Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Heard over IMPD scanner

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Asheville, NC ,
    Posts
    81

    Heard over IMPD scanner

    Was listening to IMPD on broadcastify. They had a call (Paraphrased):

    Dispatcher: "Black male w/ a gun. Need officer to check him out."

    Officer: "What's he doing?"

    Dispatcher: "Sitting on a porch step."

    Officer: "Is he pointing the gun at someone?"

    Dispatcher: "No, it's in a holster on his belt."

    Officer: "That's not illegal. You can cancel that."

    Dispatcher: "10-4. Cancelling call."

    And dat, folks, is the Way It Should Be Done.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Wow. Though that's the conversation Dispatch should have had with the caller instead of wasting the officer's time on the radio. But still, that just blows a huge hole in the oft-repeated blue power-trip line: "If we get called, we have to go..."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Of course they don't have to go...it's just that some of them are power hungry beta humans who hope and pray they get that very call from dispatch so that they can troll people under color of law.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  4. #4
    Regular Member fjpro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    300

    Excellent!!

    Boy, I would like to hear that about 10,000 times. Then, I would say we are making progress. Short and sweet!

  5. #5
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by WNCTarheel View Post
    Was listening to IMPD on broadcastify. They had a call (Paraphrased):

    Dispatcher: "Black male w/ a gun. Need officer to check him out."

    Officer: "What's he doing?"

    Dispatcher: "Sitting on a porch step."

    Officer: "Is he pointing the gun at someone?"

    Dispatcher: "No, it's in a holster on his belt."

    Officer: "That's not illegal. You can cancel that."

    Dispatcher: "10-4. Cancelling call."

    And dat, folks, is the Way It Should Be Done.

    YES!! About time you had an LEO with a brain inside his head
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    But still, that just blows a huge hole in the oft-repeated blue power-trip line: "If we get called, we have to go..."
    Agreed, but that policy is probably not universal. It may, in fact, be required in some jurisdictions to investigate all 911 calls in some areas. I don't have any specifics to back me up; just saying that a single call like this does not mean that it invalidates the excuse in nearly 18,000 agencies across the nation.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    Agreed, but that policy is probably not universal. It may, in fact, be required in some jurisdictions to investigate all 911 calls in some areas. I don't have any specifics to back me up; just saying that a single call like this does not mean that it invalidates the excuse in nearly 18,000 agencies across the nation.
    Agreed, but I'm not arguing department policies, just simple logic.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Dispatch: "Negative, we're not cancelling. Report to scene"
    Officer: "Dispatch, arrived on-scene, found individual on porch with holstered pistol. Back in service."
    Dispatch: "Did you investigate?"
    Officer: "Affirmative. Found one individual on his porch with a holstered pistol, the report was correct. Back in service."
    Dispatch: "What did you do about it?"
    Officer: "I told him I wished I had one that nice. Back in service, Dispatch."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    Agreed, but that policy is probably not universal. It may, in fact, be required in some jurisdictions to investigate all 911 calls in some areas. I don't have any specifics to back me up; just saying that a single call like this does not mean that it invalidates the excuse in nearly 18,000 agencies across the nation.
    I really doubt the police department has a policy to investigate every call. The lawsuits would start flying. When they get busy, they just don't come. They have no legal duty to go to any emergency call at all, and sometimes they will stop responding if manpower restrictions mean they can't. They don't have to even answer the phone of "911". In California , their was a time on the busy nights that 50 % of the time you called LAPD, the phone just rang busy. I remember watching a armed robbery 30 feet way from my apartment. I called LAPD 5 times and just got a busy signal in the two minutes. I had my gun pointed out my window at the robber, and finally scared him away before the (drunk) person he was robbing,and not cooperating, got hurt.

    Remember the saying among policeman. "don't worry, when the end of your life could be seconds away from a criminal action, we will get there within 10 minutes".

  10. #10
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    "Thirty minutes or less, or the chalk outline's free. That's our guarantee."

  11. #11
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    "Thirty minutes or less, or the chalk outline's free. That's our guarantee."
    We need a coffee spitting onto the keyboard emoticon! And you owe me a keyboard!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  12. #12
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Dispatch: "Negative, we're not cancelling. Report to scene"
    Officer: "Dispatch, arrived on-scene, found individual on porch with holstered pistol. Back in service."
    Dispatch: "Did you investigate?"
    Officer: "Affirmative. Found one individual on his porch with a holstered pistol, the report was correct. Back in service."
    Dispatch: "What did you do about it?"
    Officer: "I told him I wished I had one that nice. Back in service, Dispatch."
    This is more accurate...
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  13. #13
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    This is more accurate...
    +1 ... unfortunately
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern KY
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    This is more accurate...
    Really? So where you work, dispatch pushes you around? I find that hard to believe, but there are all kinds of policies out there.

    Some areas DO have policies that all calls get a dispatch if caller insists. In my experience officer grumble about being dispatched even though the officer can then cancel the call. Those calls could probably be best handled by the officer showing up at the complainant's house and having a little chat with him/her. Truth is, there are MANY calls that shouldn't be made to the Police/Fire Department. Chances are, if you call more than once or twice a year (if that), you should probably move and/or you are making some calls that really aren't Police/Fire worthy.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by willy1094 View Post
    Really? So where you work, dispatch pushes you around? I find that hard to believe, but there are all kinds of policies out there.

    Some areas DO have policies that all calls get a dispatch if caller insists. In my experience officer grumble about being dispatched even though the officer can then cancel the call. Those calls could probably be best handled by the officer showing up at the complainant's house and having a little chat with him/her. Truth is, there are MANY calls that shouldn't be made to the Police/Fire Department. Chances are, if you call more than once or twice a year (if that), you should probably move and/or you are making some calls that really aren't Police/Fire worthy.
    Dispatch doesn't. The Sgt who runs comms does. You tell a dispatcher (civilian) to get screwed and you get written up by Sgt in there. So you "go" where they tell you. Period.

    Notice the "" around go? That's intentional. Do guys simply drive by and clear the call? Yes. Do guys not bothr even driving by and clear the call? Yes. But when you "go" to the call and clear it as if you were "there" and s***** hits the fan...... Its your a** on the line. That simple.

    So you either go to the call or you don't and it's on you.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  16. #16
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    GPS is hella cheap these days.

    Say it's for "officer safety" and when Officer Friendly says he's at 1st and Main clearing a call when he's really at 66th and Ivanhoe isn't going to fly. At the very least he's made a false official statement.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Plausible deniability works both ways. The top cops WANT to be able to be ignorant. There's liability if you aren't.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  18. #18
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    GPS is hella cheap these days.

    Say it's for "officer safety" and when Officer Friendly says he's at 1st and Main clearing a call when he's really at 66th and Ivanhoe isn't going to fly. At the very least he's made a false official statement.
    GPS is used by some departments for this reason.

    But what your saying would force officers into MORE interactions over dumb things.

    The neighbors call 6 times because they don't like the open carry group outside.... Well I guess officer friendly will be driving by 6 times and waving since his gps will show if he blows the call off.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    GPS is used by some departments for this reason.

    But what your saying would force officers into MORE interactions over dumb things.

    The neighbors call 6 times because they don't like the open carry group outside.... Well I guess officer friendly will be driving by 6 times and waving since his gps will show if he blows the call off.
    Actually, maybe officer friendly should make a detour by the second call and have a chat with the neighbors; you think?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  20. #20
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Actually, maybe officer friendly should make a detour by the second call and have a chat with the neighbors; you think?
    I agree. And it does happen sometimes. Especially when its continuous calls about legal activity.

    Unfortunately the people who make calls about legal activity because it "scares" them are part of the public that the "servants" serve. In fact they have the same right to service as you or I do. Sucks sometimes they abuse this right (I use that term loosely) to bother other good citizens, but it happens.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I agree. And it does happen sometimes. Especially when its continuous calls about legal activity.

