• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Major FAIL at Shoneys W. Broad St on 9/21

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Went out to Shoneys at 8415 W. Broad St. tonight, Sunday Sept. 21[SUP]st[/SUP] with DoubleTap and her mother. As many of you know, this has been the location of upteen well attended OC breakfasts.

First, the service was p-poor at best: had to seat ourselves (no host/hostess & no sign) then the only thing the server did was to forget to ask me if I wanted a refill on my drink (I did) and bring me the check. On the way to the cash register, I saw her sitting, twirling her hair, and talking to a male.

At the register with 3 separate checks (dutch treat) Diane's mom was given a senior discount w/o asking. I was last to pay and had to ask if I wasn't entitled to the discount too, after I was quoted full ticket price. As the adjustment was being made, I was told to leave "that" (my gun) in the car next time. When I inquired as to why, was told it was corporate policy.

Went through the short spiel as to how it was not corporate policy for customers, you could contribute to my gun being stolen, yada yada. Shoney's has always welcomed us in the past - choosing to honor the laws of Virginia.

Requested his name 3 times - he kept giving me a telephone number. I finally demanded his name and handed him pen and paper.

Will follow through up the ladder on Monday after the corporate office opens.

Don't ask whether I left a tip or not and yes, I had my recorder running.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You left a tip, ya old softy.

--snipped--
Many including myself tip well for standard/to be expected service. Exemplary service will garner a nice surprise - as much as 50%.

This evening the service, if administered fairly, would have justified comping the meal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've just been corrected by DoubleTap - seems she was offered the senior discount but her mother was not!

That's almost funny because DoubleTap obviously has a bottle of the fountain of youth elixer :)

rightwinglibertarian

With service like that I'm not sure even being OC friendly would tempt me back there if I were you. Good gracious, I've had better service at McDonalds

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With service like that I'm not sure even being OC friendly would tempt me back there if I were you. Good gracious, I've had better service at McDonalds
Part of the reason, a big part, is to educate the staff on the legality of OC in Virginia and to distinguish between employee rules and those that govern the conduct of patrons. Plus, everytime we eat there we educate a large group of customers....they're cheaper by the dozen.

Sure it is easier to just walk away, but that accomplishes nothing for our cause: to promote and defend the right to open carry as we go about our normal, everyday lives.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Chiming in from the Weekly Oulde Phartes Breakfast and Kardiology Klub (plus very dear friends and a not-so-tiny anymore mascot):

We (OCers generally) are well-known and a ray of sunshine for the staff at many locations around The Largest Collection of Second Place Trophies. Or at least the morning shift. It's not just for the largess we leave behind - We get thanked for our manners and cheerfulness not only with the staff but with other customers. Sure, there have been occassions when we and some customer did not see eye to eye but I cannot recall a single time when we were the ones raising our voices or otherwise disturbing the rest of the paying customers.

The proper response to this incident is to bring it to the Executive Committee of the Monthly OC Dinner with the suggestion/recommendation that we schedule a dinner there very soon. It's easy to tell one paying customer - after they have finished eating - not to come back but a bit more difficullt to tell a whole bunch of them not to return. And doubly so when the waitstaff is standing about grinning and talking among themselves about the folks who were so easy to deal with left them with possibly the biggest tip all week.

Finally, even though I'm a "come-here" I recognize an insult to Double Tap when I read about one. Her mother is "of a certain age" as well as being a wonderful person. Double Tap looks like her mother's grandchild, not someone entitled to a senior discount.

stay safe.

sidestreet

Absolutely, Skid…,

the behavior displayed by staff at Shoneys was a deliberate insult, and a swipe at ALL three of Grape's party. To be sure, the Shoneys today are not my father's Shoneys! If you have the notion to go there to fan the dying embers of some nostalgic flame, pass it by, someone pi$$ed on them and left a mess there.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

fjpro2a

Excellent Choice

Sure it is easier to just walk away, but that accomplishes nothing for our cause: to promote and defend the right to open carry as we go about our normal, everyday lives

