• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memphis LEO encounter

Kopis

I was out on the bike Sunday morning running way late to our rally point and while ill leave out the details let's just say a very upset officer finally caught up with me (terrible rear visibility on sport bikes plus i wear earplugs so i didn't hear him) anyway, after he decided not to take me to jail, we conversed briefly about my carry permit. I generally inform even though i know you are not required to in TN because it gives me something else to talk to the officer about besides the reason i was stopped.

I was so concerned about other things at the time i forgot to tell him about the permit until he came back at which point i started to say i had a carry permit but wasn't carrying on the bike. Before i could say anything else, he started interrupting me and waving his hand. He said the state of TN does not require you to inform LEOs and as far as I'm concerned if you AREN'T carrying in Memphis, you deserve to get shot. He got me laughing pretty hard over that. He also mentioned the new TN vehicle carry law. Anyway, just wanted to share, not LEOs are anti 2A.

independence

You always have hilarious encounters with cops, lol!

Be careful out there. Would hate to see you squashed on the highway one day.

Kopis

so true! all my friends and family wonder how i get so lucky. I have no idea honestly. Im just always very upfront with them.

Thanks, ill try. I do wear full gear from head to toe but it's no force field. I typically only ride like that at the track but i was running late and traffic was super light early sunday am. Oh well, live and learn. I accepted full responsibility for my actions and he liked that.

Last edited:

Kopis

Most LEOs are very pro 2nd-when it comes to them personally.

yes, but you dont often hear of an LEO that says "you arent required to inform me" even if that is the law. All of my LEO encounters have been great over the years except one which did end well.

HPmatt

Why did he work so hard to catch up to you then? To so have a good day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kopis

Why did he work so hard to catch up to you then? To so have a good day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably for the fun of it..... i would if i was an LEO lol.

Id prefer not to post details but it was pretty bad, i generally keep street riding/track riding separate but it was too tempting with the light traffic.

rightwinglibertarian

Kopis

Deer and other critters can be really nasty at legal highway speeds.

Let alone at very high speeds

The older I get the more legal I ride.

yes sir, one of my good friends, expert level rider, also a fedex pilot hit a deer about two years ago. Couldnt pass his flight physical after surgery. Luckily, fedex pilots have huge accounts so he got into another line of work but there are certainly some risks whether it's from our riding or cagers. luckily, we dont have too many deer on the roads around memphis but we do seem them from time to time in certain areas. Deer are so weird...... high speed car/bike=aint skeered but rustling leaves=panic and run!