Thread: open carry at Kwik trip last evening

open carry at Kwik trip last evening

I was heading back home from a hard day of bear hunting with hounds. The bears were not cooperating and decided it was the best to stay in the very wet swamps and not run up ay trees.

Needless to say I was muddy wet and dressed for hunting, dog leashes, radio, camo and brush pants.

I carry my 7.5 inch stainless 44 Red hawk in a left side cross draw one of those small hard to see revolvers mostly showing to the front.

The wife informs me that I was coming through down I needed to stop at Kwik trip and pick up some things.

I walk in to the store no one says a thing I say hi to a couple of people I know an get my items and go up the counter to check out. There is a new clerk there I haven't seen before.

The clerk eyes got really big and he had a strange look on his face as I walked up. I lay items on the counter to check out ask him how his evenings going and to punch my milk card.

We finish our transaction He says see you next time I tell him have a nice evening and walk out.

Just another fine day living in the north woods.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 09-21-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I'm waiting for the Quick Trip in Oconto to open. It looked like they were going to be up and running in about two weeks when they started building it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    I'm waiting for the Quick Trip in Oconto to open. It looked like they were going to be up and running in about two weeks when they started building it.
    I just read in the paper the KT is looking to expand in the Milwaukee area. I hope they do. Their stores have bigger variety and better prices that the Speed Ways that permeate the area.

It is to be noted, however, that I frequently OC in the Speed ways in the West Allis area and have never had any problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I was heading back home from a hard day of bear hunting with hounds. The bears were not cooperating and decided it was the best to stay in the very wet swamps and not run up ay trees.

Needless to say I was muddy wet and dressed for hunting, dog leashes, radio, camo and brush pants.

I carry my 7.5 inch stainless 44 Red hawk in a left side cross draw one of those small hard to see revolvers mostly showing to the front.

The wife informs me that I was coming through down I needed to stop at Kwik trip and pick up some things.

I walk in to the store no one says a thing I say hi to a couple of people I know an get my items and go up the counter to check out. There is a new clerk there I haven't seen before.

The clerk eyes got really big and he had a strange look on his face as I walked up. I lay items on the counter to check out ask him how his evenings going and to punch my milk card.

We finish our transaction He says see you next time I tell him have a nice evening and walk out.

Just another fine day living in the north woods.
    I have to had good experiences at that KT you are talking about and the many others up and down the highways and byways in western WI. The same with the QT's down here in MO (where it is not banned by the citys, but come Oct. 11 that will change) and KS
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    [ ... ]The same with the QT's down here in MO (where it is not banned by the citys, but come Oct. 11 that will change) ...
    OC or QwikTrips ?

On the general topic of convenience stores, the nearest one is a hundred mile $50 round trip from here.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    I have to had good experiences at that KT you are talking about and the many others up and down the highways and byways in western WI. The same with the QT's down here in MO (where it is not banned by the citys, but come Oct. 11 that will change) and KS
    Times are changing for the better
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Times are changing for the better
    In some areas, in others not so much
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    I just read in the paper the KT is looking to expand in the Milwaukee area. I hope they do. Their stores have bigger variety and better prices that the Speed Ways that permeate the area.

It is to be noted, however, that I frequently OC in the Speed ways in the West Allis area and have never had any problem with it.
    They might have to put up penitentiary grade windows and doors with a policy of 'Only Two People In The Store At A Time Please' Sign, and the employees need to be trained how to use an Ak-47 under the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    They might have to put up penitentiary grade windows and doors with a policy of 'Only Two People In The Store At A Time Please' Sign, and the employees need to be trained how to use an Ak-47 under the counter.

West Allis isn't the core, you know. And the problems that are happening in the actual City of Milwaukee proper are isolated to a very small demographic area. I doubt Kwik Trip is opening up any new businesses in those locations.

By "Milwaukee area" I meant the entire county. Right now the closest KT around here is in Waukesha.

"punch my milk card" What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTC4 View Post
    "punch my milk card" What's that?

They have a card they bunch after so many gallons you get one free

West Allis isn't the core, you know. And the problems that are happening in the actual City of Milwaukee proper are isolated to a very small demographic area. I doubt Kwik Trip is opening up any new businesses in those locations.

By "Milwaukee area" I meant the entire county. Right now the closest KT around here is in Waukesha.
    I like Kwik Trip. We stopped at one super version in Lake City MN every Sunday for breakfast on way to church. Can't carry there bed MN doesn't accept our CCLs. Waiting for the next/legislature/ governor to sigh reciprocity on their end.

The one at 10750 W Speedway Dr, Franklin, WI 53132 is probably closer.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I like Kwik Trip. We stopped at one super version in Lake City MN every Sunday for breakfast on way to church. Can't carry there bed MN doesn't accept our CCLs. Waiting for the next/legislature/ governor to sigh reciprocity on their end.

One could just get a MN permit.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    The one at 10750 W Speedway Dr, Franklin, WI 53132 is probably closer.
    I'm not taking a trip just to go to the Trip. The Speedway is only 6 blocks away. But if a KT moved in and it was only a little further I would go there unless the gas was higher. KT's soda and such is noticeably cheaper.

I want them to move into the Milwaukee area so there are more choices and more competition. Both those things are usually good for the consumer.

They have a card they bunch after so many gallons you get one free
    Ahh.Cool. Thank you.

Been into KT's all over the state OC with the exception of Milwaukee. Never had any problems. The closest one to Milwaukee is probably Lake Mills between there and Madison. Had some kind of County LEO in front of me at cashier, but I don't think he noticed. Never said anything anyway. I'm usually in and out with my purchase, never talk to anyone and never really noticed any one staring at me.

I do get some people asking me about carrying in a commercial vehicle when I fuel and such. Most seem to think that guns and trucks are not allowed together. A fair (most) amount of trucking companies DO NOT allow firearms in their vehicles, but fortunately I do not work for one of them!

That's what they all say. I suppose... Can you explain why do we accept their CCLs and they won't ours? Who decided to accept theirs any way?

That's what they all say. I suppose... Can you explain why do we accept their CCLs and they won't ours? Who decided to accept theirs any way?
    CCW Reciprocity Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin

Under s. 165.25(12m), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Any person who is at least 21 years of age, who is not a Wisconsin resident, and who holds a valid concealed carry license issued by any of the states on DOJís list will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee, per s. 175.60 (1)(g).

DOJ has now promulgated an administrative rule, Wis. Admin. code s. Jus 17.13, under which DOJ will maintain on this website a list of all states that DOJ has found to conduct background checks comparable to Wisconsinís. In developing that list, DOJ determined that a background check is comparable to Wisconsinís only if it includes both a criminal history record search and a NICS search. It is necessary to require inclusion of NICS because that database includes some data related to potential disqualifying conditions that is not included in other national background check databases or in databases operated by individual states.

In establishing this list, DOJ has tried to be as inclusive as possible and has communicated with officials in every other state to obtain information about their background check laws and policies. This information is current as of 04/24/14. [ ... ]
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...ry/reciprocity
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider
    Can't carry there bec MN doesn't accept our CCLs.
    Waiting for the next/legislature/ governor to sigh reciprocity on their end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor
    Utah is probably cheaper & easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Utah is probably cheaper & easier to get.
    Very true!
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

I just realized something--whenever I've gone hunting, a lot of times I go into stores with a 5" fixed blade knife on my belt. Never thought much about it and I guess apparently neither had anyone else. Pays to not be in cities I guess.....