• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy intro

BlueSquid

Hey all, Michigander transplant to the great Commonwealth of Virginia, by way of the Navy random dartboard-o-orders. Definitely not complaining, though, love it here so far, and it doesn't get much more 2A friendly than this. Was here for just about 9 months starting in 2013, was gone for 6 months on deployment and just returned about 3 weeks ago to my wife and newborn baby girl. Been on this site a good number of times, I believe the term is "lurking." Figured I should make an account and say hey. Great info here, and all seem like good people. I don't have a CHP, but am considering getting one. I have always open carried at and around my home, and just recently began doing so out on town, rather than leaving a useless paperweight in my truck. Anyway, I know you all probably don't care for a long story about me, just wanted to drop in and say hey, and that I love what you guys are doing and stand for!

-BlueSquid

va_tazdad

Welcome aboard!

Even if you are a transplant AND Navy at that. We accept all kinds and do our darned best not to tell too many squid jokes. (USAF, Army and Navy in my family).

We have weekly Saturday morning breakfasts and monthly dinners here in Richmond. There is even a Pig Roast October 5th and you and the family are welcome, but others will tell you that.

There is a great wealth of information here and a very diverse group. Please feel welcome at any of the events.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Howdy BlueSquid, glad to have you and your family! I hope you enjoy your time in Virginia. Check out VCDL (Virginia Citizen's Defense League www.vcdl.org ) and join in on some local lunches and dinners as you see them posted here!

* As a side note, my church has had a recent influx of Michiganders, some of whom I've found were active in firearm politics via MI Gun Owners before arriving here. It's a good reminder that some of us northern types (Ohio here) appreciate arms and our rights as well. :)

The Truth

Welcome to the Commonwealth, sir! The pig roast would be a perfect opportunity to meet a bunch of us!

You wouldn't happen to be a SeaBee would ya? One of my closest friends is EOD.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even if you are a transplant AND Navy at that. We accept all kinds and do our darned best not to tell too many squid jokes. (USAF, Army and Navy in my family).

We have weekly Saturday morning breakfasts and monthly dinners here in Richmond. There is even a Pig Roast October 5th and you and the family are welcome, but others will tell you that.

There is a great wealth of information here and a very diverse group. Please feel welcome at any of the events.

1 - Greater Ricmond Sat. OC breakfasts - location generally announced on Friday.

2 - Greater Ricmond OC dinner - 2nd Tuesday of each month, announced 10 - 14 days ahead.

3 - Pig Roast, Oct 5[SUP]th[/SUP]- It's free! Skidmark is saying "thank you" for the support during his tribulations w/Surry.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123996-I-need-a-head-count-on-who-wants-free-pulled-pork-and-other-tasty-stuff

Point is to get out and mingle - a few hours of face time is worth more than months of on-line connections.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And yet another welcome to OCDO and the Commonwealth. As a former Marine* I want to thank you and all the other squids for ferrying us to places where we could blow up stuff and such like.

As has been mentioned, look for the open carry events near you. The Tidewater folks seem to get together about once a quarter or when their memory of the last event has faded, whichever their therapists says is better.

And yes, even as a squid you will be welcome to the pig roast Oct 5th. While an RSVP is not mandatory it will help with the planning. Just be sure to introduce yourself - or if willing to be disarmed show up in uniform so we will know it's you. :p

stay safe.

* - They told me to tell people i used to be one but am no longer one and will never again be allowed to be one. Made me happy when I heard it.

BlueSquid

Ok, gonna try to respond to some of you guys. Sorry if I miss anyone, be sure to yell at me if I do and I'll remedy that. First, thanks all for the warm welcome, it's nice to find like-minded folks in the area. Michigan isn't exactly gun-unfriendly, but as much as I miss it, it's a far cry from Virginia. I'm certainly not an expert and I'll never claim to be, I will admit when I'm wrong and actively seek information from you folks, even if I'm just searching the forums and not making posts about it. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the events board. As a matter of fact, the pig roast is what finally pushed me from anonymous onlooker to making an account and posting. When reading about it I was definitely interested in attending as long as my Navy schedule allows for it, which it should. I'm sorry I was unable to contribute to Skid's cause but I'd love to show my support still. My wife likes meeting new people, and it's always good to get the wee one out to socialize a bit. My wife and I are both closer to 30 than 20, and a little more mature (where it counts) than a lot of folks we know, so don't expect any problems from us at any meetups we make it out to. I don't mind the squid jokes, and I'm sure I've got a few to return as well :p Thank you for the offer ProShooter, I may just take you up on that. I'm not a SeaBee, but one of my high school friends is. I'm a conventional electrician's mate, it kinda sucks but hey that's the military for ya. Still, I'm glad I joined and have this experience, regardless of whether or not I make a career out of it. And you're welcome, Skid. It's nice when we're actually doing something other than cutting holes in the ocean and being overpaid janitors.

So yeah, sorry if that block of text is annoying to read. Sometimes I ramble. Thanks again, folks! Look forward to meeting some of you at the roast!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll add one more welcome Squid!
Looking forward to seeing you at the pig roast. Look for the fellow with the camera and pearl grips :uhoh::uhoh:

Skidmark....I didn't think there were any former Marine's. Young Marine's, Old Marine's but always a Marine. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Looking forward to seeing you at the pig roast. Look for the fellow with the camera and pearl grips :uhoh::uhoh:

Skidmark....I didn't think there were any former Marine's. Young Marine's, Old Marine's but always a Marine. :p

Did the government disavow any knowledge of him and destroy all records or did Corps buy him a bottle of single malt scotch and a carton of cigarettes?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

They told me that even if I wanted to reenlist I would not be allowed to, and that if the balloon ever went up again they would drag my 4-F WWII vet father back before calling me back, and that if I were to be called back it would only be to drop me on the other side. (And all that after they had involuntarily extending my active duty for 15 months and 8 days for the convenience of the government.)

It's a mutual thing. I used to be one. I am no longer one. They don't want me to claim them and I don't care. (Now, as for why - all I can tell you without having someone come up behind you and kill you some dark night is that it has to do with why I will always be delayed on a background check. Somebody deep underground in some basement wants to know why anybody is asking about me.)

stay safe.

The Truth

No shame in a "researching" background check. I had to wait 6 days last time, hopefully next time will be quicker, but I'm not counting on it.

They told me I *might* have the same digits as some wanted man or something. Load of BS.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No shame in a "researching" background check. I had to wait 6 days last time, hopefully next time will be quicker, but I'm not counting on it.

They told me I *might* have the same digits as some wanted man or something. Load of BS.

When did they start checking fingers?

Next time try it without giving them your SSA number. It's not required.

Or you could apply for a "I give up - gimme a special number" number.

stay safe.

2a4all

Hey all, Michigander transplant to the great Commonwealth of Virginia, by way of the Navy random dartboard-o-orders. Definitely not complaining, though, love it here so far, and it doesn't get much more 2A friendly than this. Was here for just about 9 months starting in 2013, was gone for 6 months on deployment and just returned about 3 weeks ago to my wife and newborn baby girl. Been on this site a good number of times, I believe the term is "lurking." Figured I should make an account and say hey. Great info here, and all seem like good people. I don't have a CHP, but am considering getting one. I have always open carried at and around my home, and just recently began doing so out on town, rather than leaving a useless paperweight in my truck. Anyway, I know you all probably don't care for a long story about me, just wanted to drop in and say hey, and that I love what you guys are doing and stand for!

-BlueSquid
Welcome aboard, BlueSquid! That same dart board is how we got here (twice, actually).

Hope to see you at Skid's shindig.