• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No firearms allowed

RogueWarrior

OK GUys and Gals

Went to costco today with the misses I looked for the no firearms sign ( no really hard ). Her being the sticker for the law :eek: saw the sign on both sides on the entrerance it was at about 7 foot high. If I carried into there :lol: would I get into trouble :eek:

cjohnson44546

OK GUys and Gals

Went to costco today with the misses I looked for the no firearms sign ( no really hard ). Her being the sticker for the law :eek: saw the sign on both sides on the entrerance it was at about 7 foot high. If I carried into there :lol: would I get into trouble :eek:

from what I read... they can put up signs to legally stop someone from conceal carrying. This means if you carry in there, you could be arrested for trespass, because the signs serve as notice.

Its completely stupid, but seems to be the law.

F350

Costco has always been, is and probably always will be anti-gun, anti-second amendment and anti-freedom. it is in their membership rules, I will never be a member!

AH.74

from what I read... they can put up signs to legally stop someone from conceal carrying. This means if you carry in there, you could be arrested for trespass, because the signs serve as notice.

This is mostly correct- but to clarify, what it means is that you have violated the posting notice. If your concealment fails and someone "makes" you and asks you to leave and you refuse, you can then be arrested and charged with trespass. If you leave immediately you will usually be fine as you are complying with their request to leave the establishment.

But if concealed is concealed and no one is the wiser...

cjohnson44546

Costco has always been, is and probably always will be anti-gun, anti-second amendment and anti-freedom. it is in their membership rules, I will never be a member!

It is not in the membership rules at all. Its a hidden company policy that is told to no one unless the need arises.

This is mostly correct- but to clarify, what it means is that you have violated the posting notice. If your concealment fails and someone "makes" you and asks you to leave and you refuse, you can then be arrested and charged with trespass. If you leave immediately you will usually be fine as you are complying with their request to leave the establishment.

But if concealed is concealed and no one is the wiser...

In NM, the signs to have force of law. They do serve as notice. You can be charged for entering even if no one ever directly asked you to leave.

AH.74

In NM, the signs to have force of law. They do serve as notice. You can be charged for entering even if no one ever directly asked you to leave.

I have gone and re-read the statutes- although they are not exactly clear and do specify "remaining", you are correct.

I do find it unlikely that someone would actually end up being arrested and charged, as opposed to being requested to leave.

Last edited:

cjohnson44546

From what I recall, the trespass statutes seem to indicate otherwise. And in the CC act and other gun-related statutes, there is no direct consequence other than the same for trespass- again from what I recall. I will have to go and re-read them, but I believe I had a decent grasp of them.

Since the law clearly states that signs can prohibit people from carrying on private property, this means you have already broken the law by doing so, even without a verbal warning, or being asked to leave. That does not mean you will be charged, just that you can be.

Check out sections 10.8.2.16 F and 10.8.2.27
http://www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/nmac/parts/title10/10.008.0002.htm

It is possible that signs do not carry force of law for open carry... just for concealed carry... I am not sure.

Last edited:

FattyKrack

I completely understand this is OCDO and we are talking about concealed carry here in the thread (for the most part), but if anyone sees a bulge on any part of me anywhere, am I obliged to comply to their questions? Are we at fault for for not answering or even lying? Is it anyone else's business at all what is in my waistband, or the contents of my wallet?
I guess shoplifting comes to mind in this case.. But I am left with no answers..
Carry as it suits you.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I don't know about answering questions, or even lying. Years ago, cops weren't allowed to lie, but that was then. NOW they sure can. So are we mere citizens not allowed to follow their "law-abiding" example? I mean, we can use the "Biden Defense" when we shoot at people with a shotgun, yes? So why not use weasel-words or be evasive like cops do -- or even flat-out lie?

If you want to have a gun on you and must CC in some particular place (OC isn't "appropriate") then consider an ankle holster. Yes, it may be the one of the slowest places to access a gun in a hurry (although your situational-awareness SHOULD give you enough lead time), but at least it's ON you, and LOTS faster than running back to the car or home to get it.

You can carry a fairly large gun in the ankle position (largest for me was a compact 9mm, but a S&W M60 Chief's Special fits nicely also), especially if you're wearing boot-cut jeans. And, hardly anyone looks for any "bulges" at your feet...even IF they are looking, it's almost always around your waist area.

Personally, however, I don't go to malls (even here in CO) as all I know of are posted...and I haven't had to CC once here in CO.

Now when I visit TX, however, CC is the ONLY way I can carry. :-(

Last edited:

Phoenix David

but if anyone sees a bulge on any part of me anywhere, am I obliged to comply to their questions?

Not talking about police questions but for anyone else none of their damn business.

Are we at fault for for not answering or even lying?

You have no obligation to answer anyone's question

Is it anyone else's business at all what is in my waistband or the contents of my wallet?

Nope again none of their damn business

I guess shoplifting comes to mind in this case.

If you haven't stolen anything they can bugger off, let them call the real police, generally I think they are cautious as they are opening themselves up for liability if they accost someone who hasn't done anything.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It is not in the membership rules at all. Its a hidden company policy that is told to no one unless the need arises.

Signs on private property ? I could see this because you know that you are not specifically invited.

On businesses that actively ask the public to enter their property, market for people to enter, then why should the signs have any meaning? It requires effort to look for the signs, so if you forget to look then this should result in a crime? I don't understand how not doing anything like finding a sign can be a crime. All should call their representatives and tell them that just missing a sign should not be grounds to spend a year in jail ~ the idea the gun owners, by being gun owners, have an extra special effort requirement than others. I never have heard that the no-shirt/no-shoes/no service signs can result in an immediate trespass conviction.

Last edited:

hoghead006

The best answer to the question would be for you to look up an read ur state open carry laws because it changes from state to state.

Wstar425

The best answer to the question would be for you to look up an read ur state open carry laws because it changes from state to state.

THAT is the TRUTH!!

Wisconsin, open carry is legal by default until you are proven to be illegal. With a few exceptions. Minnesota and Indiana, two places I go a lot, carrying a handgun of any kind in any manner is illegal unless you have a permit/license. Thus, you have to prove your "right", and I use that term loosely, very loosely, to have one on you. With a few exceptions.

It's the exceptions that get you in trouble.........

New Mexico is a no permit/open carry state. With a few exceptions. Indian reservations, places that sell alcohol, etc. You can keep track of a couple of states, but trying staying current on 15-20 at one time, it is nearly impossible.

As far as answering questions go. To some extent you don't know what direction the questioning is going until it starts. Sometimes, you DO know it is going to be a grilling by some wannabee authority, but it could also be someone asking about it for legitimate reasons. Being a jerk right off the bat doesn't seem to me like the best way to handle it. Granted, some situations that may be the correct way to handle it, but it seems like if you start off with that premise, then you are going to be for sure turning some people off that might be asking because they are interested, or even thinking about carrying themselves. Use a little tack I suppose? Once in a while you get caught with the wrong card in your hand, but are you going to make every confrontation a negative one, just to make sure you don't mess up the one negative one you have every so often?

Last edited: