Thread: Jesus Christ: Open Carry got him crucified?

Jesus Christ: Open Carry got him crucified?

From Newsweek:

Jesus Was Crucified Because Disciples Were Armed, Bible Analysis Suggests
    Jesus may have been crucified because his followers were carrying weapons, according to a scholarly analysis of New Testament books.

Dale Martin, a professor of religious studies at Yale University, says that this aspect of stories about Jesus, as told in the gospels, has received too little attention, but could alone explain Jesus’s execution and also show that the man from Nazareth was not the pacifist he’s usually made out to be.

The biblical books of Mark and Luke both state that at least one (and probably two or more) of Jesus’s followers was carrying a sword when Jesus was arrested shortly after the Last Supper, at the time of the Jewish festival of Passover.

This militant behavior almost certainly wouldn’t have been tolerated by the Romans, led by the prefect Pontius Pilate, Martin tells Newsweek. For example, historical documents show that it was illegal at the time to walk about armed in Rome and in some other Roman cities. Although no legal records survive from Jerusalem, it stands to reason, based on a knowledge of Roman history, that the region’s rulers would have frowned upon the carrying of swords, and especially wouldn’t have tolerated an armed band of Jews roaming the city during Passover, an often turbulent festival, Martin says.

“Just as you could be arrested in Rome for even having a dagger, if Jesus’s followers were armed, that would be reason enough to crucify him,” says Martin, whose analysis was published this month in the Journal for the Study of the New Testament.

Martin’s paper addresses an even more important question, says Bart Ehrman, a professor at the University of North Carolina: Why were Jesus’s followers armed at all, especially during a religious festival?

The paper also suggests that Jesus may have been in favor of fighting, at least in this apocalyptic instance, Ehrman tells Newsweek.

“It’s making me rethink my view that Jesus was a complete pacifist,” he says. “And it takes a lot for me to change my views about Jesus.”
    Gives new meaning, perhaps, to the phrase "What would Jesus do?"

Banned
    Well, he showed them !

Well I guess this really calls into question all the fairy tales about the purpose of his death . . . . hmmm?

Only for non-believers and heathens. We Bitter Clingers have known all along.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Only for non-believers and heathens. We Bitter Clingers have known all along.
    Though it feels like a gamble I'm going to go ahead an +1 this
    Advocate freedom please

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    What was illegal in the capital wasn't necessarily illegal everywhere else especially in a protectorate like Judea.

I don't buy it. Pontius Pilat's actions clearly points out by washing his hands but still continuing with the execution (after Herod and He found no faults) that it was for political reasons.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Though it feels like a gamble I'm going to go ahead an +1 this
    What's the gamble, please?

A gamble was the intellectual tipping point in my faith journey, that was Pascal's Wager. I came across it quite unexpectingly while studying decision theory.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    What's the gamble, please?

A gamble was the intellectual tipping point in my faith journey, that was Pascal's Wager. I came across it quite unexpectingly while studying decision theory.
    A gamble only because I rarely feel like I fully understand what you're saying. It wasn't really meant as a slam against you or what you said.
    Advocate freedom please

So what the good professor is saying is that Jesus got nailed (quite literally) for what somebody else was doing?

(What is that saying about how much things change they remain the same?)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    A gamble only because I rarely feel like I fully understand what you're saying. It wasn't really meant as a slam against you or what you said.
    I didn't hear a slam, just curious about what have been a interesting challenging question.

The premise is simple and straightforward, an intellectual justification for faith. Now when I confess my faith, I confess my mouth and heart but my mind-intellect struggles, but I think that's OK.

At least Peter was armed with a sword. He cut off one of the soldier's ears!

Jesus healed it.

The story is a bunch of hooey.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    At least Peter was armed with a sword. He cut off one of the soldier's ears!

Jesus healed it.

The story is a bunch of hooey.
    I am assuming you mean the story put here by the OP......

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I am assuming you mean the story put here by the OP....
    ... from Newsweak rather than the Faux-News or Da Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I am assuming you mean the story put here by the OP......
    Yes. Thanks for clarifying.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

... from Newsweak rather than the Faux-News or Da Blaze.
    Yes I apologized if it seemed like I was saying that the story was your story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wwjs.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	12076