Thread: Help in Richland, WA

Help in Richland, WA

Hello, I just joined hoping to get some help in Richland, WA.

The parks department has started putting up "no guns" signs with the text below "except as permitted by RCW 9.41". Since open carry is not expressly mentioned in 9.41 (or anywhere for that matter) they seem to think they can ban it when state pre-emption says otherwise.

The problem is that I work for the city (unrelated department) and fear repercussion if I bring anything up. Would anyone here mind contacting them to attempt to enlighten them?

Park location: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2640...19.2482422,18z
    Sign (really, I rotated them, dunno what imgur is doing):

City Attorney: Heather Kintzley hkintzley@ci.richland.wa.us
    Director of Parks and Public Facilities: Joe Schiessl jschiessl@ci.richland.wa.us
    Recreation Manager of Parks and Public Facilities: Phil Pinard ppinard@ci.richland.wa.us

Thank you in advance for the help!

How new are theses signs?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Don't see this as an issue. RPD is aware that OC is legal.

I don't see an issue either. The only problem is they're hoping most will not understand the rcw 9.41 reference. Don't worry about the open carry part. Laws prohibit and restrict. If it's not expressly mentioned then it's legal.
    They're just playing word games.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Attachment 12043

A small piece of DT, located at the correct place........................hmmmmmmm.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by darthmuffin View Post
    Hello, I just joined hoping to get some help in Richland, WA.

The parks department has started putting up "no guns" signs with the text below "except as permitted by RCW 9.41". Since open carry is not expressly mentioned in 9.41 (or anywhere for that matter) they seem to think they can ban it when state pre-emption says otherwise.

The problem is that I work for the city (unrelated department) and fear repercussion if I bring anything up. Would anyone here mind contacting them to attempt to enlighten them?

Park location: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2640...19.2482422,18z
    Sign (really, I rotated them, dunno what imgur is doing):

City Attorney: Heather Kintzley hkintzley@ci.richland.wa.us
    Director of Parks and Public Facilities: Joe Schiessl jschiessl@ci.richland.wa.us
    Recreation Manager of Parks and Public Facilities: Phil Pinard ppinard@ci.richland.wa.us

Thank you in advance for the help!
    This is a great example of our public officials attempting to circumvent the law and insert their personal agenda. Immoral and dishonest and that is so typical of our current public officials. Approaching the firearms laws at anything other than from a neutral position is appalling. The problem is the people are not reacting until they do nothing will change. 200 Richland gun owners showing up at a City Council meeting would get the signs taken down.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Welcome aboard.

Isn't it a sad statement of our current affairs when those working for the public can't speak up for the public.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)