    Unfortunately the people who make calls about legal activity because it "scares" them are part of the public that the "servants" serve. In fact they have the same right to service as you or I do. Sucks sometimes they abuse this right (I use that term loosely) to bother other good citizens, but it happens.
    Actually, if they are making calls about legal activities, the best "service" you can provide is to say: "Hey, Dumbass, what he is doing is perfectly legal. What you are doing is tying up police business with ignorant calls. Are you SURE you want me to start writing citations when I come out here?"
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  22. #22
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Actually, if they are making calls about legal activities, the best "service" you can provide is to say: "Hey, Dumbass, what he is doing is perfectly legal. What you are doing is tying up police business with ignorant calls. Are you SURE you want me to start writing citations when I come out here?"
    I agree Mac I really do. But its just not how of works. In fact from experience those same people who may call on a guy doing legal activity is the very first guy to make a complaint against you because you refused to do what they demand since they "pay your salary".

    Let me try and put it a better way. Where I live there is NO ordinance or law about dogs barking. So its legal. Right? (It'd be dumb to say your dog can't bark). Well I can't count how many barking dog calls I've gone to or seen other guys go to. Your clearly going to an activity that's perfectly legal. The problem is it "bothers" the person that is calling.

    Even if one wanted to be a real d bag about a barking dog you would have to cite for some OTHER infraction (disturbing the peace maybe? Doubtful.) Because the actual dog barking is legal. Of you blow of the call and say "hey dumb ass dogs bark get over it I'm not going to bother the owner of said puppy" you'd get serious complaints. Why? Because they work for the guy complaining just as much as they do for the dog owner.

    Now take dog barking (legal) and replace with ocing. Same thing. It's because another person is bothered by that activity that is legal.

    Even better.. Loud music. We don't have an ordinance that says you can't play music. Its only when someone calls and complains. The legal activity becomes "illegal" when another tax payer is bothered by it. We don't charge "loud music" we charge "disturbing the peace". The very definition is your otherwise LEGAL activity disturbed someone else.

    Not advocating for this just trying to explain the other side. When citizen A who pays your salary calls to complain about citizen B who pays your salary how do you tell either to get screwed in good faith? You can't. So you appease citizen A by speaking (NOT detain or arrest) citizen B.

    Its more of a pain in the azz then you know. Especially in a large city with people on top of people on top of other people who complain about this guy not putting trash out or that guy walks up the steps too loud or this girl slams her car door everynight and then she has all kinds or dudes over the house.... Lol wish I was making it up but I'm not.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  23. #23
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    GPS is used by some departments for this reason.
    But what your saying would force officers into MORE interactions over dumb things.
    No doubt. Lemme tell you a 'there I was' story.

    Our company had a mission to install computers and infrastructure with a popular coffee provider and once upon a time I was in Memphis on a Friday to do a store. No biggie, they generally take between 8 and 12 hours and I'd be back on my way to Atlanta that Friday evening. Installed, tested, documented, drove home an arrived about 2 or 3AM if I remember.

    Lo and behold, at 7AM on Saturday I got a call that said I had to go back to Memphis (On My Own Time, as that was the contract) and fix a problem. "What problem?" says I, "It worked perfectly when I left."
    "The store manager says his system won't work and he's called us directly to complain about your work. You. Go. Fix. We. No. Pay."
    "If I find that it's not my problem, you're paying."
    "You. go. fix."
    So, in the van grumbling the whole way as I Knew everything worked, I'd tested every system. Arrived to find a manager upset that it took me more than an hour to get there. "Sorry; you're 400 miles away, it takes a few minutes to get here. What's the problem?"
    "My printer doesn't work, I can't open the store!"
    "Hmm, that's odd the printer worked perfectly last night. I had to print a report on it to do the installation and get paid. Let me look."
    Go to the office, look at the printer, flip the power switch from Off to On and ask, "Did you call your help desk first?"
    "No, you guys installed it, I called you."
    "Okay, just sign here... and here. Thank you."
    "Anything else?"
    "No, the charge is for our standard minimum of four hours work, and since it's Saturday that's overtime. Oh, and you'll be charged for nine hours of travel each way. If you had called your help desk first, they would have asked you right off what lights were on your printer."
    "But..but..bu-"
    "Have a good day, Sir, I have to drive home now."
    Twenty-Two motherfreakin' hours to flip a dang switch that could have been solved with a 10-minute phone call to his help desk. At least I got paid.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 09-22-2014 at 03:59 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,268
    Misuse of emergency telephone service unlawful, definitions, penalty--no local fine or penalty for pay telephones for calls to emergency telephone service. - RSMo 190.308.

