• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

~ 250 million non-military personnel were killed by governments last century

WalkingWolf

So self-control has no place in debates?

When presented with the temptation to ridicule someone deemed eccentric, people should lose all self-control and stop focusing on the ideas, and start ridiculing the opponent whom they deem eccentric?

You should look in the mirror while saying that...

WalkingWolf

Ok, I'll bite. Should we compare the amount of deaths in anarchy over the last 100 years as compared to government killings in the usa?

Let's so how that Stat matches up.

Don't get me wrong, I believe government has its issues, but it's gonna take more than one non-peer reviewed, non ethics board approved research review to convince me that rule of law in the us is more dangerous than complete anarchy.
There is a social system on any place on the planet where there is more than one person. And in social animals it is no different. Limited government is better than chaos, but we no longer have limited government. If there is a place with no government, no warlords, just the Garden of Eden I will donate to send the fruitcakes there.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If you don't like my style, then that's your problem. Keep worshiping the constitution that got us into this mess.

Actually, it's your problem, if you care a whit for persuasion.

If you do not, then it lends credence to others' assumptions about your status as an agent provocateur.

Last edited:

state hater

Banned
Ok, I'll bite. Should we compare the amount of deaths in anarchy over the last 100 years as compared to government killings in the usa?

Let's so how that Stat matches up.

Don't get me wrong, I believe government has its issues, but it's gonna take more than one non-peer reviewed, non ethics board approved research review to convince me that rule of law in the us is more dangerous than complete anarchy.

So you think that more than a quarter billion people have been killed because of statelessness in the twentieth century? :eek:

state hater

Banned
Actually, it's your problem, if you care a whit for persuasion.

If you do not, then it lends credence to others' assumptions about your status as an agent provocateur.

So I should cater to irrational people who think that an idea is incorrect if one of the people promoting said idea is deemed eccentric by them?

WalkingWolf

That's just it. My behavior is totally irrelevant. If you disagree with my position(s), then how I behave does not enter into the equation at all. You should argue my ideas on their own merits.

Your ideas is every man and woman for themselves, complete insanity. But there are a few places in the world that are like that. The US gov you hate so much will not stop you from going there.

state hater

Banned
Your ideas is every man and woman for themselves, complete insanity. But there are a few places in the world that are like that. The US gov you hate so much will not stop you from going there.

That's not what anarchy means.

It really is absurd that the hypothetical chaos and mayhem of statelessness is deemed to be worse than the actual chaos and mayhem of statism (among other things, in the form of hundreds of millions of butchered innocents, but hey, that doesn't mean anything when you can smugly hand-wave it away).

WalkingWolf

That's not what anarchy means.

It really is absurd that the hypothetical chaos and mayhem of statelessness is deemed to be worse than the actual chaos and mayhem of statism (among other things, in the form of hundreds of millions of butchered innocents, but hey, that doesn't mean anything when you can smugly hand-wave it away).

That is what no rules means, which you have not indicated anything less than no rules.

Last edited:

state hater

Banned
Please tell us then what rules you find acceptable, and the rules that you "think" the members of this board advocate? This is your chance to redeem yourself...

(1) non-aggression principle

(2) self-ownership

(3) Lockean homesteading

(4) contracts should be honored

I can't comment on what others think.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

(1) non-aggression principle

(2) self-ownership

(3) Lockean homesteading

(4) contracts should be honored

I can't comment on what others think.

Self ownership means I can do as I please, including breaking contracts, or taking lives when it suits me. The only way those will work is if you are a dictator, and you don't have the charisma for it.

How would you accomplish this, who would enforce it?

Last edited:

state hater

Banned
Self ownership means I can do as I please, including breaking contracts, or taking lives when it suits me. The only way those will work is if you are a dictator, and you don't have the charisma for it.

How would you accomplish this, who would enforce it?

Self-ownership does not allow for fraud or other aggression.