Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marathon County sheriff's captain accidentally shoots self

Marathon County sheriff's captain accidentally shoots self

Town of Mosinee, Wis. — A Marathon County sheriff's captain is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the hand at a police shooting range. Sheriff's department officials say Capt. Greg Bean was cleaning his handgun when the accident happened Tuesday in the Town of Mosinee.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wiscons...275355171.html

http://www.waow.com/story/26547096/2...arathon-county
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    At a police shooting range? They have cops running around as targets? We'll its Darwin's law churning away.

He should be fired as well as other cops who shoot "accidentally" as they show a gross disregard of safety rules. Not saying his 2nd amend rights are affected, just his employment.

I'm sure Taco Bell is hiring....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    At a police shooting range? They have cops running around as targets? We'll its Darwin's law churning away.

He should be fired as well as other cops who shoot "accidentally" as they show a gross disregard of safety rules. Not saying his 2nd amend rights are affected, just his employment.

I'm sure Taco Bell is hiring....
    How about re-training first after a demotion. No not Taco bell! I once had a colleague who loved Taco Bell but was lactose intolerant....loved sour cream enchiladas. Couldn't work under the fume hood in the lab after lunch. I don't like their food anyway. How about Arby's?

I have found that police management can be some of the most idiotic fire arm users out there.

For a lot of them it is just a symbol of their status. They train less and use all kinds of excuses not to train.

Not to say all of them but a large majority of police management for go tactical training once they obtain rank.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    How about re-training first after a demotion. No not Taco bell! I once had a colleague who loved Taco Bell but was lactose intolerant....loved sour cream enchiladas. Couldn't work under the fume hood in the lab after lunch. I don't like their food anyway. How about Arby's?
    No retraining .. discharging a weapon w/o control is too serious .. there are plenty of folks willing and able to do his job

How is this possible, Glock has a safe action trigger...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

You pull the trigger with a round in the chamber it is really simple.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    You pull the trigger with a round in the chamber it is really simple.
    And say "alakazaam alakaboom!!"...
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I have found that police management can be some of the most idiotic fire arm users out there.

For a lot of them it is just a symbol of their status. They train less and use all kinds of excuses not to train.

Not to say all of them but a large majority of police management for go tactical training once they obtain rank.
    One of the duties is to protect the gaol at all times. If he is shooting himself in the hand how is he going to protect the gaol? What kind of training ire the administrative deputies getting?

Hah! He shot himself "while cleaning"... Your bet is the safe one.

I tried talking guns with a Richmond, VA city cop the other day, but he replied, "I'm actually not a gun guy. I barely know how to clean this thing." He was carrying a Sig P229 .357 SIG and also wearing light body armor with cargo pants.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    OK, since no one else is saying it, I guess I will... Who the he!l cleans their handgun at the range? Do they really expect us to believe this line of BS?

Or do our "highly trained" LEOs shoot soooooooo many rounds during their qualification that accuracy could be affected, so they need to stop in the middle and clean their handguns before continuing the course of fire? Seriously?

Sorry, not buying that. But I guess they can't very well admit he had an ND without looking like a bunch of untrained clowns, huh?

ETA: I see Marshaul did put "while cleaning" in quotes, signifying similar skepticism... But he didn't come right out and call a spade a spade, so I will - I think they're lying to cover his a$$.
    Last edited by Have Gun - Will Carry; 09-24-2014 at 03:36 AM. Reason: wrong word
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

I am taught that the largest source of wear on a gun is improper cleaning. That a modern gun using modern ammunition may be better off not cleaned by an idiot.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Many times LEO firearms training has cleaning scheduled as part of the training.

Normally taken care of after a person has finished all of their shooting.

I know of another case where a person shot his little finger off at home while supposedly cleaning his Glock.

Rumor had it drinking was involved.

But as we know every one on the this board are highly trained experts with their weapons and are perfect.

