• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can anyone answer this question...?

tleonard55

My CC instructor tried to say the same thing (can't own a handgun until you're 21). Then again, he also spent a couple of minutes belittling OC. Thing is, that's not what the law says.

Yes, there are a few states where you actually have to be 21 to legally buy a handgun (Ohio being one of them, for instance, although interestingly if you're a resident of another state that allows private sales and buy one while being age 18-20, you can then move to OH and still legally own it). This is also by default true in many (all?) states that completely ban private sales of handguns. However, most states including Tennessee follow the Federal rules. The Federal rules say that a person age 18-20 (1) cannot buy a handgun from a Federally licensed dealer, and (2) cannot buy ammunition "intended for a handgun" from a licensed retail establishment. A person age 18-20 may however legally buy a handgun and handgun ammunition from a private seller, have these items gifted to him/her, and legally own it.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. None of the above information is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no legal liability for any actions that any person may or make not take based on this information. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction.

Thanks man I appreciate the help alot. I have read over the law plenty of times and I am almost absolutely certain I am well within the law in keeping my handgun inside of my vehicle. Hopefully there wont be any further issues with it until I turn 21 then I can get my CC and OC permits. The police in carter county don't really seem all that smart anyways. I stopped by the Bluff City police department and we talked for about an hour and they made a few phone calls and they ended up telling me I should be okay but that they aren't giving me permission to do it. I believe next time im not even going to tell the officer I have a weapon in my vehicle since it is not a legal requirement,I was simply doing it to be generous and show him that I am no threat to his safety.

If they do arrest me for it then I would possibly have a good lawsuit on my hands,but I would rather just not be arrested.

RickTN

State Researcher
Ok, in Tennessee you have to be 18 to legally purchase a weapon. You must be 21 to get a Handgun Carry Permit (I wish people would stop calling it a Concealed Carry permit or CCW. It is neither.) If you legally posses the weapon then you can have it in your possession in your vehicle without a permit.
It is a disgrace that police officers who are sworn to uphold the law do not know them. When the officer told you that you could not be in possession of your weapon,at that time he told you, erroneously, what the law was.

cjohnson44546

does this new law about having a gun in a car or truck without permit in tennessee work for non residents too? i live in kentucky, thanks.

I'd assume so.. the way I read the law is.. it says if its a legally operated private vehicle, and you can legally own the gun... then you can have it loaded and ready for use in your vehicle. I never saw anything about being a resident of TN.

SovereignAxe

Protip-and let this be your first lesson: do not seek legal advice from the police. They are not obligated to know the law, and they are under no obligation to tell the truth even if they do, and under no obligation to go find it for you if they don't know it. They can even tell you a boldface lie just to get you to go away, and face no repercussions for it.