• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does an adult own himself/herself?

Does an adult own himself/herself?

• Total voters

state hater

Banned
I think that the answer to this question is "yes." It is a self-evident position, and the foundation of contemporary, anti-slavery morality. Unfortunately, while most people would profess this position, a large percentage of them happen to inconsistently apply it, by advocating taxation, malum prohibitum statutes, and government (a coercive monopoly that, by its very nature, does not respect self-ownership).

state hater

Banned
Even many theists profess the idea of self-ownership. Perhaps they mean it in the limited sense of no other human owning an adult, but they profess self-ownership nonetheless.

twoskinsonemanns

Unfortunately the answer is no. Though I wish it weren't so we all submit to the majority that tell us what to do, what not to do because they have the will and means to violently force us to live the way they choose. Thus a cop sees you not wearing your seat belt and declares you must pay the government for violating their rule about seat belts. If you do not pay they will kidnap and cage you. If you try to resist the kidnapping they will kill you. I'd like to see it change. Staying hopeful.
radicalnotion.jpeg

state hater

Banned
Unfortunately the answer is no. Though I wish it weren't so we all submit to the majority that tell us what to do, what not to do because they have the will and means to violently force us to live the way they choose. Thus a cop sees you not wearing your seat belt and declares you must pay the government for violating their rule about seat belts. If you do not pay they will kidnap and cage you. If you try to resist the kidnapping they will kill you. I'd like to see it change. Staying hopeful.
radicalnotion.jpeg

A slave may be violently held and forced to work against his or her will, but that doesn't nullify the fundamental illegitimacy of what the slave "owner" is doing.

twoskinsonemanns

A slave may be violently held and forced to work against his or her will, but that doesn't nullify the fundamental illegitimacy of what the slave "owner" is doing.

I agree it's wrong. And you can deny vehemently the legitimacy of owning a person. But if you're a slave then you don't own yourself.

countryclubjoe

If you have a DL or social security number or any Government issued piece of paper then in my opinion you do not COMPLETELY OWN YOURSELF.

My.02

Regards

CCJ

stealthyeliminator

Ownership in this context simply means rightful claim. Your inability to exercise complete control over yourself doesn't negate your ownership of yourself. Nor does my belief in God negate it in this context, I've been given this physical body.

twoskinsonemanns

Ownership in this context simply means rightful claim. Your inability to exercise complete control over yourself doesn't negate your ownership of yourself. Nor does my belief in God negate it in this context, I've been given this physical body.

The ability to exercise direct and complete direction and actions of yourself is the context.

hovercat

Complete control is only possible if one lives completely alone. Otherwise ownership of property and self is limited. Even if one is at the top of the food chain, one can only beat and abuse another to a certain point before you must worry that they will kill you in your sleep. At the point where you MUST take actions to cause or prevent the actions of others, you are not in complete control as you MUST do these things.

stealthyeliminator

Complete control is only possible if one lives completely alone. Otherwise ownership of property and self is limited. Even if one is at the top of the food chain, one can only beat and abuse another to a certain point before you must worry that they will kill you in your sleep. At the point where you MUST take actions to cause or prevent the actions of others, you are not in complete control as you MUST do these things.

You're confusing ownership with control. <-edited

This is simply guys... Who has a higher legitimate claim to your life or body than you? Nobody. You own yourself. <-added

If I break into your home, conk you in the head with a bat, and walk out with your TV I have exercised extensive control over all 3, but I have no ownership in any of the 3. <-added

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

What does living alone have to do with complete control of yourself?
I'm not talking about being outside of the influence of others. But the influence of others doesn't have to control you.
Also I disagree with the idea you are forced to act in self preservation and therefore do not have control. It's your choice whether or not to act to prevent the actions of others.

hovercat

If one chooses to associate with others, they must give up some control over their actions to maintain their choice of society. Yes, it is a choice. One can remove themselves by choice in a free society, while a slave cannot so choose.
One can refute that a slave can choose to 'live free or die'. Therefore, ultimately, is one a slave by choice?
You can relocate' when you see the smoke of another's campfire', or choose to allow others to have some control. We are ultimately slaves to our stomachs. Philosophy is tricky.