Not double checking to see if it is unloaded and not pointing it in a safe direction when one pulls the trigger during the field stripping process of a Glock can hurt really bad.

A spilt second of forgetfulness, carelessness all come into play when these Unintentional discharges occur.

A good reminder to every one to be extra careful and safe when handling firearms.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 09-23-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Banned
    Hah! He shot himself "while cleaning"... Your bet is the safe one.
    I never had that happen .. I always look down the barrel of the gun first and shake it around, pound it on the ground, pull the trigger a few times, just to make sure its MT.

I never had that happen .. I always look down the barrel of the gun first and shake it around, pound it on the ground, pull the trigger a few times, just to make sure its MT.
    For the fellow idiots reading this, do not do this. It doesn't end well.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    For the fellow idiots reading this, do not do this. It doesn't end well.
    u mean your avatar is a photo of you ? nuk nuk nuk

u mean your avatar is a photo of you ? nuk nuk nuk

μολὼν λαβέ

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    Many times LEO firearms training has cleaning scheduled as part of the training.

Normally taken care of after a person has finished all of their shooting.
    Sure, I could accept this if he was a new recruit getting basic training in firearms handling. But what's the likelihood that a sheriff's Captain would be cleaning his pistol at the range too? (rhetorical question)

But as we know every one on the this board are highly trained experts with their weapons and are perfect.
    Not sure whether this was meant for me, but I never said I was perfect. Far from it. However, I'm also experienced enough to know that when I hear someone was shot "while cleaning their gun", there are only two possibilities - either they never learned basic firearm safety (or simply don't practice it), or they're lying to cover up a ND. Most likely, it's the latter.

A spilt second of forgetfulness, carelessness all come into play when these Unintentional discharges occur.

A good reminder to every one to be extra careful and safe when handling firearms.
    Agreed!
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

Safety is paramount!

Worst thing that's ever happened to me was when I was about 9 years old, I was shooting my Dad's old bolt action Ruger 10/22 at the hunt club. I was just plinking cans and paper plates nailed to trees. My Dad and little brother went off hiking into the woods at my 9 o' clock through some short pines to a hardwood bottom. Somehow they managed to follow the hardwood bottom far enough and lost their tracking a bit so that when they became visible again they were downrange and at my 10.5 o' clock. To me, it was a close call. To others, maybe not. I was sure I'd get into major trouble but I don't really remember Dad being mad. It was just a freak thing. That's the closest call for me. 19 years ago.

μολὼν λαβέ

Was it a Glock?

I can buy the ND was part of cleaning if it was a Glock. Seems there is more than one idiot that releases the striker on a Glock while there is still a bullet in the chamber.

This is a flaw in the Glock, not one that cannot be overcome with intelligence, but a flaw. Pulling the trigger to clean a gun is the most idiotic design, Gaston was either demented and sadistic, or he just was too goofy to think about the outcome.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I'm 45 miles from here and have not heard one word about it on any media source other than this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    I'm 45 miles from here and have not heard one word about it on any media source other than this place.
    It's not like police ND's are big news, if they were that would dominate all broadcasts. The cite posted was a reliable cite, IMO.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Trigger discipline, remove mag, open action and check breach, turn gun upside down and check magwell. Isn't that what you learn in kindergarten?

μολὼν λαβέ

I always use a pencil, after removing the mag, clearing the gun, and locking the slide back. I put the pencil in while I remove the mag and round from the cleaning area. Come back and visually inspect for the pencil against the breach. Can't screw up doing it this way.

I think what happens a lot of times the mag is not removed when they clear. Or they get in the habit of letting the slide go forward go away and then can't remember if they cleared it or not. Or think they did, then BOOM!

I really do not like the trigger pull type of take down, on any gun. I do everything I can to be safe, but then that only keeps me from shooting myself. It does not keep some idiot from shooting me negligently. Fortunately I live in the country so it is not likely to happen. IMO Glocks in the hands of other people are unsafe.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast