Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New to Open Carry. Please advise. Any and all advise is welcomed!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7

    Question New to Open Carry. Please advise. Any and all advise is welcomed!

    Greetings,

    I have decided (for many reasons) to open carry. I will be getting my CPL in a few months, I am currently studying at a University where my understanding is I can not carry. (am i correct) Secondly, can anyone tell me where I CAN OC? I would be mostly in public spaces, but are there any suggestions on places in the Kalamazoo area as to where to and not to OC?


    Thanks in advance.

    PS: Please understand I am VERY new to this and may not be abreast of all the customs and "norms" of OC. So please be patient with me.



    -turn_key21

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Welcome to OCDO. When in Rome, do as the Romans do - read for a while, lurk, and learn to use the internal search function (upper right) and your favorite external search function, many of which have site-search capabilities, often using a format like <keyword>_site:forum.opencarry.org. Welcome.

    Believe nothing read or heard without verifying it oneself unless it Weltanschauung congruent.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by turn_key21 View Post
    Greetings,

    I have decided (for many reasons) to open carry. I will be getting my CPL in a few months, I am currently studying at a University where my understanding is I can not carry. (am i correct) Secondly, can anyone tell me where I CAN OC? I would be mostly in public spaces, but are there any suggestions on places in the Kalamazoo area as to where to and not to OC?


    Thanks in advance.

    PS: Please understand I am VERY new to this and may not be abreast of all the customs and "norms" of OC. So please be patient with me.



    -turn_key21

    I think the legality of OC on your school's campus is, at least for you, beside the point. As a student, you are bound by the schools rules/regulations. That would be the place to look. My guess is that the school prohibits the mere possession of firearms and doing so may cause you to be asked to sever your relationship.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    181
    This link may help you get started. www.miopencarry.org/faq

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I think the legality of OC on your school's campus is, at least for you, beside the point. As a student, you are bound by the schools rules/regulations. That would be the place to look. My guess is that the school prohibits the mere possession of firearms and doing so may cause you to be asked to sever your relationship.
    I have spoken to two well-respected firearms attorneys in michigan since i'm a college student. they both agree that non-student's can open carry with a CPL on college campuses, but a student would still be subject to the school's policies.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eau Claire/Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    26
    Make sure to review and study the laws pertaining to carrying and possessing a firearm and do plenty of reading on this website to learn from what the rest of us have been through, before OCing. There are plenty of little things that need to be understood or you could find yourself in some legal trouble.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Pm me your email address and I'll send you the second edition of my Michigan oc handbook if you want. It's not quite ready for release yet, needs a couple slight changes but I'd be happy to send it to you and it'll help you hit the ground running if you want.
    Last edited by Michigander; 09-22-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Pm me your email address and I'll send you the second edition of my Michigan oc handbook if you want. It's not quite ready for release yet, needs a couple slight changes but I'd be happy to send it to you and it'll help you hit the ground running if you want.
    great idea Michigander!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    145
    Just dont open carry a long gun. We can't talk about long gun open carry on this site, partly because it causes more harm than good.

    Part of open carry is being active. Talk to your representatives if you can.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •