Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Milwaukee to pay $1.2 Million to man shot in police "home invasion."

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    Milwaukee to pay $1.2 Million to man shot in police "home invasion."

    Betker was injured by police gunfire and suffered permanent disability, including the loss of a finger, in the August 2006 incident. Betker and his wife, Sharon, sued the city in federal court in 2008, claiming police violated their constitutional rights, specifically the fourth amendment's prohibition against unreasonable searches and seizures. The couple's attorney called it a home invasion.
    [ ... ]
    The officer in the incident, Detective Rodolfo Gomez Jr., got a tip in August 2006 about illegal weapons in the Betker home. The police then decided to look for a gun because Sharon Betker had a 1982 felony conviction for credit card fraud. The Betkers were asleep when the SWAT team smashed both doors and a front window after 10 p.m. the day of the forced entry. When Richard Betker heard the noise, he grabbed his legally owned gun and shouted to ask who was there.

    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...275498631.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Betker was injured by police gunfire and suffered permanent disability, including the loss of a finger, in the August 2006 incident. Betker and his wife, Sharon, sued the city in federal court in 2008, claiming police violated their constitutional rights, specifically the fourth amendment's prohibition against unreasonable searches and seizures. The couple's attorney called it a home invasion.
    [ ... ]
    The officer in the incident, Detective Rodolfo Gomez Jr., got a tip in August 2006 about illegal weapons in the Betker home. The police then decided to look for a gun because Sharon Betker had a 1982 felony conviction for credit card fraud. The Betkers were asleep when the SWAT team smashed both doors and a front window after 10 p.m. the day of the forced entry. When Richard Betker heard the noise, he grabbed his legally owned gun and shouted to ask who was there.

    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...275498631.html

    Police shot him in the shoulder and hand after he extended his gun out a doorway to show who he thought were intruders that he was armed, and ready to defend himself.
    That was dumb. You don't give warnings when someone breaks into your home like that. Maybe on the street you can reveal a CCd weapon or turn your strong side towards a potential threat but not when someone comes crashing into your home. The article doesn't state if the police announced themselves or not either. If they did and had a warrant then of course disregard this post.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Glad he lived through it, the cop was fired seven years later (should have been prosecuted), and he is being somewhat compensated eight years later.

    Police shot him in the shoulder and hand after he extended his gun out a doorway to show who he thought were intruders that he was armed, and ready to defend himself.
    I hope he learned better tactics, though.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-17-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    That was dumb. You don't give warnings when someone breaks into your home like that. Maybe on the street you can reveal a CCd weapon or turn your strong side towards a potential threat but not when someone comes crashing into your home. The article doesn't state if the police announced themselves or not either. If they did and had a warrant then of course disregard this post.
    They didn't prior to entry. It was a no knock. But after they made entry they most likely were yelling police.

    They did have a warrant for this type of entry.

    The problem is the idiot detective lied on the affidavit to make it seem as if there was "criminal enterprise" going on to justify the night time no knock. Idiot. That's why there was a pay out. The search/entry was bad because it was based on bad info.

    Either the facts are there or they aren't. No need to lie about it.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    They didn't prior to entry. It was a no knock. But after they made entry they most likely were yelling police.

    They did have a warrant for this type of entry.

    The problem is the idiot detective lied on the affidavit to make it seem as if there was "criminal enterprise" going on to justify the night time no knock. Idiot. That's why there was a pay out. The search/entry was bad because it was based on bad info.

    Either the facts are there or they aren't. No need to lie about it.
    No, the problem is that cops are willing and even eager to execute (in every sense of the word) home invasions based on flimsy or even non-existent evidence.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    One month before the federal jury decision, he was charged in October with felony misconduct in public office on allegations of beating a handcuffed suspect in a homicide investigation.
    I'm confident that this POS cops' antics were know to his peers prior to the home invasion. It is virtually impossible to not know of his unlawful acts. History proves none of his peers would do a damn thing about him until there was no choice but to toss him under the bus.

    Freaking typical, ruin a citizens life and fight tooth and nail to not be held accountable. Any LEA is loath to hold themselves to account and citizens must get the feds (really a jury, not the feds) to gain redress. That LEA again shows its true colors as a corrupt agency being supported by a corrupt city. 1.2 mill was far too lenient. basically got off scott free.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  7. #7
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Duuuhhhhggg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_photo-6514.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	12045  

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Duuuhhhhggg
    That city is a war zone! Either cops shot people accidentally or nincompoops are shooting at each other and the strays are killing the innocents. Numbers were shot this last weekend. Moral decay is a big factor in these shootings.

  9. #9
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    That city is a war zone! Either cops shot people accidentally or nincompoops are shooting at each other and the strays are killing the innocents. Numbers were shot this last weekend. Moral decay is a big factor in these shootings.
    Indeed it is! Blame the entitlement society. Gimme food stamps! Gimme rent assistance! Gimme free childcare! Gimme heat assistance! Gimme free contraception! Gimme yo wallet!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Only 1.2 mil ? That's .. chicken feed to a big city like that ~ it will not be enough to change anything ..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •