Thread: OC in PFLs

OC in PFZs

Since receiving my CPL a few months ago I've continued to OC like I have been for three years, except now I'm never without a pistol. Friday, I will be attending my brothers senior Homecoming football game. I know the law (MCL 28.4250 and MCL 750.237a) reads that in order to carry in a "criminal encoragement zone" you must be a CPL holder and be open carrying. I'm not asking about the laws. Instead, having yet to carry in a PFZ, I was wondering what experiences you all have had. Especially at schools or school sporting events.

Edit: In the title of the thread I meant PFZs not PFLs.
    Last edited by Redneck125; 09-16-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Carried at daughters soccer game. Principal and AD approached me and long story short said they would stop the game if I did not put my pistol in my vehicle. Later had a meeting with the Kelloggsville superintendent and some administrators and things just got worse.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

That's the type of situation I don't want to happen. You would think that they would have to accept that you're not breaking any laws and because it's legal let you be, especially if it's a public school.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Carried at daughters soccer game. Principal and AD approached me and long story short said they would stop the game if I did not put my pistol in my vehicle. Later had a meeting with the Kelloggsville superintendent and some administrators and things just got worse.
    Should have asked where can you park your vehicle, on the field?

I would not have moved an inch. Let them stop the game. And tell them that if they don't quit bothering you then you'll be a superfan and not miss any games.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-16-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Should have asked where can you park your vehicle, on the field?

I would not have moved an inch. Let them stop the game. And tell them that if they don't quit bothering you then you'll be a superfan and not miss any games.
    Exactly my thinking. You did no wrong so what's the big deal. Although if they stop the game you might not be liked so well by the rest of the parents. But I agree with davidmcbeth, always stand your ground.

What a great example this sets for the "children" schools say they are so worried about. Don't like the law, no problem, just make up BS policy, threaten and bully innocent people to enforce it, if that does not work, punish innocent people until they do what you want! A kindergarten kid would be kicked out of school for acting the way the school leaders are!

Talk about hypocrites!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck125 View Post
    Exactly my thinking. You did no wrong so what's the big deal. Although if they stop the game you might not be liked so well by the rest of the parents. But I agree with davidmcbeth, always stand your ground.
    If that happened, I'd explore bringing a libel case against the school (in addition to a civil rights lawsuit). Just another legal avenue. Cancelling games solely due to your presence would clearly be an effort to ostracize you, an intentional attempt to bring about irreparable harm to your reputation.

Has anyone had a lawyer draft a legal response (that you'd be willing to share) to any school district (i.e. warning that a civil rights lawsuit and/or libel case would be forthcoming)? Such a letter would be a great sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    What a great example this sets for the "children" schools say they are so worried about. Don't like the law, no problem, just make up BS policy, threaten and bully innocent people to enforce it, if that does not work, punish innocent people until they do what you want!
    Good point. Just one of the many issues with our "advanced" education system. Pushing opinionated views and beliefs on young kids.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Has anyone had a lawyer draft a legal response (that you'd be willing to share) to any school district (i.e. warning that a civil rights lawsuit and/or libel case would be forthcoming)? Such a letter would be a great sticky.
    I agree. I'd be very interested in reading that. And it would be really nice to have one as a sticky to refer to or even use if needed.

Tonight's the game. Got new batteries in my audio recorder and my video recorder is ready to go. I'll post later on how it goes.

Well I'm happy to say I have a very uneventful evening at the game. I walked to my seat, watched the game and walked out with no problems. But I'd be surprised if anyone besides the few who know me, actually noticed I was carrying. But that's also they way I expect it to be.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Quite right. Of all the childish, infantile responses. Stop the game indeed. What did the the (mis) administrators say?
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile