• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coyotes in Kentucky

Sir Diealotz

Coyotes in my area are getting brave. My folks who live just down the road have seen several and then this morning the wife yells "Coyotes!" as she walked out the door. I was getting dressed so I didn't have my side arm on me at that time, so I grabbed it off the night stand and headed out side. By that time, they were too far away.

Taking the rifle with me this evening when I get home and go for a walk around the property (48 acres)

Any of you guys/gals in rural areas seeing much coyote activity?

Midwest

I have seen several single sightings around Boone County, including one crossing the road right near the airport.

What area of Kentucky are you at?

Last edited:

bunnspecial

My house here in Central KY backs up to a cattle farm, and we see them out in the field all the time.

I have a blanket permission slip from the farmer to shoot them, but have not done so as there's a neighborhood on the other side of the hill and I'm afraid of where a bad shot would go. If it weren't for this concern, I'd have a great excuse to buy a 22-250!

As it is, were I to go coyote hunting in the back yard, I'd probably use my 357 magnum lever gun.

boomer92266

I live in monroe county in a little place called bugtussle. i see coyote's just about everyday and here them every night. when i'm out hunting i see them on almost every outing, on my place unless they act aggressive which they have a few times for some reason i will leave them be unless i'm actually hunting them . i don't want to mess up a turkey or deer hunt shooting a coyote, but a few have spotted me and then turned toward me with aggressive stance and growls, they were put down quickly. on another farm near me i shoot all i see as the owner has a rule, i can hunt anything anytime, but just kill a coyote if i see one. he's had trouble with calves getting killed.

Sir Diealotz

Im in Anderson county. We have seen them in pairs only so far and from what I've researched, it may be the same pair due to territorial domains.

Sent 30 rounds through my AR-15 yesterday afternoon/evening to make sure the iron sights were in. Now to double check my scoped AR-10 for the long range opportunities. I have quite a few back drops so anything I fire won't get away. Time to hunt some coyotes...

Last edited:

OC for ME

I know that this applies to MO, but:
Control - The Wildlife Code of Missouri classifies the coyote as a furbearer and game mammal that may be taken during prescribed hunting and trapping seasons. See current regulations for details. The Code also specifies that you may shoot or trap damage-causing coyotes out-of-season without a permit. Refer to 3 CSR 10-4.130 Owner May Protect Property; Public Safety of the Code for details and restrictions.
Also, for SC:
Hunting/Shooting -

• No closed season on private lands
  • No hunting license or permit is required to shoot coyotes on your property within 100 yards of your home*
  • Electronic calls are permitted
  • Night hunting is permitted with weapon restrictions

*Check local laws and firearms ordinances.
Check the game warden web site.

bunnspecial

Just as a CYA precaution, I'd suggest reading the KYDFW page on Coyotes before going out

http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Coyotes.aspx

The high points to remember(at least from my reading) are

1. You must have a valid KY Hunting License, although no specific Coyote license is required and there is no bag limit.

2. Hunting is only permitted in daylight hours

3. Any rimfire or centerfire rifle can be used, with no restrictions on magazine capacity. The only limitation that you can't use a full-auto rifle.

4. Shotguns must be no larger than 10 gauge, and are limited to 1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine(i.e. be sure you have your magazine plugged). All sizes of shot, as well as slugs, are legal.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, as an encounter with a conservation officer can really mess up your day!

Sir Diealotz

Coytoes have already eaten one of the folks family pets and tried to get one of mine. I don't care about any hunting license, if I see one on my property it's getting ventilated.

And yes I've already researched KY Coyotes but thanks for the information (For anyone else that does not know).

Edit: Perhaps the page you posted needs to be updated? Correct me if I'm wrong, but night hunting is now OK from what I was reading somewhere.

Found it

http://surfky.com/index.php/obituar...s-state-night-hunting-for-coyotes-now-allowed

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Coytoes have already eaten one of the folks family pets and tried to get one of mine. I don't care about any hunting license, if I see one on my property it's getting ventilated.
<snip>

Me too for critters I don't like .... and I do it ... I shot a vole a few days ago ... people complain? So what, its legal in my state, and the cops know better than to knock on my door.