    1. In any county that has established an emergency telephone service pursuant to sections 190.300 to 190.320, it shall be unlawful for any person to misuse the emergency telephone service. For the purposes of this section, "emergency" means any incident involving danger to life or property that calls for an emergency response dispatch of police, fire, EMS or other public safety organization, "misuse the emergency telephone service" includes, but is not limited to, repeatedly calling the "911" for nonemergency situations causing operators or equipment to be in use when emergency situations may need such operators or equipment and "repeatedly" means three or more times within a one-month period.

    2. Any violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

    3. No political subdivision shall impose any fine or penalty on the owner of a pay telephone or on the owner of any property upon which a pay telephone is located for calls to the emergency telephone service made from the pay telephone. Any such fine or penalty is hereby void.
    Good luck getting a top cop and his minions to actually prosecute a citizen MWAGing a OCer.

    We know that the wrong burger order at the local fast food joint is a misuse and folks get held to account. But, MWAGing a OCer? Nope, cops ain't gunna set that precedent. It just ain't in them. Any jurisdiction that does not have such a statute/code is not interested in liberty, let alone education citizens the the term "emergency" means something. Cops should be advocating for such a statute...but, again, it just ain't in them.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Dispatch doesn't. The Sgt who runs comms does. You tell a dispatcher (civilian) to get screwed and you get written up by Sgt in there. So you "go" where they tell you. Period.

    Notice the "" around go? That's intentional. Do guys simply drive by and clear the call? Yes. Do guys not bothr even driving by and clear the call? Yes. But when you "go" to the call and clear it as if you were "there" and s***** hits the fan...... Its your a** on the line. That simple.

    So you either go to the call or you don't and it's on you.
    Fine, upstanding citizens and employees being described here. If I was to lie about doing my job I'd be fired. I wonder what happens to cops that lie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I agree Mac I really do. But its just not how of works. In fact from experience those same people who may call on a guy doing legal activity is the very first guy to make a complaint against you because you refused to do what they demand since they "pay your salary".

    Let me try and put it a better way. Where I live there is NO ordinance or law about dogs barking. So its legal. Right? (It'd be dumb to say your dog can't bark). Well I can't count how many barking dog calls I've gone to or seen other guys go to. Your clearly going to an activity that's perfectly legal. The problem is it "bothers" the person that is calling.

    Even if one wanted to be a real d bag about a barking dog you would have to cite for some OTHER infraction (disturbing the peace maybe? Doubtful.) Because the actual dog barking is legal. Of you blow of the call and say "hey dumb ass dogs bark get over it I'm not going to bother the owner of said puppy" you'd get serious complaints. Why? Because they work for the guy complaining just as much as they do for the dog owner.

    Now take dog barking (legal) and replace with ocing. Same thing. It's because another person is bothered by that activity that is legal.

    Even better.. Loud music. We don't have an ordinance that says you can't play music. Its only when someone calls and complains. The legal activity becomes "illegal" when another tax payer is bothered by it. We don't charge "loud music" we charge "disturbing the peace". The very definition is your otherwise LEGAL activity disturbed someone else.

    Not advocating for this just trying to explain the other side. When citizen A who pays your salary calls to complain about citizen B who pays your salary how do you tell either to get screwed in good faith? You can't. So you appease citizen A by speaking (NOT detain or arrest) citizen B.

    Its more of a pain in the azz then you know. Especially in a large city with people on top of people on top of other people who complain about this guy not putting trash out or that guy walks up the steps too loud or this girl slams her car door everynight and then she has all kinds or dudes over the house.... Lol wish I was making it up but I'm not.
    Cry me a river buddy.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •