Thread: Treat invaders like royalty, ex-NYPD tells Today Show.

Treat invaders like royalty, ex-NYPD tells Today Show.

Reporter Jeff Rossen spoke with Wallace Zeins, a retired NYPD detective and former hostage negotiator, about tips for thwarting home invasions. The segment never mentioned firearms. Instead, Mr. Zeins suggested homeowners keep a can of wasp spray and a set of car keys next to their bed.
    [ ... ]
    A third solution Mr. Zeins mentioned is to fully cooperate with the intruders and show them where all your valuables are. “You tell them exactly where it is. You want to get them out of there as quickly as you can,” he said. “Remember, treat them like royalty. On top of that, you don’t want to lie to them.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nvaders-royal/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

A NYPD dude is the last person I would approach regarding anything having to do with SD.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

"I keep my most precious possession in this drawer. Here, let ME get it out for you..."
    Han shot first.

Thwart or prevent...? I choose prevent, intercept, quash, or just avoiding being in those locations, having layered defense. Forget trying to thwart...these days the people that do this are ruthless and interested in there being no witnesses.

(ex)hostage negotiator has vested interest in keeping his clients active.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Who paid this "retired NYPD" detective to be interviewed and push the anti-gun agenda?

"Treat them like royalty"

French Revolution royalty?

Or....

Angry Royalty?

But of course the ex-cop was armed every day of his working life.

But hey - this is New York.

I keep wasp spray just for wasps. During a home invasion any tool available will be used to stop the threat. The hand gun on my hip and the two shotguns are handy too!

Why would anyone think that a new york LEO would tell anyone to defend themselves with a gun? new york LEOs do not believe the People should have them.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    Its possible that an intruder may have picked up some insects on the way to your house. So, shoot him first and then spray...better safe than sorry. Don't forget the double tap...could be a zombie.

“Remember, treat them like royalty..."

Well, that might not be as crazy as it sounds.

As a 1970's college student in Baltimore City, MD, I was on the way to a laundramat near 31st and Saint Paul Street late one evening. Out of the darkness at the intersection of 33rd and St Paul, a guy appears, flicks open a knife and demands money. Being that its Maryland, there was no chance of having any serious means of protection on my person, and I was probably too young anyway. And being that I was a stupid college student, I didn't think to run. He seemed tentative in his manner, so perhaps for that reason, I decided to ignore the knife and treat this guy as though he was my best friend. He wasn't expecting that. Looked him straight in the eyes and smiled. I joked with him a bit. Said I wish I had some money. Just put the last dime in the clothes dryer down the street. He said he had been beat up in what was termed at the time a "predominantly white, rough and tumble, blue collar neighborhood" not far away. I said something to the effect of, "Yikes, *I* don't even like going there." He thought it was a hoot that a white guy felt uncomfortable in a white neighborhood. He then asked what I was carrying in the small bag. In hindsight, it probably looked like a liquor bottle the way I was holding it. I said, "Peanut butter." He said, "Peanut butter! You s****ing me man?" So I pulled out the jar of Jiff peanut butter. He laughed again and said, "You pretty cool, for a white guy." He folded the knife and put it away and said, "I'll walk with you the laundramat so's nobody else f***s with you."

Well. Armed robber to my personal body guard in about a minute. Perhaps I should have pursued that career in sales. We walked the two blocks and probably spoke, but I've no recollection of what was said. He then went on his way and I never saw him again. Did I call police? Nope. Stupid college kid was happy to be collecting socks and underwear and not leaking vital stuff all over the street. Besides, I had little to tell police that would help them get this guy. Young black man in Baltimore with a switchblade doesn't narrow the suspect pool very much.

I was lucky in this event and its outcome. The bad guy wasn't a "hardened criminal". He wasn't a mean, bitter, uncaring, heartless, violent, drug addled thug, though he may well have become one. Somehow, I picked up on that in the first moments of the encounter and made good use of it. I screwed up numerous ways, not running when I could, being out at night when I should have known better, etc. Walking away from a potentially lethal encounter, however you did so, is a roaring success.

Fast forward to the present. When able, I prefer the comfort and security of a SIG P-229 in .357 SIG with two extended capacity magazines on the belt in addition to the 12 round mag in the gun. Six more loaded magazines in a bag in the car, and another gun, if things go bad and I'm close enough to reach them. (I've got two carjacking stories, too.)

However, if I was completely unarmed and defenseless and found myself in the same situation as that stupid college kid, I might well try the same thing again. While I'm smart enough to run and willing to fight, alas, my body isn't what it was in the early 1970's. Running isn't a viable option at all and fighting unarmed isn't much better. "Treat them like royalty" might be the best shot. Sometimes all you have left is your brain. May as well use it.
    Last edited by markand; 09-18-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Reporter Jeff Rossen spoke with Wallace Zeins, a retired NYPD detective and former hostage negotiator, about tips for thwarting home invasions. The segment never mentioned firearms. Instead, Mr. Zeins suggested homeowners keep a can of wasp spray and a set of car keys next to their bed.
    [ ... ]
    A third solution Mr. Zeins mentioned is to fully cooperate with the intruders and show them where all your valuables are. “You tell them exactly where it is. You want to get them out of there as quickly as you can,” he said. “Remember, treat them like royalty. On top of that, you don’t want to lie to them.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nvaders-royal/
    Odd that on national TV that Mr Zenis would urge people to commit a federal crime, well he was NYPD so they are used to commiting al sorts of crimes so I guess it's not that odd.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

"Welcome, your Royal Highne..." BAM!

So much for that homeowner's pleasantries, along with Zeins' advice. Fooey!

No, I think I'll stick with our Castle laws. Anyone entering my abode without my express permission will instantly be in my sights. If they do not do exactly as I say, they will be shot.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Would someone like to inform that guy that he just told the nation to commit a federal crine and a felony?

Using the wasp spray in a manner inconsistent with its labeling and using a poison on another human bieng...

Guess he's just following in VP Joe's footsteps there...
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....