You know what you are doing much more than I. Walking away would be a horrible choice. Did you finally get his name? When (not if) you get things straightened out, be sure to discuss this next time you go there with the person who told you to leave your gun in the car. Treat him with respect. Shake his hands now and then. Kill him with kindness, etc. ad nauseam.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sure it is easier to just walk away, but that accomplishes nothing for our cause: to promote and defend the right to open carry as we go about our normal, everyday lives

You know what you are doing much more than I. Walking away would be a horrible choice. Did you finally get his name? When (not if) you get things straightened out, be sure to discuss this next time you go there with the person who told you to leave your gun in the car. Treat him with respect. Shake his hands now and then. Kill him with kindness, etc. ad nauseam.
The local manager's name is Enrico (sp?).

Called Shoney's corporate office (804-346-3414) and spoke with District Mgr. Jeff at length. He had a small amount of info as Enrico called him after we left - would guess he (Enrico) felt concerned after the fact. Jeff said that he will discuss this up the corporate chain and get back with me this morning. Looking forward to it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Grapeshot is THE AMBASSADOR for gun owners. He's been at it a while.
Watching he and Skidmark turn an unpleasant situation into a 2A victory is entertaining.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Resolved in our favor

Just received a call from Jeff w/Shoney's corporate - we are welcome to carry in their restaurants either OC or CC :)

Their managers and staff will be so advised and yes I was given a nice apology. BTW - Jeff speaks the language of a gunny.

Is this a great country and state or what!!

That and I still love their strawberry pie - used to eat one in a single sitting, now takes me 3-4 attempts.

shoneys-strawberry-pie-5.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Still say we contact the OC Dinner Executive Committee about scheduling there real soon.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just received a call from Jeff w/Shoney's corporate - we are welcome to carry in their restaurants either OC or CC :)

Their managers and staff will be so advised and yes I was given a nice apology. BTW - Jeff speaks the language of a gunny.

Is this a great country and state or what!!

That and I still love their strawberry pie - used to eat one in a single sitting, now takes me 3-4 attempts.

shoneys-strawberry-pie-5.jpg

That was me calling pretending to be Jeff .... hahaha, just kidding. How fun would that have been though?

Next time you go there, post back on this thread .. see if it sticks.

DoubleTap

Kudos to you Grapeshot!

Excellent, excellent work. So many gatherings for the "breakfast club" and lunches/dinners over the years - that would have been a big loss. Glad you got it straight.

I think Skidmark's suggestion to have a dinner there is a good one (maybe we can get the senior discount - ha!). Strawberry pie awaits your return! BTW, mom is happy too

DoubleTap

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Excellent, excellent work. So many gatherings for the "breakfast club" and lunches/dinners over the years - that would have been a big loss. Glad you got it straight.

I think Skidmark's suggestion to have a dinner there is a good one (maybe we can get the senior discount - ha!). Strawberry pie awaits your return! BTW, mom is happy too

DoubleTap

I second that idea.
Nicely done as usual Grapeshot. :cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That was me calling pretending to be Jeff .... hahaha, just kidding. How fun would that have been though?

Next time you go there, post back on this thread .. see if it sticks.

Caller ID and and his private number precluded that.

See no problem on the horizon. There was one errant manager, who will get a handshake and smile with no hard feelings from me at a visit very soon.

rightwinglibertarian

Part of the reason, a big part, is to educate the staff on the legality of OC in Virginia and to distinguish between employee rules and those that govern the conduct of patrons. Plus, everytime we eat there we educate a large group of customers....they're cheaper by the dozen.

Sure it is easier to just walk away, but that accomplishes nothing for our cause: to promote and defend the right to open carry as we go about our normal, everyday lives.

I'd have ignored the OC issue and stopped going based on service alone. Even if that member of staff was educated and the store allowed carry, whats the point if you get treated like that. Of course I hear you on the education issue but I wouldnt based on the terrible service received and the fact I wouldnt be back there anyway.