• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Been busy, but I made a flowchart regarding I-594 you may like to see or use

Tawnos

Great job....but my head hurts

Listening to Ralph Fascitelli outright lie on the TV stream about the contents of I-594 made mine hurt. I'm hoping that for most people, the amount of "no" things they have to answer, only to have them get to one where it's like "well, that's possible" and see "great, you just broke the law" is enough they don't even need the rest. The rest is there to show the level of complexity and the specificity of the affirmative defense exceptions to Section 3. E.g. "are you at a range?" followed by "is the firearm always kept there?" showing that it's not enough to just be at a range, but the firearm has to always be there.

acmariner99

If this mess does become law, I hope there is no will to enforce it or the courts strike it down as vague.

decklin

I just saved the link for the flow chart so I can show people the absurdity of this proposal.
Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

1911er

I watched the KOMO I594 town hall meeting and @ 12:15 into the show They showed the question I asked on Facebook About why if it is about simple background checks why is it 18 pages long and Ralph Fakeatelli said its not 18 pages the first six pages are definitions . Why do they need 6 pages of definitions if it is about simple background checks.

.45ACPaddy

The very fact that a flow chart about a law gives me a borderline migrane speaks volumes about how unnecessary it is.

Strike this thing down in the legislature and the courts, or it'll be struck down by other means.

Tawnos

I watched the KOMO I594 town hall meeting and @ 12:15 into the show They showed the question I asked on Facebook About why if it is about simple background checks why is it 18 pages long and Ralph Fakeatelli said its not 18 pages the first six pages are definitions . Why do they need 6 pages of definitions if it is about simple background checks.

Honest answer:
It's ~4.5 pages of definitions. The reason those are all in there is because the definitions are modifications of existing RCWs, rather than new sections, so the initiative must include the entirety of the existing statute and use underlines for new things and strikethrough for removed things.

The length of any particular initiative doesn't concern me. The content concerns me, and is what should be focused upon. What's truly disgusting about that town hall is the repeated claim by Mr. Fascitelli that the law only criminalizes attempts to circumvent the background check requirements, despite that claim being an outright fabrication. Other whoppers include "Oregon and California already have the exact same laws in place".

More "fun" in the initiative - the "licensed dealer" definition specifically defines a licensed dealer to be a person who is licensed under 18 USC 923 (a). Those of you with C&R FFLs? You're licensed under 18 USC 923 (b).

davidmcbeth

Banned
Now cops will leave guns on the ground just outside of schools. When some good citizen picks it up to bring it to the cops he won't have to worry .. they'll nab the criminal right away.

Sucker.