• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memphis School District

jrj_51

I suspect he was there for a couple reasons, mainly: 2. The principal called him to come see me as a concerned parent, hoping he would bring with him whatever clout she thought he had as County Prosecutor. Doesn't make a difference to me what he does for a living or who he works for, but nice try on their part.

He wanted to have a conversation and I felt I would have been doing myself a disservice by refusing simply because he has an office door with his name on it at the courthouse.

lol, you still trust them. how quaint. You'll learn.

Please note the bold text in the quote from my previous post. I am well aware he was there hoping to rattle my cage with his fancy County title. I'm sure he was the first person the principal called the first time I had to talk to her, too. I'm plenty savvy enough to know when the reindeer games have started. I could also tell by his body language and tone of voice that he really does believe all the BS rhetoric he was trying to shoot my way about gun free schools being safer, so, yeah, I believe he was there, in part, as a concerned parent and member of the community. He has also been a member of the community for DECADES vs my family moving here in March. I guess I should have just told him to get lost and been on my way. Then I could be known as the jerk with the gun that wouldn't even talk to Mike, and was quite rude, to boot(whether or not I would have actually been rude is irrelevant, small towns like to talk). Instead, I humored the man and heard him out, and I hope I have started projecting to the community that I am a reasonable, approachable, and articulate person. As much as I hate to admit it, I am now part of the Public Relations machine for Open Carry. That doesn't mean I trust him, or anyone else that works for the school, town, or county.

Let's be clear, on the schools part this is about CONTROL, not safety. Their issue is with a lowly commoner who knows the law & will not submit to their "wishes". My prediction - they will quietly trespass you. Then hope you don't have the $ to prove them wrong in court.

I truly hope the district proves me wrong. I'll take it even further and hope they issue a blanket statement to all in the district that the school honors and abides by ALL MI laws.

Insert impossible dream music here

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KufFjcWOUQ

I hope they prove you wrong, too. So far I haven't had any more problems, even though the Lego Team has added another weekly meeting to the schedule. I talked with another parent at the school the other day and word around town is most people were only interested until they realized it was legal, and now the talk has died down.

jrj_51

It's ironic that schools are both where the second amendment is taught, and fought against the hardest.

It's also ironic that these administrators and officials are harassing and bullying people "for the children", when the children that I interact with every week couldn't care less about my firearm if they tried.

jrj_51

It's been a few weeks, so I thought I'd give an update.

So far, so good. Lego Robotics twice a week after hours and parent teacher conferences last week. The principal hasn't said much more than "Hi." Hopefully this is the way it stays.