15. Then had a two truck, car collision in California at the 95 north cutoff, what a disaster. Delivering in La Mirada now.

Last edited:

Wstar425

We didn't even get out of the car at the Range and I didn't try to carry at Little Anita's cause daughter thought they served drinks, but I didn't see any on the menu. Won't go back here either. Couldn't get more coffee, breakfast came out cold, toast was not served until we were almost done eating, then he gave us the wrong check for $46.00 for the two of us. Guess I will pass on my backup career as a food critic.

AH.74

Thought I did my homework, what did miss?

I don't think you missed anything- just had the misfortune to deal with a couple of jerks. Misinformed, anti-gun jerks at that.

I'm sure you could find plenty of other places to go which would offer good food and service and more accepting of OC. Maybe a recommendation by some in here next time...

Wstar425

Something better than truckstop food? Surely you jest.....

I've eaten somewhere in there that had a Corvette theme, or maybe sports car theme? Might have been the Range. It was night when I was there, I didn't drive and didn't know exactly where I was.

I-40 across NM is a fine piece of work, if you're on a motocross bike maybe.........

solus

uh, could it have been the pink shirt? :shocker:

Abq, from my understanding is extremely gun friendly (except for the trigger happy police throughout the state that is) but a lot of the Hispanic/Native locals are not comfortable nor firearm savvy and for some reason, unbeknownst to me, have a strong aversion to seeing them.

you did due diligence by telling manager so my recommendation would be to ping TSA corp about it see what their response is..

ipse

Wstar425

U
uh, could it have been the pink shirt? :shocker:

Abq, from my understanding is extremely gun friendly (except for the trigger happy police throughout the state that is) but a lot of the Hispanic/Native locals are not comfortable nor firearm savvy and for some reason, unbeknownst to me, have a strong aversion to seeing them.

you did due diligence by telling manager so my recommendation would be to ping TSA corp about it see what their response is..

ipse

Yeah, daughter says I can rock the pink shirt when I am OC. I'm a reasonably fit 56 year old guy. 6'2 225# I walk 9 miles a day every other week when I am home, and I try to look as much UNLIKE a truck driver as I possibly can. I had thought about contacting corporate TSA but had not decided yet but you're kinda pushing me over the edge to do it. I highly doubt anyone there thought I was a driver, tho I don't think that would have made a difference. Anyone wanting to be able to go to work in their pajamas should definitely look into becoming a truck driver. You don't even need to speak English or know how to shift gears anymore. Any moron can do it, and there are plenty that are!

Shirt has thin blue stripes in it BTW, but 99.99 percent pink. Got it at Goodwill looks like it was never worn, I can't imagine why?

Last edited:

solus

uh, i must be a moron...my singular attempt at driving w/trailer, i was asked to immediately stop and quickly step away from the cab by the individual who assured me it was a piece of cake...i do believe he wet himself as i demonstrated my expert driving capability...and it wasn't my fault the brake took two feet to depress, and i didn't actually go 'toooooo far' off the side of the road, and i certainly didn't even begin to go to far up the earth berm on the side of the road. true story!

i was just glad he gave me a ride back to my vehicle...:banana: took him a couple of weeks to acknowledge my existence and it was only after several beers.

ipse

Last edited:

Wstar425

Just talked to a real nice lady at customer service at TA in Westlake, OH. She admitted that she did not know anything about firearm laws, nor would I expect her to know about New Mexico firearm laws. She typed up a report and said it would get to upper management and someone would contact me. So, we'll see, and I will post up if I find out anything.

Wstar425

I'm glad to see someone else with a Baby Eagle.

It's my truck gun, by default. It's the midsized polymer frame 9. Bought it for wife as her first semi, but the safety was too much to keep track of, as well as her hands are too small for the finger grooves, 3 and 4 tend to be on top of the ridge instead of in the groove. Coming from a Ruger SP101. She ended up with a Sig. 229 which is what I wanted her to like, but I got an extra gun out of the deal. Two complaints, DA trigger is way too long, SA trigger is pretty light. Cheaper and if it gets beat up in the truck, it won't bother me too much.

I don't open carry much out of my home state. This was my first really negative experience. At home I open carry a Sig 226 .40 but I just bought a 226 9mm SAO that will be there when I get home. If I ever get home.....should be home this evening late.

ron73440

It's my truck gun, by default. It's the midsized polymer frame 9. Bought it for wife as her first semi, but the safety was too much to keep track of, as well as her hands are too small for the finger grooves, 3 and 4 tend to be on top of the ridge instead of in the groove. Coming from a Ruger SP101. She ended up with a Sig. 229 which is what I wanted her to like, but I got an extra gun out of the deal. Two complaints, DA trigger is way too long, SA trigger is pretty light. Cheaper and if it gets beat up in the truck, it won't bother me too much.

I don't open carry much out of my home state. This was my first really negative experience. At home I open carry a Sig 226 .40 but I just bought a 226 9mm SAO that will be there when I get home. If I ever get home.....should be home this evening late.

I have the steel semi-compact .45 and love it, for the money I don't think you can do much better.

I agree about the trigger, but once I got used to it I don't notice at all.

I don't know if I would CC it (she is heavy), but in my F.I.S.T. leather OWB holster, I almost forget it's there.

Wstar425

The BDE is the only polymer gun I own. For some reason, I really like it. Maybe cause I started out on a 92F? The grooves fit my fingers perfectly. Not the most friendly firearm for finding holsters and such. It is WAY lighter than anything steel, but actually still has a nice heft to it.

I just got onto MultiHolsters and had them make a "Hipster" for my wife for her 229 with a laser. As soon as it arrived I ordered one for my 226. They say they will make a holster for any gun/light/laser combo so I'm sure they can do a BDE with no problem. Stuff is out there , you just have to look a little. That is an OWB holster but they make 8-10 different kinds. I have no attachment to the company other than they have some of my money!

I'm beginning to think it is true that you end up with a drawer full of holsters.

solus

do not go there, as i have to justify everytime i want to spend $$$ on yet another holster...sigh!!

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sure- IF you're CC'ing. Which the OP was not.

The guy asked him if he had a gun ... could have just said no. Guy did not say, at that time, that guns were not allowed, get out.

He did not have to answer his question nor answer it honestly. It could be a cig lighter for all the guy knew.

And what if he answered "are you a cop" with YES? Its not impersonation .. now what?

KBCraig

Thought I did my homework, what did miss?
The first thing you missed was finding out just exactly who you were dealing with, and if he had any authority. If "some guy, the cook I think" tells me anything other that my food will be right out, I'm not very interested in his opinion about what is or isn't allowed.

Good report, and good job going back to speak to the manager, and following up with corporate.

AH.74

The guy asked him if he had a gun ... could have just said no. Guy did not say, at that time, that guns were not allowed, get out.

He did not have to answer his question nor answer it honestly. It could be a cig lighter for all the guy knew.

He stated right up front that he was OC, and standing outside the front of the place.

He walked into the place, through the place and to the table where they sat. It is not unreasonable to consider that during all that time, the pistol on the belt was seen for what it was. Lying and giving a false statement, no matter to whom, is not the right thing to do under those circumstances.

The world did not end because he told the truth and complied with their requests. It was the right thing to do- again, under those circumstances. I would rather be told a story of a fellow OC'er telling the truth and doing the right thing as opposed to lying and possibly bringing about a more contentious situation upon himself.