Have you seen the story of the lady who took in "a hungry half staved dog"? It was a coyote ... lol

Here's a hunting license...duly issued by me:

****Sir Diealotz may shoot any critters Sir Diazlotz wishes to shoot on his land; this permit never expires. Any questions call 1-800-328-7448; all hail Sir Diealotz********* Permit Issued by God

Primus

Me too for critters I don't like .... and I do it ... I shot a vole a few days ago ... people complain? So what, its legal in my state, and the cops know better than to knock on my door.

Have you seen the story of the lady who took in "a hungry half staved dog"? It was a coyote ... lol

Here's a hunting license...duly issued by me:

****Sir Diealotz may shoot any critters Sir Diazlotz wishes to shoot on his land; this permit never expires. Any questions call 1-800-328-7448; all hail Sir Diealotz********* Permit Issued by God
What the hell is a vole? Is that like a German mole?

ps1mhd

:D
What the hell is a vole? Is that like a German mole?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vole

Bank vole.jpg
The bank vole (Myodes glareolus) lives in woodland areas in Europe and Asia.

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Rodentia
Family: Cricetidae
Subfamily: Arvicolinae
in part

Genera

See text.

A vole is a small rodent resembling a mouse but with a stouter body, a shorter, hairy tail, a slightly rounder head, smaller ears and eyes, and differently formed molars (high-crowned and with angular cusps instead of low-crowned and with rounded cusps). There are approximately 155 species of voles. They are sometimes known as meadow mice or field mice in North America. Vole species form the subfamily Arvicolinae with the lemmings and the muskrats.:lol:

Mike

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So, he shot a field mouse!!! and posted it on OCDO!!!!:eek::confused::banghead::exclaim::exclaim::exclaim:

Almost as bad as someone I know shooting groundhogs with a 7mm rem mag - he says a flash of red and they are gone :uhoh:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Almost as bad as someone I know shooting groundhogs with a 7mm rem mag - he says a flash of red and they are gone :uhoh:

http://sirwilliampesteliminator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/VoleTrailsScott1Web.jpg

^^^ what voles can do to your lawn .. eeek!

Hey, I didn't shoot all the golfers !

One can shoot rodents and varmints and whatnot ... relevant to thread ...

All the voles around my neighborhood ... call me Ol' Deadeye !

30+ years of shooting experience ... 1 shot, 1 dead vole. Well worth the 30,000 dollars of ammo use !

The only other animal I shoot is while hunting ... cows. They are a crafty creature. But their meat tastes great !

Sir Diealotz

Update:

Coyotes grabbed my folks little dog a few weeks ago. She didn't survive.

The recent snow has allowed me to track where they are entering and exiting the property. Not where I thought it would be however I now have a better idea where I can set up. Going to put out some "Bait" this weekend. Wish me luck...

Kopis

Coyotes are getting out of control everywhere. I dont know why. My dad's farm used to have tons of rabbits and quail. You would always see possum, armadillos etc too out at night but now there's just coyotes and skunks. It's so annoying when some PETA person is crying about the coyotes that are killed.

rscottie

Update:

Coyotes grabbed my folks little dog a few weeks ago. She didn't survive.

The recent snow has allowed me to track where they are entering and exiting the property. Not where I thought it would be however I now have a better idea where I can set up. Going to put out some "Bait" this weekend. Wish me luck...

My dog and I heard them "yipping" the other night when I took her outside to use the restroom. Their yipping makes her nervous and she hurries to finish and come back in.

I keep my .357 at the ready but have not seen one enter my yard from the woods but feel like they are watching.

Coyotes have killed a bunch of cats and a few dogs around here in that last year or two. They are sneaky and seem to know how to get in and get their victim and get out quickly. I hope that if they come in my yard that I am able to hit them on the move.

Sir Diealotz

My dog and I heard them "yipping" the other night when I took her outside to use the restroom. Their yipping makes her nervous and she hurries to finish and come back in.

I keep my .357 at the ready but have not seen one enter my yard from the woods but feel like they are watching.

Coyotes have killed a bunch of cats and a few dogs around here in that last year or two. They are sneaky and seem to know how to get in and get their victim and get out quickly. I hope that if they come in my yard that I am able to hit them on the move.

According to what I have researched; Coyotes know where you are long before you have any idea where they are at any give time. Unless they are brave and/or stupid, they will not approach you willingly. Just like Wile E. Coyote, Genius :lol: