• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open Carry. Please advise. Any and all advise is welcomed!

turn_key21

Greetings,

I have decided (for many reasons) to open carry. I will be getting my CPL in a few months, I am currently studying at a University where my understanding is I can not carry. (am i correct) Secondly, can anyone tell me where I CAN OC? I would be mostly in public spaces, but are there any suggestions on places in the Kalamazoo area as to where to and not to OC?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Please understand I am VERY new to this and may not be abreast of all the customs and "norms" of OC. So please be patient with me.

-turn_key21

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Greetings,

I have decided (for many reasons) to open carry. I will be getting my CPL in a few months, I am currently studying at a University where my understanding is I can not carry. (am i correct) Secondly, can anyone tell me where I CAN OC? I would be mostly in public spaces, but are there any suggestions on places in the Kalamazoo area as to where to and not to OC?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Please understand I am VERY new to this and may not be abreast of all the customs and "norms" of OC. So please be patient with me.

-turn_key21

I think the legality of OC on your school's campus is, at least for you, beside the point. As a student, you are bound by the schools rules/regulations. That would be the place to look. My guess is that the school prohibits the mere possession of firearms and doing so may cause you to be asked to sever your relationship.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I think the legality of OC on your school's campus is, at least for you, beside the point. As a student, you are bound by the schools rules/regulations. That would be the place to look. My guess is that the school prohibits the mere possession of firearms and doing so may cause you to be asked to sever your relationship.
I have spoken to two well-respected firearms attorneys in michigan since i'm a college student. they both agree that non-student's can open carry with a CPL on college campuses, but a student would still be subject to the school's policies.

Redneck125

Make sure to review and study the laws pertaining to carrying and possessing a firearm and do plenty of reading on this website to learn from what the rest of us have been through, before OCing. There are plenty of little things that need to be understood or you could find yourself in some legal trouble.

Michigander

Pm me your email address and I'll send you the second edition of my Michigan oc handbook if you want. It's not quite ready for release yet, needs a couple slight changes but I'd be happy to send it to you and it'll help you hit the ground running if you want.

Last edited:

Raggs

Pm me your email address and I'll send you the second edition of my Michigan oc handbook if you want. It's not quite ready for release yet, needs a couple slight changes but I'd be happy to send it to you and it'll help you hit the ground running if you want.

great idea Michigander!

Plan B

Banned
Just dont open carry a long gun. We can't talk about long gun open carry on this site, partly because it causes more harm than good.

Part of open carry is being active. Talk to your representatives if you can.