• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

911 v Glock

SFCRetired

P97DC is my EDC.

If I run out of ammo, I could darn near build a house with it.
That's why I like my Ruger. If I can't hit him with the bullets, I can throw the thing at him and do some serious damage! :lol:

This is the fifth Ruger I've owned (two revolvers and three pistols) and I have, in all these years, only seen one malfunction. Everyone who saw it agreed that it was due to the shooter's (not me) limp wristing it. We corrected his hold, gave him a few pointers, and he did very well thereafter.

The Truth

I almost bought a Glock, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Even a G29 with G20 mag and grip extension. Even a G21 converted to .40 Super. I'm converting a Sig Emperor Scorpion 1911 to .460 Rowland instead. What can I say, I love Sigs but I never ever planned on owning a 1911 either.

WalkingWolf

For those who don't already know I am a Glock guy, I love my 22 and how simple it is and the fact its tough as nails. I feel like the 1911's look to big and wouldn't like having the hammer back.

There is a reason why 65% of LEOs use Glocks, wanting to become one myself, I trust what they trust: http://us.glock.com/products/sector/law-enforcement :cool:

The reason is Glock virtually gives them the guns...

If you are LEA administrator would you pay for a 1911 when you can get a Glock almost free? The non blue label public, and somewhat blue label buyers pay for police dept guns. Glock has been known to literally take guns in trade for new guns with very very little outlay, and sometimes for nothing.

I own three Glocks, one used, two blue label. I would not have bought them at even online prices without the blue label program. We should be honest, Glocks are the cheapest guns for police depts to buy. They cost less than a Hi Point.

solus

The reason is Glock virtually gives them the guns...

If you are LEA administrator would you pay for a 1911 when you can get a Glock almost free? The non blue label public, and somewhat blue label buyers pay for police dept guns. Glock has been known to literally take guns in trade for new guns with very very little outlay, and sometimes for nothing.

I own three Glocks, one used, two blue label. I would not have bought them at even online prices without the blue label program. We should be honest, Glocks are the cheapest guns for police depts to buy. They cost less than a Hi Point.

while a glock (shudder) thread remember the other firearm manufacturers, sig and FN also offer significant discounts through dealers who only cater to those belonging to the blue & red family communities.

ipse

J_dazzle23

while a glock (shudder) thread remember the other firearm manufacturers, sig and FN also offer significant discounts through dealers who only cater to those belonging to the blue & red family communities.

ipse
This debate that comes up is no more black and white than the 9mm/.45 debate. Different tools 45 for different jobs. Different strokes for different folks. Glock has proven reliability, and is phenomenally lightweight for its firepower, although it isn't as pretty or stylish.

1911 is a heavier duty steel frame with a to die for trigger and great looks.

I have both, but have my glock on me more often than the 1911, because weight and ammo capacity are important to me, as per my use and situation. When I was in montana, chances of bears being around were much better, I ditched my glock 19 for the 1911.

Why oh why do we have to pick? Pick both! One for each hip :)

mobiushky

This debate that comes up is no more black and white than the 9mm/.45 debate. Different tools 45 for different jobs. Different strokes for different folks. Glock has proven reliability, and is phenomenally lightweight for its firepower, although it isn't as pretty or stylish.

1911 is a heavier duty steel frame with a to die for trigger and great looks.

I have both, but have my glock on me more often than the 1911, because weight and ammo capacity are important to me, as per my use and situation. When I was in montana, chances of bears being around were much better, I ditched my glock 19 for the 1911.

Why oh why do we have to pick? Pick both! One for each hip :)
No! Must fight about irrelevant problems! Must prove I am right and you are wrong! LOL. Just messing. I'm with ya!

cjohnson44546

I'll take a double stack 1911 any day over a Glock... 13+1 45, or 17+1 9mm in a 1911. People act like Glocks are the only way to get a double stack.

J_dazzle23

I'll take a double stack 1911 any day over a Glock... 13+1 45, or 17+1 9mm in a 1911. People act like Glocks are the only way to get a double stack.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh the plot thickens....next We are gonna have a 1911 die hard that insists a double stack 1911 isn't a true 1911

;);)

Rusty Young Man

Give one inch... :p

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the plot thickens....next We are gonna have a 1911 die hard that insists a double stack 1911 isn't a true 1911

;);)

That'd be me.:p
"Different strokes for different folks", but ONLY a 1911* for me blokes.:D

You accept small changes to the 1911, and pretty soon you start getting things like tighter tolerances that affect reliability, external extractors (Kimber), firing pin blocks (Colt, Para), polymer frames, etc.

You allow ONE single-stack 1911 to flourish, and pretty soon you get this:
AF2011_A1-300x198_thumb.jpg

Which opens up the door to this:
af-2011_4barrels.jpg

:lol: :lol:

*Actually, I seem to like Browning designs and other time-proven, all-steel designs.

NOTE: This post, as well as the first one I made (the one with the "Glock 1911" pics) was made in a light-hearted manner, as I believe was the intention of this thread.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

I see nothing wrong with those guns^. Personally, I'd be a fan of somebody digging up the plans of a browning over/under 1911:)

mobiushky

Can't we all just get along? (actually, this is one of the better photoshops I've seen)

3855506f5c1d20bdf.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
For those who don't already know I am a Glock guy, I love my 22 and how simple it is and the fact its tough as nails. I feel like the 1911's look to big and wouldn't like having the hammer back.

I certainly understand. I know people who have been driving for years and do best with an auto transmission pickup truck because they will just destroy anything else. They don't get the finesse of screaming to the turn-in point of a corner, heel-toeing into it as you slip down a few gears, holding through the apex carrying your line with your throttle and then squeezing into the throttle and grabbing gears as it straightens out .... Kinda like carrying a Glock instead of a 1911. Some people just need the linear simplicity of a Glock.

*ducks*
I love these kind of threads when I can pick on Glock guys :p

Primus

I certainly understand. I know people who have been driving for years and do best with an auto transmission pickup truck because they will just destroy anything else. They don't get the finesse of screaming to the turn-in point of a corner, heel-toeing into it as you slip down a few gears, holding through the apex carrying your line with your throttle and then squeezing into the throttle and grabbing gears as it straightens out .... Kinda like carrying a Glock instead of a 1911. Some people just need the linear simplicity of a Glock.

*ducks*
I love these kind of threads when I can pick on Glock guys :p

Is that what you do when you play gran turismo? Heel toe power shift? :D

FreeInAZ

On topic - I like them both. One is sleek and functional ... The other? Well function over form as it is said. Both very good guns IMHO. What would I want in all batcrap SHTF situation? The one that offers capacity and the ability to fire thousands of rounds with little to no maintenance. YMMV & that's cool too. Why? What works for me, may not be what works for you. :cool:

Last edited: