• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC school parking lot

TaurusRanger

Interesting phone call from my son's principal this morning. It seems a handful of parents voiced concerns to the school about me carrying a firearm while dropping off and picking up my son. I explained to the principal that I do have a CPL and have broken no laws. I told her I carry for my own protection. She asked me not to carry at the school anymore. I told her I don't leave home without it. I reminded her why I carry. Then she asked me to leave it in the truck. I explained to her that I can't because my wife does not have a CPL. If I left it with her in the truck, she would be committing a felony. I'm not sure, but there could be charges for me too if I did this. I pretty much told her I would not disarm. Not that it really matters, but I have not had it inside the school, Just in the parking lot.

Raggs

Interesting phone call from my son's principal this morning. It seems a handful of parents voiced concerns to the school about me carrying a firearm while dropping off and picking up my son. I explained to the principal that I do have a CPL and have broken no laws. I told her I carry for my own protection. She asked me not to carry at the school anymore. I told her I don't leave home without it. I reminded her why I carry. Then she asked me to leave it in the truck. I explained to her that I can't because my wife does not have a CPL. If I left it with her in the truck, she would be committing a felony. I'm not sure, but there could be charges for me too if I did this. I pretty much told her I would not disarm. Not that it really matters, but I have not had it inside the school, Just in the parking lot.

This seemed to go well, hopefully it doesn't go south in the future, which it could.

FreeInAZ

This seemed to go well, hopefully it doesn't go south in the future, which it could.

Schools have no penalty in the law to Prevent them from making "policy" that violates law, so they do as they want.

This will not change until a organized effort is put forth to stop it. After all, we all know how well the no guns policy is working to stop school shootings, right? :(

TaurusRanger

Good news! At least for today, no one confronted me in person. No Contact with LEO. It went as well as any other day. I did record just in case. Since nothing happened, won't be posting that. It will be standard procedure though.

FreeInAZ

Scratch that last. Principal just called. Wants a sit down

Be prepared to be threatened & coerced, it's in their nature to do so. The real question is will your local police play along with them? Sadly, 99% of the time the answer is yes. Watch your 6 & start looking for good civil rights lawyer in your area that will take a gun case on. You most likely will receive a no trespass order from them. Then if you don't do as they want the spaghetti factory at CPD will start cranking bogus charges to sling at the court room walls to see what sticks?

Not trying to bring you down. Just seen this play out before and it never ends well for us.

:(

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I would not talk to her. She most likely will serve a trespass order with the LEO there. Just go about your business and let them play it out in the parking lot. Record everything. Have a witness. This could be bad. One guy was tresspassed and was denied seeing his kids graduation (although an agreement was made for that day, after the expense of an attorney was called in.). So be careful these schools are bastards.

FreeInAZ

I would not talk to her. She most likely will serve a trespass order with the LEO there. Just go about your business and let them play it out in the parking lot. Record everything. Have a witness. This could be bad. One guy was tresspassed and was denied seeing his kids graduation (although an agreement was made for that day, after the expense of an attorney was called in.). So be careful these schools are bastards.

^^^THIS! If they do screw with you, seek legal counsel immediately and DO NOT POST ANY VIDEO/AUDIO HERE or anywhere else until your lawyer ok's it.

You are one against a whole system. They have used your tax dollars to pay lawyers and others to devise multiple ways to strip you of your legal right to bear arms, even without saying its the gun they have the issue with.

ETA- they know the are wrong. However, they are betting most people won't or can't pursue legal action due to the cost. It is the old my wallet beats your rights routine!

To date they are 100% successful in their bluffs. We need to start raising a legal fund and fighting back! Or we will be pocket booked into slavery...

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Have faith and stay the course. Several years ago when I OCed into the school where my son was attending they had a very negative response. When they failed to intimidate, threaten and lie to me in an attempt to prevent me from carrying while on school property. They finally just gave up when they realized the police would not do anything (They were none too happy with me, especially after I quoted MCL 123.1102 to them) and his senior year was only a few weeks from ending . They figured after graduation they would be rid of me.

Kudos and thanks to you for helping to stand up to their illegal and unethical tactics. Also for teaching your children the importance of being a law abiding responsible patriot.

FreeInAZ

@Heavy - you were lucky, your PD followed the law. Most do not. The OP may not be so fortunate. I will pray he has a better experience than yours. :)

TaurusRanger

Met with the principal and the superintendent. Short version is the meeting only took about twenty minutes or so, and after realizing I knew the law and could not be intimidated by them, they folded. They did ask to see my CPL. I showed it to them, and it seemed to appease them. During the conversation, they used a lot of the common anti-gun arguments, which was answered with common sense answers. Each question they asked came more slowly than the previous. There was a fair amount of stuttering on their part at the end before they gave in. I was polite, but stern, while telling them I would not disarm to please a few irrationally scared parents, and that the best course of action would be to educate them, not threaten me. I continue carrying while dropping off and picking up my son from school, and, since the meeting, haven't had any problems. I do record just in case this is the 'calm before the storm' scenario. I hope we can call this a small win for second amendment advocacy.

As far as the recording, I am saving it for future reference, but will not post it on any public sites as it contains some personal information.

rightwinglibertarian

Met with the principal and the superintendent. Short version is the meeting only took about twenty minutes or so, and after realizing I knew the law and could not be intimidated by them, they folded. They did ask to see my CPL. I showed it to them, and it seemed to appease them. During the conversation, they used a lot of the common anti-gun arguments, which was answered with common sense answers. Each question they asked came more slowly than the previous. There was a fair amount of stuttering on their part at the end before they gave in. I was polite, but stern, while telling them I would not disarm to please a few irrationally scared parents, and that the best course of action would be to educate them, not threaten me. I continue carrying while dropping off and picking up my son from school, and, since the meeting, haven't had any problems. I do record just in case this is the 'calm before the storm' scenario. I hope we can call this a small win for second amendment advocacy.

As far as the recording, I am saving it for future reference, but will not post it on any public sites as it contains some personal information.

Well done! One more establishment has been put in it's place. Now we just need to get the powers that be that school carry is not only legal but in the case of public schools can't be prohibited. Sadly it will probably take a shooting to correct that. More senseless loss of life :banghead:

OneForAll

Good to hear Tex. (ha, I know you from college) Glad you didn't go through some of the other B.S. I have read happen to others on this site...