• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jesus Christ: Open Carry got him crucified?

Repeater

From Newsweek:

Jesus Was Crucified Because Disciples Were Armed, Bible Analysis Suggests
Jesus may have been crucified because his followers were carrying weapons, according to a scholarly analysis of New Testament books.

Dale Martin, a professor of religious studies at Yale University, says that this aspect of stories about Jesus, as told in the gospels, has received too little attention, but could alone explain Jesus’s execution and also show that the man from Nazareth was not the pacifist he’s usually made out to be.

The biblical books of Mark and Luke both state that at least one (and probably two or more) of Jesus’s followers was carrying a sword when Jesus was arrested shortly after the Last Supper, at the time of the Jewish festival of Passover.

This militant behavior almost certainly wouldn’t have been tolerated by the Romans, led by the prefect Pontius Pilate, Martin tells Newsweek. For example, historical documents show that it was illegal at the time to walk about armed in Rome and in some other Roman cities. Although no legal records survive from Jerusalem, it stands to reason, based on a knowledge of Roman history, that the region’s rulers would have frowned upon the carrying of swords, and especially wouldn’t have tolerated an armed band of Jews roaming the city during Passover, an often turbulent festival, Martin says.

“Just as you could be arrested in Rome for even having a dagger, if Jesus’s followers were armed, that would be reason enough to crucify him,” says Martin, whose analysis was published this month in the Journal for the Study of the New Testament.

Martin’s paper addresses an even more important question, says Bart Ehrman, a professor at the University of North Carolina: Why were Jesus’s followers armed at all, especially during a religious festival?

The paper also suggests that Jesus may have been in favor of fighting, at least in this apocalyptic instance, Ehrman tells Newsweek.

“It’s making me rethink my view that Jesus was a complete pacifist,” he says. “And it takes a lot for me to change my views about Jesus.”

Gives new meaning, perhaps, to the phrase "What would Jesus do?"

sudden valley gunner

What was illegal in the capital wasn't necessarily illegal everywhere else especially in a protectorate like Judea.

I don't buy it. Pontius Pilat's actions clearly points out by washing his hands but still continuing with the execution (after Herod and He found no faults) that it was for political reasons.

stealthyeliminator

What's the gamble, please?

A gamble was the intellectual tipping point in my faith journey, that was Pascal's Wager. I came across it quite unexpectingly while studying decision theory.

A gamble only because I rarely feel like I fully understand what you're saying. It wasn't really meant as a slam against you or what you said.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So what the good professor is saying is that Jesus got nailed (quite literally) for what somebody else was doing?

(What is that saying about how much things change they remain the same?)

stay safe.