Thread: Obama's plastic salute to USMC. VIDEO

Obama's plastic salute to USMC. VIDEO

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I am sorry but with everything that is going on I do not see this as a biggie issue.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

If I ever saluted an officer with a cup in my hand I would probably still be doing push-ups. Maybe not an issue as important as to what is going on in SWA, but that is pure disrespect to the honor of saluting.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    If I ever saluted an officer with a cup in my hand I would probably still be doing push-ups. Maybe not an issue as important as to what is going on in SWA, but that is pure disrespect to the honor of saluting.
    Well said +1. Push ups would be the break in between bear crawls, low/high crawls, and burpees....
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    This guy sends uses the institution our brothers serve in for his unconstitutional wars, willing to have them die and kill for him, but wont show them the respect of that institution?

Normally I am with WW no biggie, but what an Asshat!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

According to the Constitution the President, who may not be a serving military officer, it the titular Commander in Chief of the armed forces. That's like the president of GE also being declared in the bylaws the captain of the company baseball team.

The Commander in Chief is useful when trotted out for certain specific ceremonial duties. Regardless, he is due, under military manners, a salute. As the President - as opposed to the Commander in Chief - he really has no right to return a salute. Over the years Presidents have played soldier when it suited them, and that includes returning salutes. Think of it as the company boss thinking that if he gives you a high five he will be seen as "one of the guys". You know and he knows it will never happen, but it gives him the opportunity to declare that he really is not a stuck-up child of unwed parents.

If anything, the styrofoam wave he gave reinforces the image many Americans (in and out of the military) already have of him both as President as Commander in Chief.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    This guy sends uses the institution our brothers serve in for his unconstitutional wars, willing to have them die and kill for him, but wont show them the respect of that institution?

Well said brother
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Banned
    He was shielding his eyes from the monster behind him .... I would too

Banned
    Why is this of any consequence?

It's really not of any consequence. The only people that care are people that have probably been punished for a shiddy salute while in the service, or whose superior made them wear a 6" diameter butt plug for not properly starching their dress blues.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by state hater View Post
    Why is this of any consequence?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    It's really not of any consequence. The only people that care are people that have probably been punished for a shiddy salute while in the service, or whose superior made them wear a 6" diameter butt plug for not properly starching their dress blues.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post

Refer you svgs response. He said it pretty well. And for the record last time I checked he was never in the military nor even really likes it. Also, he's certainly not a statist and probably doesnt like "6in butt plugs", yet he's smart enough (no surprise) to get why its seen as an insult.

It's much then just training and cringing at the bad salute. Its the principle behind it.

Do higher-ranking officers/CINC actually have to return a salute?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    With exceptions, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Higher ranking officers... Yes, by military regulation (with exception as noted by Nightmare)
    Commander in Chief...... No.

Little history on the subject...
    Before Reagan was elected President, no President had ever returned the ceremonial salute. Not even General of the Army (Five Star) Dwight D. Eisenhower. He did not salute after he became a civilian and was elected President.

Reagan began the practice in '81 but was advised that it went against military protocol for civilians, even sitting Presidents to return salutes. Reagan ultimately took the matter up with General Robbert Barrow, Commandant of the Marine Corps. General Barrow said that as Commander in Chief, Reagan was entitled to offer a salute - or any sign of respect he wished - to anyone he wished.

I only have direct knowledge of the Army's Regulations on the subject but they are thus:

1–5. Hand salutes and salutes with arms
    a. For instructions on executing the hand salute, see FM 3–21.5, paragraph 4–4.
    b. All Army personnel in uniform are required to salute when they meet and recognize persons entitled to the salute.
    Salutes will be exchanged between officers (commissioned and warrant) and enlisted personnel, and with personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard), the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service entitled to the salute
    f. The President of the United States, as the commander in chief, will be saluted by Army personnel in uniform.
    The reader may notice the inclusion of NOAA and PHS officers as being entitled to salutes even though they are not military persons or organizations.

Saluting is not inappropriate on the part of the President, but it's not required of him.

Little anecdote...
    At one time long, long ago, someone got tapped on the head by the Good Idea Fairy and thought it might be fun to require soldiers, not in uniform, to salute when they met and recognized persons entitled to the salute. The idea being that just because you weren't in uniform it didn't mean you couldn't render appropriate honors. It was debated in the inner rings of the Pentagon but never adopted.

I thought that was a terrible waste, I already had sombrero's and space helmets picked out to stand in front of the PX with and salute.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 09-24-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Seems like a case of "two wrongs don't make a right" to me.

It's an empty gesture for them (consider: it's mandatory), and it's an empty gesture for him as well.

In other news, I will be using the bathroom now.

UPDATE! Flack words speak louder than actions. Obama, highest respect for MC-1 pilots

“The president has the highest amount of respect for the men and women who are responsible for operating the presidential helicopter. These are experts in their field,” he said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-white-house-/

And their draggin' his ... around.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Seems like a case of "two wrongs don't make a right" to me.

It's an empty gesture for them (consider: it's mandatory), and it's an empty gesture for him as well.

In other news, I will be using the bathroom now.
    Please be careful to use TP to salute your behind instead of a latte...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Please be careful to use TP to salute your behind instead of a latte...
    ... and in the left cack-hand.

This is the proper way to salute:
    http://redsfan.newsvine.com/_news/20...salute-scandal

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    Like I said before, it is not a big deal, and not worth wasting time over. Even though Obama is a dufus.

Besides if I remember correctly Bush is no longer President.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 09-24-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    God damn you're smug.

Why not just leave it at "who gives a crap?" like the rest of us.

Just responding to those who feel that a not perfect salute is an indication of how the person saluting feels about the salutee.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    God damn you're smug.

Why not just leave it at "who gives a crap?" like the rest of us.
    Because it wouldn't give him the chance to bash Bush.

Like we really care much about him either.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)